Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calculate muzzle energy

Boolit Buddy

Calculate muzzle energy

Would like to know the formula for calculating this when you know your bullet weight & speed. Looked it up online and couldn't get my mind around the explanation at wikipedia.

Banned

Boolit Buddy

Just what I was looking for. Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    In easy to remember format, it's: bullet weight(in grains) x velocity squared / 450,000.

Ex: 250gr at 3000fps = 250(3000*3000) / 450000
    250(9000000) / 450000
    2250000000 / 450000
    5000lb/ft energy

Boolit Buddy

That is easy. Calculator confirms it.

Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

Not hard to calculate, but the unfortunate problem is that it
    is a very unreliable predictor of field performance. I was
    very enamored of this info years ago, but have found that it
    generally favors small, high vel ammo, which doesn't match
    well with my hunting experience beyond prairie dogs.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Not to mention, muzzle energy dont equal target energy. Also, When a chrono is 10' from muzzle, that isnt muzzle velocity, thus does not indicate muzzle energy unless backward calculations are done.

I must admit it is fun to drop the hammer on a handgun load that is delivering 2,500 foot pounds of energy, at the muzzle. But really, a standard 30-06 load does that at muzzle, with better accuracy and range. It takes velocity to get energy, then you need bc or streamline to get point blank range.

It sounds like you get the idea. Have fun, straight shootin

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    ... unfortunate problem is that it
    is a very unreliable predictor of field performance.......
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCaveman View Post
    Not to mention, muzzle energy dont equal target energy. Also, When a chrono is 10' from muzzle, that isnt muzzle velocity, thus does not indicate muzzle energy unless backward calculations are done.
    That is a good point. What I was trying to get [closer] to was knock-down power for hunting with various calibers & loads.

So how would I get to that data for say, a .30 cal 170gr bullet @ 1600fps out to 100 yds?

Easiest number to remember 450,000

(mass of bullet in grains) X (muzzle velocity in fps) X (muzzle velocity in fps) / (450,000) = foot-pounds of muzzle energy

Since you usually work in grains for bullet weight and fps for muzzle velocity, the only thing you need to remember is to square that velocity before multiplying then dividing by 450,000

For your 100 yard shot, there are numerous tables and even some aps (I think Winchester made one for phones and tablets), or Bullet Drop or any number of free aps. They will calculate bullet speed at different distances so you can use the above formula to calculate bullet kinetic energy. Most require a ballistic coefficient of the bullet (BC), but the differences from one bullet to a similar design doesn't change too much.

Of course you know "knock down power" makes a ton of assumptions that often don't translate into real life, but it does allow you to compare one load to another.

Boolit Grand Master

Look up Taylor knockdown factor.

SWAG by an old Africa hunter. Seems as good as any, much better than ME.

Banned

Taylor KO is a good predictor for large/dangerous game. Beartooth Bullets has a good selection of calculators.

Ballistician's Corner
    ::Calculators for he reloader::
    Printable Resources | Ordering Informatiion | Contact Us
    A comprehensive collection of interactive, online ballistics calculators! Exterior Ballistics, Recoil Calculator, Wound Channel Calculator, Stopping Power Calculators (mutiple), Round Ball Weight Calculator, Powder Calculators, and more! A one-stop resource for your technical ballistic data needs.
    >> Permanent Wound Channel
    Marshall's adaptation and refinement of a formula to quantitatively calculate the permanent wound channel potential of any load utilizing a bullet with a relatively flat frontal area. This calculator generates its results by utilizing the meplat diameter (in inches) of a projectile and the striking velocity of that bullet to give an outstandingly concise calculation of the true permanent wound channel left by the bullet in live targets.
    >> Relative Penetration Calculator
    Another Beartooth Exlusive found only here! Generates the relative penetration index for any given bullet. Calculates based on bullet weight and Meplat or fronal area of the bullet. A great tool for comparing the potential penetration of one bullet to another.
    >> Thornily Relative Stopping Power
    Peter Thorniley designed this formula years ago. While hunting extensively both in North America and Africa he did practical field testing on numerous kinds of game animals. Living on the family orchard, he perfected this formula by continued field testing while conducting extensive depredation work. It calculates via a relative stopping power quotient the amount of gun and load necessary to cleanly take a game animal under all conditions. A great tool for comparison of one load to another, as well as the potential of one cartridge to another.
    >> Taylor Knock Out Power (KO)
    John (Pondoro) Taylor Knock Out Power has been respected over the years as a great comparison of two cartridges, one to another.
    >> Foot-Pounds Energy Calculator
    Figure foot-pounds energy of a load.
    >> Recoil Calculator
    Ever wonder how much kick a gun has? How fast it comes back at you? This calculator figures the velocity in fps of how fast the gun comes back at you, as well as how many foot-pounds are traveling with it!
    >> Ballistic Coefficient (BC) Calculator
    Want to figure the BC's for a bullet? This calculator will do the long equation figuring for you! Maximize before use.
    >> External Ballistics Calculator
    Figure the ballistics on a bullet/load combination! Includes bullet drop, lead, and more. Maximize before use.
    >> Loads per Pound of Powder
    Calculate how many loads you're going to get out of that new pound of powder.
    >> Sectional Density Calculator
    Calculate the sectional density of your bullet. (Proportion of length to width)
    >> Cost per Load/Box Calculator
    Calculate how much it costs to load your own! Figure either per load or per box! Includes primers, powder, bullets, and more! Maximize for viewing.
    >> Powder Burning Rate Chart
    Lists 110 of today's available canister propellants. Helps to get an idea of how fast or slow a given powder really is. Also available in PDF format. Click Here for PDF. Maximize for viewing.
    >> Round Ball Calculator
    Calculate the weight of a round ball by entering it's diameter! You can choose from four common alloys- Wheel Weights, Linotype, Pure Lead, or 1-10!

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/rescources/index.htm

Boolit Master

The older calculations for foot pounds of energy used the constant of 450240. Sometime in the recent past that was updated to 450000 due to some arcane calculations in the scientific world.

Not that it really matters, but if you try the current formula with older ballistic charts, you'll find some minor discrepancies due to the updated constant.

Lots of ways to calculate energy, but living targets all seem to react differently and often unpredictably. Calculations are still a reasonable way to compare various calibres and bullet weights.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy

So what does the Taylor KO mean? For one load I got 44, another 12...

But I don't know what those actually mean. What is the range this factor deals with?

Boolit Master

Taylor Knock out Formula or TKOF.

While the classic foot pounds of energy formula measures energy by measuring the energy it takes to lift one pound by one foot, the TKO uses what may be a more practical method by measuring not only velocity and mass, but diameter as well.

The more common foot pounds of energy formula often skews energy levels in the favor of velocity. The TKOF takes into account diameter and levels the field somewhat between large diameter lower velocity rounds and small diameter high velocity rounds. Compare 22/250 and 45/70 energy levels with both formulae.

The figures generated by the various formulae are useful for comparisons as I note above. As far as the "factor" that you refer to; just establish the base line performance of your issue or favorite round and then compare other loads against that. For me, that's the 30/06 or 308 Winchester with a 165 grain bullet for big game and the 357 Magnum 158 grain bullet for handguns. The commonly used formulae only measure impact energy at a given velocity. Terminal performance and penetration of the bullet are not referenced.

Finally, compare your paper ballistics with your "hands on" or "in the field" experience. No matter what the energy level of your round, bullet placement and penetration will be more important than foot pounds of energy or KO numbers.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 04-18-2015 at 02:42 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Huumm why would muzzle energy be needed? I can understand target energy but not muzzle
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Huumm why would muzzle energy be needed? I can understand target energy but not muzzle
    I started there because FPS data is more readily available at the muzzle as opposed to varying target distances. Wasn't considering ME as the last word on the matter, just a starting point.

If there is a specific energy formula for a certain load/caliber at X distance, I'm interested.

Banned

Every ballistic chart I have seen starts and at times ends with muzzle velocity.

Boolit Buddy
    T.K.O. is a garbage formula. A thrown baseball is more lethal than a 45-70 according to the formula.

Think of lethality as foot pounds and penetration. Foot pounds tells you the volume of the wound, and penetration determines the shape. 700 foot pounds applied over 12 inches is a wide wound, while 1200 foot pounds applied over 4 foot might be a narrower wound than the less powerful round.

Sure a 5.56 might have 1200 foot pounds, but it only has 12-16" penetration with the best bullets. I would rather, depending on the animal, have 800 foot pounds and 3 foot of penetration from a 357 mag.

Boolit Grand Master

TKO isn't for silly things like a baseball. It is a useful method of comparing
    various RIFLE cartridges. What a silly and irrelevant example.

The numbers make more sense than muzzle energy numbers, when
    trying to get a handle on "killing power", especially for large game and
    body shots, which is what Taylor was working on.

For example: ME for a .22/250 with a 45 gr bullet at 4000 fps works out
    to be 1598 ft-lbs. Muzzle Energy for a .30-06 165 gr bullet at 2900 fps
    works out to be 3081 ft-lbs. .45-70 with a 405 gr boolit at 1250 fps works
    out to ME of 1403 ft-lbs. Taylor knock out (TKO) numbers are 5.76 for
    .22/250, 20.3 for the .30-06 and 33.1 for the .45-70.

I think that if you are shooting a moose or larger animal with these cartridges,
    the actual effectiveness will be far, far more accurately predicted by the
    TKO numbers than the ME numbers. Anybody think that shooting a moose
    with a 45 gr .22/250 (in the body, not in the head) would work "half as well"
    as a .30-06 and '15% better than" a .45-70? This is what ME comparisons get
    you. TKO says that the .30-06 and .45-70 should both work well, but that
    the .45-70 may be quite a bit more effective, and that the .30-06 would be around
    4 times as effective as the .22/250.

Taylor wasn't trying to be super accurate, but it is clear that for the range of
    normal medium to larger caliber rifles, the "figure of merit" he came up with
    is a good bit more predictive of effectiveness than muzzle energy.

Bullet performance is another key issue, he usually was using solids.

No simple answers to a very complex question, but TKO is useful if you stay
    within the bounds it was intended, and avoid comparing it to sports equipment.
    Last edited by MtGun44; 04-18-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    If the formula had any real life validity, it would show the baseball as less lethal. Therefore, since the formula doesn't work for all projectiles, it is flawed.

Sectional density and momentum will predict penetration and foot pounds will predict wound volume. If you compared a baseball to a bullet using these metrics, you would find that a baseball has terrible sectional density and low foot pounds. Using real math that holds up no matter what projectile or what speed(sectional density, foot pounds, momentum) , we can find that the thrown baseball is not, in fact, an elephant gun.

Instead of wondering what TKO your load has, worry about energy and penetration. 2700 foot pounds is plenty enough energy for elk, but if it only penetrates 12" it is not an elk load. Likewise, a hard cast 9mm flat nose can penetrate 3 foot but most people would say it is not enough energy to make a wide enough wound.
    http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/b.../wounding.html

EDIT: check this link, which is actually the following page of the link I posted above. Or just click "next" at the bottom of the page of the first link. http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/b...s/methods.html
    Last edited by mnewcomb59; 04-18-2015 at 06:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast