MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Round balls in small capacity .30's

Boolit Master

Round balls in small capacity .30's

I never messed with roundball plinker loads but am about to with a .310 Cadet (Greener). I found that a .315 roundball will thumb seat in my shortened and fireformed .32-20 cases. Plans are to smear some lube onto the ball after seating. My questions are: would a greased felt wad under the bullet be beneficial/necessary, and would a ballpark 2-3gr. Bullseye or 3-4gr. Unique powder charge be kosher? Thanks.

Boolit Master
    The felt wad isn't necessary; don't know about being beneficial. If you have a die, using a slightly larger round ball sized down will give a longer bearing surface, but it isn't required. I've used 2.5 gr BE or 700 X with round balls in the .30-30 and .32 Special and a slightly larger charge in the .375 with no problems. Smeared a little alox on the surface of the ball in the case and seemed to work fine.

I've played with RB's in my 8.15 x 46R (.32, 00 Buck), the groove in my rifle is .316.

I just rolled the balls in lube, before loading so, you should have plenty of lube. I don't know what your wanting for velocity but, 2 gr B'Eye will be suppersonic, probably around 1300+. In my much larger case, 1 gr B'Eye was subsonic and 1.5 super. When I did mine, I loaded down until the "crack" went away.

I didn't get the accuracy that I wanted. Mine is a target rifle and I expected 1/2" or a lot less at 25 yards and as you can see, I got a much larger group. The number at the right are group size.

I built a 32/20 HW (.308 groove) for my wife and could try it out in that but, that will have to wait until after May as I'm trying to get ready for a 400 shot match in Spokane.

Please let us know how it goes.

Frank
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RdBall schtzen.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	137054

Boolit Master
    Thanks, glad I asked. It would appear that my powder guesses were a tad high as I will strive for slightly subsonic velocities. Seeing as how all I'm looking to perforate are empty beer cans across the yard I'll be good to go.

Boolit Master

22 LR dipper of Bullseye (about 3.1 grains) is what I use for my RB loads for most everything including 30-30... Velocity is dependent on powder position. For the 30-30 I was mostly using it to shoot sparrows and starlings out of trees in the backyard. RB's have about the BC of a rock so don't travel far enough to hit anything from my backyard. I used .311" RB's which I lubed lightly with alox before loading. Thus loaded I was about 90% accurate using a receiver sighted marlin microgroove 30-30. Shots ranged from prob'ly 10-25 yards. YMMV Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

I don't have a 32-20, but I have used .311 RBs in my Nagant pistol, which may be pretty similar. I just use a 22 case full of Red Dot, and seat an RB over it, no wad. I lube the RB's with Alox. It's actually fairly accurate, and good for beginners; little report, and no recoil to speak of.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    I think your load looks fine. I use a bit less of either in a #2 rolling block(32 rimfire/32 long) that had a bore just decent enough to launch a roundball accurately at 25 yards. I tumble lube the ball before loading.
    Last edited by texassako; 04-18-2015 at 10:36 PM. Reason: corrected the auto correct

Boolit Master
    In a single shot rifle I have found that round balls work best when seated deep on the powder, a compressed. Gives more consistent ballistics. Also produces equivalent velocities with less powder.

BTW, the Martini groove dimensions should be .323 inch and a round ball should weigh about 50 grains. QL computes that a .323 50 grain ball compressed on 1.4 gr RD would produce about 1155 fps at 12,859 psi, well below pressure specs of 15,954 psi.

Boolit Master
    What I hate is that damnable keyholing is so difficult to find , I mean you know it's there, you really know it. But you just can't see it. They mock me I had some RB's some time back, I would use them in my 30-30, accuracy was so-so, and I ran out of balls as it was not my mold. Gonna hafta break down and buy one I suppose.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    Leaving the sprue shank protruding from the top of the case lets you know if the ball has keyholed on you.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Need to try those newfangled square balls..........

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    How was it for noise? I'm in a subdivision....

Boolit Master
    1½gr. Bullseye + .315 roundball equaled tin can accuracy at 25 yards, and about as much noise as a .22 sub-sonic out of a rifle barrel, more or less. Loud enough I wouldn't shoot them in a subdivision at any rate.

Boolit Master

Experimented with .309 swaged buckshot in 30-30. Was very good. I also played with a duplex load, 2 swaged balls, accuracy was not all that good past 50m but was fun, forget the powder weight.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Hm... wonder how this would work in 30 carbine?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mwells72774 View Post
    Hm... wonder how this would work in 30 carbine?
    I think it would work fine single loaded. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along