RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B-52 turns 60

Boolit Grand Master

As a Navy brat, I saw many fewer AF aircraft flying around as a kid. I had forgotten
    how much smoke these old beasts put out on TO. A friend flew them in VN and he
    is older than I am. That is a really long time for an aircraft to be in service. My father
    flew Phantoms when they first came out and my younger brother flew them at the
    end of their career. I have no doubt that somewhere there is a third gen Buff pilot
    out there.
    Put a bit of perspective on things: When the B-52 first when operational in 1955, it had
    been only 52 years since the Wright brothers first flew. It is now 60 years farther down
    stream and the B-52 is still a workhorse. That is amazing.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Blacksmith , Never flew out of Seymour but remember Piedmont having a terminal at the base . CR Lewis dairy is near my house ,always a landmark from the flight line looking south

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    I saw the first Buff land @ U-Tapao AB, Thailand, in late 1966 - along with about 50 news cameras lining the runway! It was light, having flown a mission from Guam, so it was in the extreme nose-down posture such requires. When I left in July '67, there were 70 D-models there...
    I was at U-Tapao 73'-74'. They had increased revetments to 100 spots by the time I got there. There was over 1,000,000 gals. of JP-4 pumped per day then. Sorties started at 6:00 am and lasted till 11:00 most days, 3 Buff's and 2 K-C's, 3 Buff's/2 K-C's. Then returns started around 5-7 pm.. Sometimes the smoke would be so thick I couldn't see the other side of the runway for hours if there was no wind. Sweet menories.

Vendor Sponsor

I was an Air Force brat living just off Wright-Patt in Ohio in the sixties. I had to learn to sleep through 35 B52s and 13 KC135s taking off fully loaded about every 3rd night, they shook everything.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

My shooting buddy was wearing his "Buff" t-shirt today so we talked about the B-52. I believe he said he started out flying the "B" models in 1965 but they seemed pretty old to him at the time. He's pretty sure the ones he flew have all been scrapped or mothballed. I read 10-12 years ago that many F16's were older than their pilots.
    Always wondered what the lifetime of a B52 was.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

IIRC, all the ones flying now are H models built way late and then they
    have had the skin on the fuselages peeled and replaced due to age.

Just verified only H models flying and they were built in 61 - 63. So the
    individual airframes are "ONLY" 52-54 years old.
    Last edited by MtGun44; 04-20-2015 at 10:26 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I thought you were talking the band. Remember "Rock Lobster" Ha Ha Ha .

But, seriously give credit to were it's due with the B-52
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Boolit Buddy
    One of my jobs in the AF was fueling those airplanes at a dispersed base. IIRC a full fuel load was 45,000+ gallons and all we had were R-5 refuelers - 5000 gallon capacity. It took forever. Empty, you couldn't jump up and touch the wingtip; full you could almost bump into them.

wp
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

Boolit Master
    Has anyone here read the book"Flight of the old dog"? Just wondering if there is a "Skunk Works"anywhere that is doing some of that,OR is it all pure fantasy?Inquiering minds want to know.Great thread.Thanks for posting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

I thought that was "Flight of the old Buff" but could be wrong.
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    Has anyone here read the book"Flight of the old dog"? Just wondering if there is a "Skunk Works"anywhere that is doing some of that,OR is it all pure fantasy?Inquiering minds want to know.Great thread.Thanks for posting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    Skunk Works® Origin Story
    The Origin Story

In 1943, the U.S. Army’s Air Tactical Service Command (ATSC) met with Lockheed Aircraft Corporation to express its dire need for a jet fighter to counter a rapidly growing German jet threat.

One month later, a young engineer by the name of Clarence "Kelly" L. Johnson and his team of young engineers hand delivered the XP-80 Shooting Star jet fighter proposal to the ATSC. Quickly the go-ahead was given for Lockheed to start development on the United States' first jet fighter effort. It was June of 1943 and this project marked the birth of what would become the Skunk Works® with Kelly Johnson at its helm.

The formal contract for the XP-80 did not arrive at Lockheed until October 16, 1943; four months after work had already begun. This would prove to be a common practice within the Skunk Works. Many times a customer would come to the Skunk Works with a request, and on a handshake the project would begin, no contracts in place, no official submittal process.
    Kelly Johnson and his team designed and built the XP-80 in only 143 days, seven less than was required.
    What allowed Kelly to operate the Skunk Works so effectively and efficiently was his unconventional organizational approach. He broke the rules, challenging the current bureaucratic system that stifled innovation and hindered progress. His philosophy is spelled out in his "14 rules and practices."

How the Skunk Works® Got Its Name
    It was the wartime year of 1943 when Kelly Johnson brought together a hand-picked team of Lockheed Aircraft Corporation engineers and manufacturing people to rapidly and secretly complete the XP-80 project. Because the war effort was in full swing there was no space available at the Lockheed facility for Johnson’s effort. Consequently, Johnson's organization operated out of a rented circus tent next to a manufacturing plant that produced a strong odor, which permeated the tent.

Each member of Johnson’s team was cautioned that design and production of the new XP-80 must be carried out in strict secrecy. No one was to discuss the project outside the small organization, and team members were even warned to be careful how they answered the phones.

A team engineer named Irv Culver was a fan of Al Capp's newspaper comic strip, "Li'l Abner," in which there was a running joke about a mysterious and malodorous place deep in the forest called the "Skonk Works." There, a strong beverage was brewed from skunks, old shoes and other strange ingredients.

One day, Culver's phone rang and he answered it by saying "Skonk Works, inside man Culver speaking." Fellow employees quickly adopted the name for their mysterious division of Lockheed. "Skonk Works" became "Skunk Works."

The once informal nickname is now the registered trademark of the company: Skunk Works®.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/aer...kunkworks.html
    DEFINING THE FUTURE OF AEROSPACE

The Skunk Works of today is focused on the critical aircraft for tomorrow. Advanced technology solutions for manned and unmanned systems draw on our world-class capabilities in conceptual design, systems engineering and integration, complex project management, software development and rapid prototyping. These core capabilities tie to the foundation of the Skunk Works where founder Kelly Johnson’s mantra, “quick, quiet and quality,” guides each and every project from concept to flight.

As we look to the future, we see a global landscape that is rapidly evolving. By focusing on our core capabilities, we will continue innovating to provide our customers with cutting technology in the following areas
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Bub
    Jet noise bomber or fighter. The sound of freedom. A bumper sticker I saw while stationed at CBC Gulfport Miss. Miss Air Nat Guard and Kessler AFB right next door. No whiners about jet noise there. Not like here in Socal where whiners abound.

Boolit Grand Master

Great links, Artful. We actually studied the Skunk Works as a business model in school. They truly knew how to do more with less and the secrecy aspect actually helped with that.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12