Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mora: A Great Knife for a Great Price

Mora: A Great Knife for a Great Price

A couple years ago I bought a Swedish Army surplus knife made by Mora of Sweden. It has a 4.29" carbon steel blade, a rubber-like handle and a utilitarian plastic, olive drab scabbard. It is totally utilitarian, nothing fancy. But the steel is excellent. And the design makes it a great field dressing knife.

The greatest feature is the price. I bought it from Sportsman's Guide for less than $15. The knife is available from other vendors as well. I highly recommend this knife for the cost conscious hunter, or anyone who wants a very good hunting knife.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mora Army Knife.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	136801

Boolit Master

One of the . Best values and most useful knives out there, found one a year or so ago at a yard sale for a dollar! Backwoodsmen magazine always has an article of how good/low priced they are. Tough to beat and even new at gun shows you can find them.for $20.

Boolit Man
    Moras are awesome knives and as mentioned the steel is excellent...not sure which stainless is used but it'll sharpen up like a razor. For only 15-20.00 they are a best buy for sure.

Boolit Master

Plus one on Mora. I have several. I have new bought 2 1/2 inch model that is the best for cleaning chickens and small game, yes they rust but can be cleaned up and honed to a razor in no time.
    Wood handled ones are great they float.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Mold
    Will the blade hold an edge?

Boolit Master

I have three of the old red handle ones! Awesome knifes!
    Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Buddy
    I have an old wood handled one that belonged to my "hunting Uncle". Lot of memories associated with that knife. The only thing I don't care for in regards to them are the dangler style sheaths, much prefer one that keeps the knife from flopping all over the place.

Eric

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by SWMO1 View Post
    Mine do. Good choice for an affordble knife for the bailout or man overboard bag.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

They hold a good edge. They have a good carbon blade on them just need to keep a little oil on them once in awhile. FB

Boolit Bub
    +1 great knives. I field dressed a deer the other day and after cleaning it up left it on the kitchen counter. My son happened upon it and decided to come demonstrate to me how sharp it was by slicing paper in thin slivers. I laughed and told him about the deer and that the knife only cost $14. He got online and ordered himself one.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMO1 View Post
    Who cares? Mora knife is so cheap you can use it care-free. You can cut anything, like steel wire if necessary.. When it gets dull, just buy an another one. That is the whole point of choosing a MORA knife.

Boolit Master

I have several and like them.

Simple straightforward carbon steel knife (I do not usually buy any SS knives)

Have them in packs, car, truck, on the kitchen counter, on my woodz traipsing belt with shoulder holster and of course my fishing vest and in the canoe. Guess I kinda like em.

Thoroughly clean the carbon steel blade knife, treat the blade with a coating of plain ol yellow mustard, they will take on a patina and will be a little more rust resistant . Just coat the blade with thin coat of prepared mustard and let it sit til you see the blade changing color or til it dries on the blade.

Hold an edge, I used it this year to skin (2019) to completely debone a 180# MO deer and it was still sharp.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 01-21-2020 at 10:49 PM. Reason: correct spelling and add info
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

I've also got an old red handled one. They're great knives, and I use it for everything from kitchen work to gutting animals.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Yes it will hold an edge.

I have at least 7 or 8 around the house.

I do like to put the knife in a vice (padded) and take a small file to the back edge.
    They tend to have a rounded profile. For ferro rod work and scraping fatwood I like a nice sharp square back edge. Couple of minutes is all it takes.

Most of mine have a chunk of fatwood and a Ferro-rod attached to the sheath. Just makes them a more complete handy in any situation tool IMO.

You can take the knife, the ferro-rod, the fatwood, drop it all to the bottom of a bucket of water.
    Walk away, come back in half an hour. Shake it off, shave a few matchstick sized pieces off a corner of the fatwood, then reverse the knife and make some nice scrapings. Fluffy fatwood shavings really. One or two hits on the ferro-rod and you have a fire.

To me that is about as easy and fool proof as it gets.

511's, companions, one of these days I'll get a companion heavy duty in olive drab.
    For the price, IMO they are very hard to beat.

If you want to dress them up, some mustard, a couple of toothpicks, and 5 minutes in a hot vinegar bath will put a nice pattern on the blade.

Attachment 208153

Boolit Master
    Will they hold an edge, yep ! Skinned my deer jointed and boned it out then whipped it off and sliced my baloney for my lunch. Never even touched it up, now if my wife has used it and put it in the doggone dishwasher it'll need sharpening! The blade has patina from use but the edge will rust in the dishwasher. For 14 bucks, can't beat it, and I'm a knife snob! Pretty is as pretty does, great knife.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I have two, and stared long and hard at their new model at Cabela's. 2"-ish blade, much more compact for my woods walking kit than my Classic.

They're not as tacticool as ESEE or CRKT, but IMO their much more practical for learning knife tasks.

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    Got two Mora kniven. A laminated Carbon steel one with red wooden handle which is supposed to be a carpenter's tool and a high carbon "rust resistant" steel one with the modern plastic and rubber handle (international orange!).

Both knives have field dressed several deer and taken apart some chickens, turkeys and ducks we slaughtered. The stainless is a bit harder to sharpen but holds an edge quite well. The carbon steel is softer and really easy to sharpen, which is good because you will have to at least use a steel on it during any larger jobs.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180911_173756_resized.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	226991
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Boolit Master

A carbon steel Mora is my go to for butchering farm critters and deer. I can usually get through a deer/sheep/goat without resharpening.

Boolit Master

Dang it, I didn't need another knife till now. Thanks all.

Boolit Master

I skinned and deboned a 180 pounder week before last (Nov 2019) using the plain, simple carbon steel Mora.

Did not even think about it until I finished and realized it was all done with one knife and no sharpening as I worked.

I did use a different knife for cutting and trimming the meat.
    Used a filet knife for those chores.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 01-21-2020 at 10:51 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast