Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Weaver K4

Boolit Master

Weaver K4

After centering the cross hairs by counting the clicks.The center is at the lower left.Is my scope broke? Man,I hope not,sure do like this scope.It still bore sights at 25 yards,just not sure yet if it will adjust in when fired.Thanks--Will.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Try centering with the scope in Vee blocks. Aim the scope at a distant dot and when it stays on the dot as its rotated, it's centered.

Boolit Master

I read some things last night on using a mirror to center a scope. Anyone familiar with this technique?

Boolit Master

How true are the mounts to the bore? Did they level out correct from the start? Did you lap the rings to ensure a proper fit? I know RD swears by the Weaver K5 and that's a pretty strong endorsement.

Boolit Master

The scope came on a Savage 99 I bought last summer.The rings appear to be non removable.Just now getting around to tinkering with it.I do know I need taller rings.The bases weaver calls for are a #14 rear and #19 front.Which presses the front of the scope on the rear sight.

I took the scope off and counted clicks to determine center.At that point it showed the cross hairs to be located at lower left.I placed the scope back on the rifle and used a laser bore sight to get a zero at 25-30 yards.This then centered the reticles.But the big question is ...will there be plenty of room left to actually zero the rifle? This will be determined when I get to the range.

This is the first time I have seen the reticles on a scope do this sort of thing.Which caused me to bring up the question.The bases appear to be level and square.The scope however show's off center without being mounted to the rifle.But will center if adjustment's are made.I could have miss counted too.

Boolit Master

I think the problem stems from a bad drill and tap job. The scope cants to the right.Looks like the the base is off center on the front.Not sure if this is a repairable situation or not.There is always adjustable bases,but I'll just plug them for now and use iron sights.

What makes you think backing off the adjustments guarantees you are bumping half way from centerline? There is really no reason that method would center a scope. I've tried it a couple times and it was just within a turn or so. Leupold and Burris scopes. I've a steel tube K-4 here on a 270 Win for 35 years. Hasn't missed a beat.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master

Until I make sure the bases are true to the bore,and I don't think they are.I can't at this point, blame the scope.Until I correct the bases,if correctable,I won't bother with the scope,it would be a waste of time.Like I said earlier,I think the PO did a bad job on drilling the base holes.

If the bases are crooked. Easiest way I know of to mount a scope straight. Is to use Burris insert rings with offset inserts. Center scope with the V-block method mentioned above. That will place the cross hairs center to the scope body. Even if it’s not optically or mechanically centered. Then use offset inserts rotated in the required orientation to bore site the scope. Burris two piece plastic inserts come in .005” offset increments and can be rotated 360 degrees. For both windage and elevation. I like to put about 5 MOA elevation in to end up with a couple MOA down adjustment on a 100 yard zero. I’ve been lucky so far with rifles hitting close to where I bore sighted them. But you could start out adjusting the rings to get bullet impact close to zero on targets.

My Weatherby in 270 Win had a receiver that left the bases about .040” out of vertical parallel. Back in the 1970’s when I bought that I was not well educated on gun smithing. So I just screwed down a scope and started shooting. About forty rounds and the guts broke loose in the scope. When scope was removed you could see the off line marks in scope body. Then I figured it out. Used steel shims under the front base to bring it into line. Then removed the shim stack and used epoxy in between layers to set it all together. Then lapped in the bases with a one inch drill rod and valve grinding compound. Mounted that K-4 Weaver and it’s been running ever since. Burris and the insert rings didn’t exist yet.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln