Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Catfishing

Tommeboy might want to think about coming north for those channels.

I live on the Red River of the north and it is one of the premier channel catfish fishery's in the world.

North of me by Drayton to Winnipeg they regularly catch 30 lb channels and up.
    I live in Fargo and recently my best is a 13 # channel on light tackle. But I have hooked caught, and lost bigger ones in the past. I have seen a couple of 20 # fish close up. But one night on a smaller river I saw a monster cat take a beer can rolling on the top of the water sideways in his mouth. Made a big slurp, my buddy asked "what was that?"

Biggest channel cat I've ever seen just took my schmidt beer can, sideways.

"You lying son of a gun"

BLURP

And up the can popped, crushed almost beyond recognition.

"You son of a so in so, you were telling the truth!"

Yep

"how big was it?"

Scary big, ain't swimming in this river no more.

True story, and I have not been back swimming in it in 40 years.

Just cause.

Boolit Master

Not much of a cat fisherman anymore, but it seems I catch them anyway. While I like catching the big ones, I prefer eating the 10-14" ones better. Here in TN, you can get on the big ones if you want, out by the steam plant, but I found a nice spot under a bridge where a bunch of birds nest. I take a few friends out there now and then who like to cat fish and we always come back with a few.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Banned

Boy we nailed them last summer. We are just gearing up for the coming year. Yesterday my boat trailer and car got hit by a woman texting on her phone. Trailer is a total loss. I have to take the car to get looked at. Not a very good way to start the year.

Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear that Tom.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Ray View Post
    We call them Hornedpout. (Leave out the "d"). The old Frenchman call them "belbout" or sumpin like 'at.
    Ours don't grow anywhere near the size you southerners have. Probably just as well. All the trout and salmon fishermen would raise a stink
    and find some way to screw up our fun.
    Seventy yrs ago I used a bamboo pole and green twisted line with a gob of worms on the hook. The muskeetos didn't allow much fun and the whole event was just for food. They are the BEST fresh water table fish IMHO.

Brings back memories.
    Pepe Ray
    I have not hear them call what you call them on both names for years now. I use to live in MA and that is what we always call them by both names you came up with. I have use the gut of gizzard shad here that was large size and the gut seem like candy to the cats in the Mississippi River.I have not got any big size like stated but it was good for the table I hope to get some this year.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Attachment 227508Attachment 227509I fish the Coosa river here in central Alabama. Blues, channels and Flatheads. The Flatheads get caught on live shiners when I can find them but the blues and channel cats LOVE hot dogs soaked in strawberry jello powder. Rooster livers (not regular chicken livers) work very well too, but fresh shad minnows are the all time best. We drift them under "noodles" made from childrens swim noodles with 4/0 circle hooks. 12 of the fit easily in a 5 gal bucket. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I fish quite a bit for cats. we have channels and flatheads here in Yuma. they can get pretty **** big here too. if you havnt tried it yet, look into a stink bait called premo. this is catfish crack in a tub. this is the best bait ive ever used for cats...

Quote Originally Posted by danthman114 View Post
    I fish quite a bit for cats. we have channels and flatheads here in Yuma. they can get pretty **** big here too. if you havnt tried it yet, look into a stink bait called premo. this is catfish crack in a tub. this is the best bait ive ever used for cats...
    Where do you get that stink bait at? From how I use to get cats back in MA is different then how I get them here in IA and try to find the best way to get them out here now.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

When I first saw the title I was thinking of online catfishing. Pretending to be someone you are not and building up a fake identity to lure in or abuse others with.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catfishing

That show to catch a predator the police luring in the predator are "catfishing" One funny one was three girls that got ISIS (yeah that ISIS) to wire them over $3000 bucks so they could fly to join them in Syria. The girls got the money and just closed the social media account. Bye-bye suckers.

Have not been fishing in years. Did have a friend down in Ohio and his family lived near Lake Erie we caught some channel cats together was too many years to recall where, his dad cooked them, they were good. They seemed big compared to the panfish and occasional bass I would catch up here from the inland lakes.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Where do you get that stink bait at? From how I use to get cats back in MA is different then how I get them here in IA and try to find the best way to get them out here now.
    Walmart
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/MAGIC-BAI...oaAnn3EALw_wcB
    all my fishing is in the Colorado river so the current is there. I also use a 1 or 2oz spoon weight
    the way I set it up is get the trouble hooks with the sponge and attach a long stainless leader and slide one of those rubber net things over it...https://www.walmart.com/ip/Magic-Bai...54&athena=true

Boolit Master
    Not much for it myself but my grandfather supplied the neighborhood with fillets. He had a small john boat he'd take to the lake (almost any lake). His trick was tying a burlap tote sack full of chicken scraps from the butcher down the street just above his anchor. He'd set the anchor/chum bag down, grab a beer and sit back for half an hour. By then the catfish would be around and he'd usually catch as many as he wanted.. He tied chicken livers in a knot of some torn nylon stocking he'd grab from my grandmother. One piece of liver knotted up in the "nylons" would last through 20 or so catfish.

Ivory soap. Didn't believe it til I saw it.
    Whatever!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12