Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any moral hunters here?

Banned

Any moral hunters here?

If you find some small ones, will they grow more? I never figured it out.

Banned

I have no morals.............and I haven't found any morels yet either! I have watched some of the smaller morel mushrooms over a period of days and they hardly grew at all. I have been told that once they come up and get to size, they don't grow much more. My friend sent me a picture a few weeks ago of a package of morels - $75 per pound!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a co-worker that picked a bunch in central Missouri last weekend. They were all what I call the small ones that come first. Weather has been to cold here in northern IL. I experimented when I was a kid by leaving the small ones and checking that evening or the next morning, and only remember a couple that ever grew any. Most of the time what I left just had dried out tops when I returned or the deer had found them. I would just pick them and enjoy.

Boolit Buddy
    My dad tried to grow moral mushrooms for years and could never get them to grow, they seem to be a mystery on how to grow them outside of their natural places they grow.

Me and BIL wasted $40 on some dirt that was to establish these. I ran around like a nut gathering many materials that were in the instructions. Was a scam IM0 and from the industry leader.

Vendor Sponsor

The time I went in Western Michigan (was a lot of fun!) we picked and carried them in a mesh bag so they might scatter spores as we walked. I have never seen anything that relates the size to any known control. Afaik, they just grow where and when they grow, and ppl are SO secretive about where and when to go pick them. I looked here in NC a few times, never found anything but fiddleheads and mayapples and by all known identifiers with companion plants, should have seen morels too but nada, not a single one.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I've never looked for any. What do they look like? Any photos?

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    I've never looked for any. What do they look like? Any photos?
    It's a secret.LOL Try goggle. They are great.[I think the correct spelling is morel.]
    Last edited by s mac; 04-24-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    I was told all my hunting was immoral....considering the source, that was ok by me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by s mac View Post
    It's a secret.LOL Try goggle. They are great.[I think the correct spelling is morel.]
    True, bang my fingers if you want.
    I found 12 small ones this morning and will watch them. Carol has 30 staked out to watch. I still say they come up and stop. Cold here has been bad. I grew ****ake on logs and they grew more each day.

Boolit Buddy
    My understanding was that Morels grow in ground around dead Elm trees. Don't know if that's just in Wisconsin or anywhere.

Boolit Master
    This is a mysterious season for morels here in the PacNW. Usually they come up strong in recently burned areas in the mountains a couple weeks after the snow melts but there hasn't been any snow this season.

A lady at the restruant tonight showed me a pic of a morel up in Indiana-- it was (get this) 3 beer cans high.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    I have seen pics of one that was as big or maybe slightly bigger than a gallon milk jug.

Boolit Master
    for a couple of years I went out gathering them. But I don't care for the taste of them so I quit going out.

I got a bag full of 2 yr old, tiny, dry ones, from the store.

Banned

I dry mine and they last forever. Great in squirrel stew. Rehydrate in milk and use the milk, full of flavor. I never find big ones but a friend used to get them in VA as big as his lunch bucket, never told me where even when he was moved to Indy to the UAL hanger.
    I never find them in good dirt. I live next to an old limestone quarry and only find them in the worst dirt around. I tried planting them too and never got a one. Dug in all kitchen scraps and watered to no use.
    They seem to move some each year and I hardly find them in the same places. It is like looking for gold nuggets.
    I also carry a mesh bag but never found any where spores fall. I shake the bag as I walk. Only God knows!

Boolit Bub
    Check out the book "A Morel Hunter's Companion" by Nancy Smith Weber. Covers all the topics of how and where they to how to cook them.

Boolit Master

Sadly, there are no morels in Texas. I miss them.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Banned

If you can find dead elm trees, you can find morels in May. Also, old overgrown apple orchards. I wish I knew how to post a pic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast