Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convert Bearcat to centerfire

Convert Bearcat to centerfire

Reading John Taffin's article about Bearcats in the new Guns magazine today, I couldn't help but think how entertaining one of those would be if it fired 25 ACP. About the same power, but cheap to shoot and I could reload all the ammo I wanted. I have never looked closely at one to see what it would take to convert it to centerfire, but once that was done (if feasable) a rechamber of the cylinder and reline or rebore the barrel and you'd be in business. I don't know if the cylinder is big enough to take something like a 32 S&W or not, which is why I thought 25 ACP. Anybody ever fool with one of those little revolvers? Any ideas?

-Nobade

Boolit Master

Aluminum or steel frame?

Pretty sure the new ones are steel.

-Nobade

Vendor Sponsor

Hondo44 does something like that over in the Ruger.net forum by welding the hammer and relocating the firing pin in the frame.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

There's quite a few custom .32 CF Bearcats around, with new/custom 5-shot cylinders.

Alan Harton (TX) has converted many - all New Bearcat, stainless and blued carbon steel frames that are larger/stronger than OM Bearcats & Super Bearcats.

Vendor Sponsor

I had forgotten about this neat little Alan Harton conversion of a New Bearcat to 327 Federal Magnum, quite the little jewel of a pistol!

http://www.gunblast.com/Harton-327Bearcat.htm

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Well, that is a bit more than I had in mind, but it sure is neat!

I wonder how big you can go and keep it a 6 shot?

Thanks for sharing, keep 'em coming!

-Nobade

Boolit Master

Well- Hows about 32-20?
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think I'd wait until the new ones with adjustable sights are available.

.32 S&W Long would be my caliber choice, those .25ACP components are awful tiny to be loading in large amounts.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post

I wonder how big you can go and keep it a 6 shot?

Why care ?

It wouldn't be a CCW, or service revolver - so 5 shots oughta put down any small game that may charge to shooter, with mayhem on it's mind.............

Boolit Master
    Dang! A five shot 327 that looks like Ruger's new "shopkeeper" would be really sweet.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Has anybody heard of the 25 chambered in anything but a tiny little gun with crummy sights and a tiny little barrel? I'm wondering about the accuracy potential of the round. I think the hassle of pumping out 500 rds on a progressive would be less than trying to find a brick of 22 and when found the new age cost.

Boolit Master

I've always wondered why Ruger didn't bump the Bearcat frame up in size to allow it to be chambered for the larger center fire cartridges. The one piece frame with integral grip frame seems like it would be easier and cheaper to manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by Denver View Post
    I've always wondered why Ruger didn't bump the Bearcat frame up in size to allow it to be chambered for the larger center fire cartridges. The one piece frame with integral grip frame seems like it would be easier and cheaper to manufacture.

The carbon and/or stainless steel New Bearcat's frames are larger than the Old Model Bearcat's frames - to accept the .22 WMR (magnum) cartridge more easily (which didn't work out for Ruger, recalling all LR/WMR Bearcat Convertibles)

Also why Alan Harton & others use the New Bearcat for their .32 conversions.

Boolit Master
    As far as considering the 25 ACP I think you are not going to be happy.
    The 25 ACP is a Rimless cartridge, and it will headspace on the case mouth.
    Then, without a rim, the case upon firing is jumping forward, with nothing but the case mouth to stop the forward progress.
    Not the best set up for accuracy.
    That is why you see so few 9mm revolvers.
    It would be a great concept, but I just feel it isn't worth all the work you would have to put into it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    As far as considering the 25 ACP I think you are not going to be happy.
    The 25 ACP is a Rimless cartridge, and it will headspace on the case mouth.
    Then, without a rim, the case upon firing is jumping forward, with nothing but the case mouth to stop the forward progress.
    Not the best set up for accuracy.
    That is why you see so few 9mm revolvers.
    It would be a great concept, but I just feel it isn't worth all the work you would have to put into it.
    The 25 ACP is semi-rimmed, and headspaces on that rim.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

And the Bearcat is a single action, so you can headspace on the mouth and still eject cases. Another possibility would be Hornet cases blown out straight and cut to the right length to fit the cylinder, with 90 gr. or so bullets. 27 Special?

The whole idea is to come up with something that is in roughly the same power range as the original 22LR but reloadable and cheap to shoot.

-Nobade

As far as headspacing on the case mouth, I offer my US Fire Arms SAA in .45 Colt with conversion cylinder in .45ACP. It is much more accurate with the ACP chambering. Go figure.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    As far as headspacing on the case mouth, I offer my US Fire Arms SAA in .45 Colt with conversion cylinder in .45ACP. It is much more accurate with the ACP chambering. Go figure.
    Yep, mine too. I figure it's the much less recoil that makes it easier to shoot! But yes, they do shoot really well. Headspacing on the mouth, if the chamber is designed properly, isn't a problem.

-Nobade

I would think that a handgun designed and marketed for the reloader with a 4" barrel and adjustable sights would be well received. I know I'd like one I have free alloy for bullets and a pound of powder would go a long way. I really haven't shot many 22s in the last 20 yrs, I prefer to reload my ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast