RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flintlock Flinch, Need Help

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, I've done a lot of dry fire too, with a flint in the jaws. It doesn't bother me, at first it did a little bit, but it left quickly. The powder's flash is my issue, I feel the need to brace myself for it when I see it by blinking, which 9/10X brings me off target.

Boolit Master
    When I go though the safe rotation and come to the flintlocks I too have to concentrate on not flinching. I'm well used to heavy recoil and it seems easy to hold with a follow through during all the clacks, thunks, psssts and different feeling vibrations that go on during a flintlock firing cycle. But it's the pan/touch hole flash that, to me at least, is the most difficult to deal with. Most people I think are very sensitive about protecting their eyes, so it's a natural response.

I do best by using a good pair of shooting (safety) goggles. It seems to help psychologically and that is a major part of all shooting.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by tddeangelo View Post
    Forgot to mention that. I did a lot of dry fire too. I had read that a rubber eraser would be a good flint substitute. It wasn't. The stupid thing came apart in about 15 dry fires.

I used the ends of wood clothespins and they worked great. The more times you trip the trigger without a flinch, the better. It helps to give yourself a target for dry fire, too. I put a small spot of painter's tape on the wall as an aim point. Make sure your sights don't come off target through the fall of the hammer (I know that's not the proper term, but the correct one often gets hit by forum language filters), and hold fast on that target for at least a second or two to encourage good follow through. It really helps.
    Good point on follow through. I try to remain on target 2-3 seconds after hammer fall.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    take a soda can cut out a pice and flatten it slide id down between the stock and barrel right at the lock. don't block the touch hole. it is a blinder so the flash does not come in your line of sight. after awhile you will be able to do with out it.

I met my Donna 5 years ago, she's now my fiancé. She wanted to learn to shoot a handgun and never tried it before (no bad habits yet). I thought of this drill and it worked better than we could imagine. This process takes a "helper". She started with a scoped contender, 357 mag 10" SSK barrel with a very light trigger. She started off using sandbags to take the fatigue factor out trying to hold the gun off-hand. She learned to rest the gun without torqueing and putting any lateral pressure on it to spoil the shot. After each of these sessions, stop, and don't try to shoot anything any other way and only shoot again using this same procedure.

I told her to listen for me to say "squeeze" at least 4 times before the gun fires. After every "squeeze" hold that much trigger tension and wait for the next "squeeze". Sometimes it would fire at 4 "squeeze" and sometimes at 3. A much heavier trigger will cause the subject to need to breathe. With the scope on this barrel, she could aim at a bullet hole for a target. After a short while she told me, "I don't know when it will go off"!!! She was already shooting quarter sized groups at 25 yds. by this time. I jumped up and down and did cartwheels and gave her a big kiss and told her "That's it, now you know how it's done"! This was in the spring of 2010 and she got her first whitetail doe with my 14" 44 mag TC Contender that deer season. She liked my 14" 309 JDJ barrel better, so the next 4 years she filled her tags with that. 5 deer in 5 years, 2 were nice bucks. This last season her buck shot was a laser measured 120 yds. shooting off her knees.

On the rare occasion the chamber's empty or a bad primer, there is no flinch what-so-ever. She's tuned out flinches forever.

I tried this method with a 60 year old buddy who had a terrible flinch. Same gun, same sandbag set-up. I let him shoot his best group at 25 yd. and got a baseball sized group. Then we tried it using my drill. He went from baseball sized group to 1 inch the very next run. He lives some distance away, so we couldn't "finish" him and I'm sure he reverted back to flinching. He was surprised that gun shot so well.

Now, Donna refuses to shoot any kind of rifle or muzzleloader, she wants to do it all with her scoped Contender or scoped S & W 686 revolver. I have a spare TC Hawken 50 Cal flinter in the safe with open sights. I keep trying to talk her into our October antlerless season. Maybe this year.

I know I'm biased, but I'll stand her up against any man and bet my poke on her.

I can't see why this method shouldn't work with any other kind of firearm.
    Last edited by bosterr; 04-17-2015 at 12:06 PM.

Good info above. I've helped a couple of flinters overcome their flinch, but it took some time. AND had to be repeated on occasion.
    First, if they were right handed I'd put some masking tape on the right side of the right lens of their shooting glasses. I'd only leave enough open space so they could see the sights. The flash is mostly obscured. Do the opposite for lefties.
    Second, use 4F priming powder and reduce the charge to almost nothing. It doesn't take much. I've gone so far as to grind 3F into a dust (just a little at a time) and just use a sprinkle.
    Third, you load the rifle and hand it to a buddy. He primes it, or doesn't. You don't know. Then he hands it back to you to shoot. Since you've tried many of the suggestions so far I believe you're anticipating the flash.

Boolit Buddy
    The "squeeze" method above is similar to something I neglected to mention.

I read an excellent book by Jim Owens about trigger control that is absolutely pure gold for any shooter to read. That book made me a better shooter almost instantly. He talks about "stacking" weight on the trigger, doing almost exactly what was described above with each successive "squeeze" command. He did it in two stages..... Learning the trigger well enough to hold about 1/2 the pull weight on the trigger, pause, then press through the second "half" of the pull weight.

Because I shoot this way, that's probably why I don't get too wound up if a trigger isn't super light, and also why I prefer single triggers on flintlocks. It takes a fair bit of practice to get good at it, but when I talked about back tension shooting with the flintlock, that's in effect what it did. Let me stack weight smoothly.

In in the end, I think whatever method is used has to deal with the human tendency to punch the trigger and try to "snatch" the shot as the sights move around the target. Target panic is not just an archer's issue.
    Last edited by tddeangelo; 04-17-2015 at 03:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

First like Waksupi said get you a wooden flit for practice...
    Then you need to visualize doing it right not doing it wrong. Close your eyes and sit somewhere comfortable and SEE yourself shoting, see yourself throught the loading process and bring the gun up and SEE only the sights as you fire. Do this for a few days before you go to the range and make your MIND control what your body wil do. Think the ball into the target. That saidI use to flinch but finally beat it by SEEING myself do it right. My father in law shot a flinter for the first time and shot 10x's. I said doesn't the flash bother you? he said I don't watch the flash i watch the sights!

Boolit Buddy
    Practice doesn't make perfect. Practice makes permanent.

If a shooter practices shooting and includes a flinch every time, well, guess what just got made permanent?

So the advice to visualize and practice the process properly in dry fire is spot on.....perfect practice makes perfect.

Boolit Master
    I logged back in since I wanted to clarify what I wrote below. I use Doug as a coach and had him watch me and since is a guy older that me with several forms of serious diseases he has little patience for silliness and I caught some hell but he helped me a huge amount. I see him several times a year barely but always try to get help. Another local shooter is Eric Keel who is also a winning Schuetzen nut and he is nearly unbeatable with any muzzle loader. I ask him to watch and evaluate me also and I actually bettered him once, but only by a point! A coach my help........

In my post I mentioned trying to hold for a long time, relative to other things. I tried to do this in the beginning and found the longer I tried to hold the sights on target, the worse my "flinch" or "jerk" or what ever it is called became. When I had my mentor show me how he shot it came out as I mentioned before. First I use my second finger to set the trigger unless I do it before I put a cap on. This is to not "stress" my trigger finger. The he showed me to stand in the same foot position each time and align the gun pointing slightly over the target with front and rear sights aligned. Start lowering it while doing the breathing and come into target as the last breath goes out. With a set trigger you should only have to touch the front one to go boom. In the case of a single or non set trigger then there will be some slack to take up and the dry fire will help that or getting the feel for a 2# pull like I had with my original 45-70 Rolling Block and my Gibbs M/L. When switching from set to non set it takes me an hour or two of dry fire to adjust myself. Keep trying and don't give up!
    Last edited by oldracer; 04-17-2015 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Additional info

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Buy some Swiss Null-B and use that for your flash powder. The grains are much smaller than FFFFg
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, I'll be trying them this weekend hopefully. Yeah I probably am just anticipating the flash. I'll keep going at it, I'll have to get it sooner or later...

Same problem here with flintlocks when I first got started. Worked through it by practice, practice and more practice. Went through a few flints before I got decent, wasn't smart enough to try a fake flint like waksupi and others have mentioned (non firing practice). If you feel it is the flash causing you to flinch, have you considered a set of fairly dark safety glasses? I understand you have to see the target, but something dark enough to settle the flash down might help. Just a thought.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Master

Here is the easy fix, wear safety goggles!

Yet your body know you are wearing safety goggle and the powder and spark
    can not get to your eyes.

Enjoy the light show in protected safety.

Relish in your new found freedom from flinching

Mike

p.s. goggles are cheap

http://www.discountsafetygear.com/ey...n-goggles.html
    Last edited by skeettx; 04-18-2015 at 05:05 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Just shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Eventually you will quit.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I did some shooting with it today at 30, and 60 yards. Just to save powder, my load was 50grs of 3f behind a 320gr lee REAL bullet. I circled my 30 yard shots and put lines around my 60 yard shots. I know I'm still flinching, but that 3.5 inch group is a lot better than what I've been able to do previously. I took 14 shots in total, but two missed the target altogether, going an inch or so past the bottom right corner. They were shot at 60 yards so I'm not sure if wind and bullet drop is to blame or if I just really screwed up. I did some dry practice before, then practiced with a flash charge only, then began shooting, using the method described by Bosterr. I used up all of my bullets today, so I'll have to make more before I shoot again.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03326.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	137352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03324.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	137353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03325.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	137354

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Dropping low and right means you are still flinching. Try going to a good ol' round ball, the heavier projectile may be making you shy away from the recoil.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    That's part of the reason I used 50gr charges, I find it kicked less than a .410. Originally when I bough my mold, I had wanted to get the 320gr REAL/round ball combo, but couldn't, so I went with the REAL for the sole reason of not needing patches, not to mention I'm a little unsure of how well a little round ball would deal with a moose, we have no deer season up here, only moose, bear, waterfowl, and small game.

Boolit Buddy
    The flinch is to push the gun away, usually resulting in a low hit, and often to the right, as mentioned. This is part of why I tried the "pulling back to my shoulder" method I outlined. I try to keep stock pressure on my shoulder throughout the shot. Can't shove it forward if I'm putting tension on it rearward. Well, I can, but I have to try harder to do it.

In other words, your flinch is not really recoil-oriented. It's avoidance of the flash, along with some target panic thrown in for spice, usually. Gotta work on follow through, getting your body to do it properly through the firing of the rifle, and then you're golden.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, makes sense. I'll do more practice with just a flash charge, and if by next time I haven't improved I'll try putting tape on part of my glasses like mentioned somewhere above.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast