MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: powder for 7/8 lee slug ????

powder for 7/8 lee slug ????

what powder do you all like for the lee 7/8 slug that you like and get the most loads per pound

Boolit Buddy
    Alliant e3 is great for the 7/8 slug; there are lots of published loads with all combinations of hulls and wads. You can use standard Alliant load data for shot, and the results are great. BPI has data for Euro wads, and my favorite combo is with a PT1205 wad in a Fiocchi hull; you can use as little as 17 grains (about 1250 fps with most Euro wads) or as much as 25 grains (1560 fps published, and that's about what I get.) It's a fast burning powder, so you don't seem to lose as much velocity in shorter barrels.

thanks i have to get some e3 and try it i have pt1205 wads and some pt1210

Boolit Master

Longshot is my best performer out of both straight walled and tapered hulls. i have loaded with Clays, 800X.

I'm using WW WST now, AA12 hull, with Claybuster/WAA12 wad and .135 card (20 ga.). WW pamphlet lists 23.5 grs at @1400 FPS. I'm testing them for function in three autos (two Browning A5's and a Baretta 390) this morning. All functioned well and close to the bullseye.

Update on the above load for the 7/8 oz Lee slug. I had been recovering some of my wads while testing this load and noticed how dirty the sides of the wad were and some petals were being deformed or cut off. Some petals showed evidence of being doubled over and permanent creases, with a perfect imprint of the 20 ga. .135 card in the base of wad. It was obvious some of the gases were escaping by the wad, and the 20 ga.card was causing some distortion inside the wad. I've always been a big advocate of the 16 ga., and usually buy any used componenets when I see them at gun shows etc. I had alot of 16 ga. .135 cards so tried them in the Claybuster wad.Perfect fit to the inside bottom of the wad. Loaded up some and recovered some wads. No deformed or dirty petals and from looking at the outside of the wad where the card rests inside, looks like it forms a perfect second gas seal. No signs of excessive pressure and my groups are getting smaller.
    Anyone else tried this or having problems with wad distortion? Every recipe I've seen for this slug/wad combo mentions using the 20 ga. .135 card.

Boolit Bub
    New to shotshell loading, and understand that shotshell is different than metallic reloading, Has anybody used Green Dot, or Clays for the above Lee 7/8oz key drive in a straight wall hulls, and what wad would be used, with a roll crimp? Looking for a low recoil load like the (Fioochi Aero low recoil 12ga. 2-3/4" 7/8oz 1300FPS).

Boolit Buddy
    see here: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/load14_04_25.htm
    or just use any 24 gram "International" load data for a 1345 fps slug load---perfectly safe, especially at these pressures

Boolit Bub
    That's great I was going to email BP this afternoon I got to figure out how to find the load of the week listings. I have ordered a couple of the manuals from them and was about to order the Cheddite one today.
    Thanks a lot.

Boolit Bub
    Just finished up talking to BP's cust service and placed an order for the primed hulls, wads, Cheddite manual and 1 oz mold since that was the best fit for the powder I have locally available. And my 7/8 oz mould won't ship for another month.
    Thanks again for the info, FullTang

Boolit Buddy
    Anytime! You are going to love the Lee slugs---I cast a couple hundred at a time, and shoot them almost that fast. There's nothing quite as thrilling as shooting slugs!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by glenr1 View Post
    Just finished up talking to BP's cust service and placed an order for the primed hulls, wads, Cheddite manual and 1 oz mold since that was the best fit for the powder I have locally available. And my 7/8 oz mould won't ship for another month.
    Thanks again for the info, FullTang
    Which wads did you order, and what powder will you be using?

Boolit Bub
    I went with LOAD# 140217-5480 1oz slug, which uses theL078wad, along with The Hodgdon 700x @ 22.0grains. Result: PSI 10500 FPS 1370 I figure I can start at 15/16 grains in 5 shells, And move up or down a grain at a time. Since it is open season cardboard all year long I did have to order the 1 oz Lee mould since they had them in stock and the 7/8 won't ship till some time in Mid June.

I will also be using this load with the 7/8oz slug LOAD# 140221-5504 uses the same wad L078 as the first one ALLIANT GREEN DOT 29.0 Grains as powder since it is labeled as low recoil powder on the label. I figure that I can start with 20 or so grins and move up towards the suggested amount. Result: PSI 9500 FPS 1505 till I find one my shoulder likes. And since the range is only 15 yards a little more as the target starts to lay down on the slope.

I also have some Clays, and Unique powder also but that works in the metallic's I reload.

I also ordered the Cheddite load data book, and 3 bags of the new,skived primed hulls. Since they are on sale and have a couple of more items that I will be ordering from them rather than other sites.
    Again thanks for your help and any comments on my above choices are welcome. Here is the link http://www.ballisticproducts.com/load14_04_25.htm

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by glenr1 View Post
    I went with LOAD# 140217-5480 1oz slug, which uses theL078wad, along with The Hodgdon 700x @ 22.0grains. Result: PSI 10500 FPS 1370 I figure I can start at 15/16 grains in 5 shells, And move up or down a grain at a time. Since it is open season cardboard all year long I did have to order the 1 oz Lee mould since they had them in stock and the 7/8 won't ship till some time in Mid June.

I will also be using this load with the 7/8oz slug LOAD# 140221-5504 uses the same wad L078 as the first one ALLIANT GREEN DOT 29.0 Grains as powder since it is labeled as low recoil powder on the label. I figure that I can start with 20 or so grins and move up towards the suggested amount. Result: PSI 9500 FPS 1505 till I find one my shoulder likes. And since the range is only 15 yards a little more as the target starts to lay down on the slope.

I also have some Clays, and Unique powder also but that works in the metallic's I reload.

I also ordered the Cheddite load data book, and 3 bags of the new,skived primed hulls. Since they are on sale and have a couple of more items that I will be ordering from them rather than other sites.
    Again thanks for your help and any comments on my above choices are welcome. Here is the link http://www.ballisticproducts.com/load14_04_25.htm
    Green Dot is labeled as "low-recoil" in 12 gauge target loads but at 28 or 29 grains it will not be low recoil in those loads. A hell of a lot of fun, but not low recoil.

Depending on stack height & fit, you could drop that charge to 21.0-23.0 grains and still run in the mid-1200's with less recoil and save some powder and noise. Also, don't overlook that Clays for low-recoil loads. As you know well by now, pick any 7/8oz or 1oz target load for Clays with your wads and just sub your slugs for the shot, you should find just what you are looking for to punch paper.

Keep in mind that a 440gr bullet at 1200-1300 fps is close to the original ballistics of the 45-70 & 50-70 cartridges. A whole lot of buffalo and people found out the hard way how well those ballistics will kill, and these lower recoil slugs would do a nice job on hogs, deer, or for protecting the castle.

Boolit Bub
    I figure that I can just do 5/10 rounds with assorted loads and work out something that will be ok for ventilating the target barn police silhouette blue targets, I like their cardboard targets since the paper ones tear hanging from the bulldog clips. And getting cardboard and spray glue not to mention the time costs more than a case of 100 cardboard targets. Not to mention the sticky patches I can use the targets for the 9mm, 5.56 and 22lr's patch the holes and use them with duct tape on the back fort the slug guns. They hold up well for one session!

And yes with the choice of 700x,green dot, and clays I do have it better then most as far as the choice of what to use. and about 75 lbs. of pure lead I should keep busy for a while. And yes from what I have read that sounds like the area I would want to be in for the green dot. Thanks.

Boolit Bub
    Add a little tin bar solder to your pure lead to get your mold to fill out better, about 1:20 tin/lead is enough. Run the mold fast and hot until you figure out the temperature sweet spot and casting pace.

I was thinking on buying the 7/8 mold. I have the 1 oz mold. I've gotten great results with straight hulls, PT1205 wads, 1oz slugs sitting on top of 49 grains of Blue Dot.

Boolit Bub

I just loaded up a couple dozen shells with 7/8 oz lee slugs, used Unique powder and WAA12L wads, shot great and really packs a punch on the target end.

Gary

lee 7/8 slug 1 wild hog 0 pt 1205 wad [COLOR=#333333] Fiocchi 16 mm green hull 24 grains e3 complet pass throw both sholders it was rutting up the beans and a mini nitro card

Boolit Master

atta boy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast