Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Haven't stirred the pot much, so here we go.....

Moderator Emeritus

22 is still fine and meets the qualifications of a survival food getter. Just make sure you have single shots not auto loaders when you are out practicing. You already set your 10 k aside in the 90's didn't you?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Great Link
    Thanks
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Buddy
    22 is rare at walmart here, hit and miss at the big box sporting goods stores. Somebody ALWAYS has it on the local swap and sell, gougers. I think .10 rd is the new norm, last I bought was online, but being very conservative and shooting lots more 38 which I believe has pretty much taken the top spot for a survival gun. I do question some of the cost per round claims nowadays though. It seems almost too cheap in some cases for the reloadable calibers with primer and powder costs the way they are.
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Boolit Buddy
    Commenting on char gar's post, 4 years ago I started shooting my 32/20 O.P's load 3.5gr 231 under a pb 3118 type bullet in my Marlin 94. An inexpensive accurate load @ 1100fps, equally accurate with hornady's hbwc. While I'm not selling my .22's he makes an excellent point.

I curtailed my .22lr use severely last year.
    We did shoot some 200 rounds when we got a new Ruger Mk3 (22/45 6" bull barrel, stainless)
    My rifle that normally shoots a brick or 2 per year shot I think a single box.

I'm sitting on a nice stash, and I added to it when Armscor and CCI partnered up to make a good offer.
    I bought 2k rounds, and I'm glad I did.

But I have been shooting a lot more centerfire, everything from little 7.62x25 up through .444 and .45acp.
    If you can cast your own boolits, and shop wisely for powder and primers you can reload for the cost of .22lr.

Boolit Buddy
    To me 2k isnt a good stash thats just two or three weekends of shooting at my old rate

ADMIN

I stockpiled all my supplies years ago.
    223,308,7.62x39.5.45x39 and 22lr
    I don't reload those and I have enough... and when I say enough trust me its plenty.

Now for pistol calibers I can still load 38sp for around 7 cents a round using supplies that I have. This price doesn't include the brass case as its reusable.

The problem that 22lr isn't around is that people are still hording it.
    They are still making just as much as before but all the distributors have so much on backorder that it doesn't make it to the big box stores.
    Everyone was use to just going to the store and buying what they needed the day they were going to the range.
    I guess I am still sitting on about 10K rounds of 22lr but to be honest that isn't enough when the boy can shoot a entire box (333 rounds) at one range visit and thats with a single shot 22lr bolt gun.

I do know that my buddy can get a case (5K rounds) of Remington 22lr every week. It comes directly off the truck and goes to a shelf in the warehouse section of the store. There is piles of it stockpiled there. The employees and their friends go buy it when they need it.
    When the shelf gets full they put some out on the floor for sale.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    I've switched over to .22 air guns. At the distances that are useful to me it is a good trade. I gave away all my 22lr to relatives to use on their farm.

I can also shoot the pellet gun in my suburban back yard which is very nice.
    Pellet guns are very different than when I was a kid. Very accurate.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I was never in the 22 camp . I figure if it all comes undone I will have to deal with lions ,bears and coyote scavengers and the 2 legs. 357 was always my choice having had a 1895 Marlin and a Sec 6 . I have shifted to 45s in the last few years with the idea that there is so many hardened vests it's as good to break bones as poke holes. I do have some small case rifles as well. If I had to pack and go to escape the hoards Im pretty sure I would fall into the cowboy/frontier mind set of pistol and rifle 1 cartridge and it wouldn't be a 22 there's just too much to go wrong when a 300 lb black bear or 200 lb mtn lion wants part of the Mustang you're butchering at dusk.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

The .22 rimfire has never been of much interest to me and at $.10/rd none at all. Small pistol primers have been in the low $20./k range for some time now and that's where I'm spending my plinking money. The last batch I bought got to my door at about $26/ thousand including shipping and hasmat. Couple that with about 4 grs of Bullseye or 5 grs of Unique and cast bullets and we are in the .03-.035 cents per round. I can do very well without .22's.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    I have not been a fan of 22lr because you can't reload it without jumping through hoops.

I have been a bit surprised at the lack of shooters moving over to centerfire..22s. The Hornet, k hornet, swift and 22-250 rounds are all good to great 22lr substitutes which are easily reloaded.

Being black powder shooter I tend to gravitate to larger rounds.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a great love for the 22 rimfires, but that is based almost entirely on their "fun potential". They are easily managed by less-experienced shooters, they instill almost zero fatigue, and good ammo in a good firearm can be VERY ACCURATE. I miss the days of readily-available 22 LR ammo, and "went decadent" a couple weekends back......I ran about 225 rounds of rimfire ammo at ground squirrels. Just because. Yessir, it was FUN.

Is the 22 LR a "survival" caliber? It could serve that role, sure. It is a better small game tool than a defensive chambering, though......I have 357 and 44 Magnum revolvers and rifles for that duty. "Survival" means different things to different people......my somewhat urban coastal situation 3 miles from the Mexican border now differs greatly from my former small town open desert environment.

I have opined at length at this site and others about the wherefores and whys of ammo and component shortages that have beset us for almost 6 years now. This has been the longest-enduring shortage I can recall, and while the Makers have blamed the customers for spikes in demand, I'm more inclined to fault the Makers for failing to recognize (or acknowledge) actual and sustained growth of this market sector. I would have a lot more respect for the Makers if they gave honest answers to customer questions of this kind, instead of resorting to corporate doublespeak about "unprecedented demand". CCI--I haven't seen Mini-Mags or SGBs at any price on any southern California retailer's shelf for 4 stinkin' years. That is ridiculous. 4 YEARS. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I am always confused by these threads. I live in the "wildest" part of my state on 10 acres. I have always assumed my survival weapon is going to spend more time keeping what I have rather than getting more. I think every dumb@$$ from the city is going to think the can live off the land in my neck of the woods. It was hard as hell a 100 years ago it is even going to be harder today.

If it comes to a survival gun, I would think the AR15 (223/5.56) would be the choice as of today. There are millions of the rifles sold and billions of rounds sold for the platform.
    Raid your local Walmart, LSG, Cabela’s, Gander Mountain and any other large sporting goods box store. There are hundreds of thousands of rounds in either 223/5.56 at most all of them. From what I've seen and heard from folks here and family from across the US you can't find but a few 22lr.

IF the SHTF I'll use a quote from When We Were Soldiers.
    "Lt. Colonel Hal Moore: I think you oughta get yourself an M-16.
    Sergeant Major Basil Plumley: Sir, if the time comes I need one, there'll be plenty lying on the ground

I feel the same way about the AR15 platform and ammo to feed it. Look around at your friends and family, heck people on here. Over 90% of my friends and family own a rifle in the 223/5.56 platform. The 22lr is great for killing small game up to and including deer, but survival isn't just killing food. It would also encompass defending your family, shelter, food, water source and yourself. I would rather be able to have some killing distance a 223 would provide over a 22lr (please understand I'm from south central Kansas we are pretty flat, I could see most folks from 1mile to 400 yards.) Not saying there aren't other great choices but going off of pure volume of available ammo for a rifle the 223/5.56 has all others beat.

I'm not saying the 22lr isn't a great round but in this day and age, its easer to obtain 223/5.56 ammo.
    On that note I do miss the day going down to the local mart and picking up a brick of ammo for $9.99. The last brick I purchased cost $14.99. The last bricks I seen was $90(gun show) and the guy couldn’t take people’s money fast enough.
    Just my .02
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Master
    I will never buy another 22 .
    I got rid of all mine except for two
    And I might dump those too.
    If I can't reload it
    I don't want it

In a true mobile, survival situation, the wife and I would be wearing .38's, but I would prefer to be carrying a 12 guage in a police platform. It would offer many more opportunities, in my area, to harvest ducks, geese , grouse, deer, or fish. I can carry enough ammo to do so until more could be scrounged, of which there would likely be available through barter.
    In the case of an invading force, either domestic or foreign, like stated above, there will be plenty on the ground if we were to survive.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    if I could find some free 15bhn lead, I could actually reload 9mm or .38 for approximately .10 a round but free 15bhn is rare in my neck of the woods
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Grand Master
    For me, the 32 has become the new 22, at least in pistols. I have a pair of S&W hand ejector"s. I bought 5000 small pistol primers at the last gun show for 122.67. That's 2.45 cents a piece. 2.5 grains of powder cost about 1.1 cents, lead at 1.00 a pound and 100 grain boolits run me about 2 cents per. My brass costs vary from nothing to about 3 cents (prorated over 8 loadings). That's about 5 to 8 cents each shot. I paid 35.00 bucks for a set of Lee Dies, and I already had the molds.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123