Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: making 30 cal gas checks

Boolit Mold

making 30 cal gas checks

ordering a free chex in 30 cal. can anyone recommend a GC thickness im going to use copper but i want to make sure there reliable at the thickness i pick

i also want to used the same thickness sheet when i buy other dies so it has to be like a happy medium for anything from 223 GC's all the way up to 45 GC's

if im asking for something that doesnt exist please tell me im new to this

Younggunz67. I use Lithoplate for everything from 22 cal to 45/70 checks. (.22 cal, 6mm,35 cal, .44 and .458 checks) The checks for the 45/70 require two thicknesses of the Lithoplate. The Lithoplate sheets are .0008" thick. Tell Charlie what the shank size is on your boolit, he will get you the right size die. IMHO, it dosent make any since to use copper that is expensive, when you can get Lithoplate for almost nothing. In my case absolutely nothing! And they shoot as good as any boughten copper checks we have ever tried.

Boolit Mold
    im in the same boat as you caliber wise, do you double up lithoplate always or just with certain sizes and i have a supplier for cheap copper about .014-.015 thick so would that work?

In Remembrance
    Used Lithographic plate it is your best choice. Newspapers use .007 and .012. Copper has to be of the right hardness or Charlies FC tools will make shoes out of them. If you can source C210 copper or equivalent will work. At Sages Outdoors we use Amerimax 68114 for 30's and 68214 for .303 checks. The thickness of 68114 varies from .0135 to .015 , 68214 varies from .015 to .018. Flashing is cull material and that is why it is sold for flashing. You can order certified thicknesses from On-Line Metals and others. It doesn't vary more than .001. If you get to thick of material you will jamb the tools. Don't hammer punches in the cutters if you jamb up drill carefully drill with a small drill bit and tap out.

Quote Originally Posted by younggunz67 View Post
    im in the same boat as you caliber wise, do you double up lithoplate always or just with certain sizes and i have a supplier for cheap copper about .014-.015 thick so would that work?

Just for the 45/70 checks. All others get one single plate.

Boolit Mold
    Can you get away with using aluminium roof flashing that's about .014 thick or does it not work well

I have only used roof flashing once. It was brittle and to thick. That was for 22 caliber checks. I have not tried nor needed anything thicker than the Lithoplate, double thickness for the 45/70 checks. I can't see having two thicknesses of materials around when one will do. If you do get a stuck check in the punch, and you will, use a brass rod to push them out with the arbor press ram. I get the occasional stuck check when I fail to push the material to the back of the slot when punching them out. Several members here have used checks that I have provided them. I think all are very happy with the results since they don't refuse seconds and thirds.

Boolit Buddy

More checks pleaseee....!!!

Boolit Mold
    I need something that I can have on a spool

Boolit Mold
    Like a half inch wide coil where should I get it and what?

Got mine from Yonky it's .0145 I think. Want to try some .016 for my fat 30s The coils are a big time saver and the right width so you don't jam the tool. GP

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Got mine from Yonky it's .0145 I think. Want to try some .016 for my fat 30s The coils are a big time saver and the right width so you don't jam the tool. GP
    I will be sending over a few coils of .590" x.016" if your interested in trying some of that for your fat 30s
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    GP: I am Yonky's USA shipper and I have several coils of .016" (.0164") x 5/8" aluminum material, alloy 3003, if you would like to give it a test. PM me. Gil
    Try being informed instead of just opinionated.
    Sometimes it is better to just smile and walk away.

You can always tell a Handloader, by his unceasing quest for spent brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Let go of the one size fits all thickness idea. Every mold and caliber is different. You will find you need different thicknesses based on shank diameter. Yonky's spools are a time saver.