Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Pro Melt Upgrades

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OpenNRG View Post
    On the RCBS you can just use the stock round bar that sticks above the top and slip the spiraled copper wire over the round bar. Put the thermocouple / thermometer in that opening in the front. Just put a spiral on each end of a piece of copper wire. Bend it in such a way that it clips into that opening.
    Obviously I'm a visual learner.
    I understand attaching the wire to the round post that is the handle fulcrum (RCBS' name not mine).

then an inch or so down the wire make a spiral for the TC to fit in. With mine I would need a way to keep it off the bottom but that's not the issue.

It's the clips into that opening that is fuzzy for me. Are we talking the space between the nozzle shut off pin (again RCBS's name) and the front of the pot? Or behind the pin, more towards the center of the pot.

Reason I'm asking is I don't want to modify your lid unless I need to.

thanks
    walt
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I just received the kit over the weekend and have it installed. I haven't had time to use it yet but plan on it soon.
    I did not get the lid as I use a hot plate to heat the mold and cover the melt with saw dust. It should help with the
    8 cavity H & G monster.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    Just cast about 200 bullets and the shelf works as advertised. Thanks Dewayne

Walter, See if this image clears it up. I no longer have an RCBS here or I would have mounted it. Ramsmacker had sent me his to get this upgrade done. You want the thermocouple side up off the pot lid so you don't have to move it when taking the lid off. I started with a 14" piece of wire.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thermocouple mounta.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	139780

Boolit Master
    DeWayne,

On the ProMelt the crucible appears to be attached to the housing by four screws from the top. The screw at the front lines up with the slot in the front of your top plate (lid). Could that screw not be used as an attachment point for a T/C bracket; wire, bent plate, whatever? I'm asking these questions as I do not yet own a ProMelt. Also, I'd rather not take a "hack saw" to your product which seems to be of very high quality and professionally done.

Best regards,

Tony
    Last edited by tonyjones; 05-18-2015 at 10:36 PM. Reason: addition for clarity

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OpenNRG View Post
    Walter, See if this image clears it up. I no longer have an RCBS here or I would have mounted it. Ramsmacker had sent me his to get this upgrade done. You want the thermocouple side up off the pot lid so you don't have to move it when taking the lid off. I started with a 14" piece of wire.

Name:	thermocouple mounta.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	139780
    That is just what I needed to see. Should be an easy mod for me to pull off. Like the fact that I don't have to modify the lid.
    Appreciate all the help on this
    walt
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjones View Post
    DeWayne,

On the ProMelt the crucible appears to be attached to the housing by four screws from the top. The screw at the front lines up with the slot in the front of your top plate (lid). Could that screw not be used as an attachment point for a T/C bracket; wire, bent plate, whatever? I'm asking these questions as I do not yet own a ProMelt. Also, I'd rather not take a "hack saw" to your product which seems to be of very high quality and professionally done.

Best regards,

Tony
    Tony,
    what you see is a pop rivet rather than a screw. I guess you could drill it out and replace with a screw but I would not be happy with loose parts for the pop rivet inside the housing but then that's just me

walt
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

Boolit Master
    Thanks Walt. TJ

Well, you got me looks like I cant live with out these ...
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Buddy

Name:	GOPR0116.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	140067

Here's my install. They all begin to look the same after a while.
    The item to the far right is a Fluke Thermometer with an immersion K-Coupler. Very accurate.
    I can not know what I don't know.

Got mine. Works good. Wish it had a second mold guide!
    PJ
    NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by pjames32 View Post
    Got mine. Works good. Wish it had a second mold guide!
    PJ
    Added the fence (guide) to the site as a separate product if you want to order one. Can only be used with front to back casting as there isn't a slot in the front for a second fence when casting side to side.

thanks, DeWayne

DeWayne-Thx....I'll try a couple sessions to see if I can adapt. I do cast front to back. I'll see if this old dog can learn a new trick.
    PJ
    NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by pjames32 View Post
    DeWayne-Thx....I'll try a couple sessions to see if I can adapt. I do cast front to back. I'll see if this old dog can learn a new trick.
    PJ
    I do left to right, put a Sharpie mark on the shelf at where to start and another at where to stop.

Boolit Buddy
    SO, I used my Pro Melt for the first time since installing the shelf and lid. I generally cast outside and today was no different. Now, we're in that time of year when the Maple trees are dropping those long curly things. It was a windy day so they were falling all over the place. The lid kept them out of the alloy and that was a big bonus. Kept out some of the stupid Beetles flying around as well. It was fun watching them dance off the lid...

The Shelf was a God Send. I only dropped about 250 boolits, but the initial strain relieved from your shoulder and bicep from having to hold the mould and now filled with the weight of the alloy would have allowed me to drop another 250 if time allowed.

Every furnace needs this shelf and lid. Such a simple solution for a much more enjoyable casting day. Love it!
    Last edited by Jim_P; 05-24-2015 at 11:36 PM.
    I can not know what I don't know.

I got shipment notification. So I went down to the shop and emptied my Pro-Melt in preparation of installing this shelf and lid kit. Emptied it by casting up a bunch of 125 gr 9mm bullets.

Boolit Master

Used mine a couple of days ago. Shelf is well worth the purchase. Really like the top--not sure if it helps but it looks cool and gives me a place to preheat ingots before going in pot.

I love it when a plan comes together -- Hannibal" Smith
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

Boolit Bub
    Just ordered one, thanks for making these!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_P View Post
    SO, I used my Pro Melt for the first time since installing the shelf and lid. I generally cast outside and today was no different. Now, we're in that time of year when the Maple trees are dropping those long curly things. It was a windy day so they were falling all over the place. The lid kept them out of the alloy and that was a big bonus. Kept out some of the stupid Beetles flying around as well. It was fun watching them dance off the lid...

The Shelf was a God Send. I only dropped about 250 boolits, but the initial strain relieved from your shoulder and bicep from having to hold the mould and now filled with the weight of the alloy would have allowed me to drop another 250 if time allowed.

Every furnace needs this shelf and lid. Such a simple solution for a much more enjoyable casting day. Love it!
    Thanks for the comments. Would like to see a pic of the Dancing Beetles
    DeWayne

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    Used mine a couple of days ago. Shelf is well worth the purchase. Really like the top--not sure if it helps but it looks cool and gives me a place to preheat ingots before going in pot.

I love it when a plan comes together -- Hannibal" Smith
    The top can get hot enough to melt the ingots. Best to have them in something just to be safe. I just use my ingot mold then dump em and pick em up with some ingot pliers. Bought these years ago for pulling hard to reach plug wires and when I needed some ingot pliers they were perfect. They dig into the lead so you can grab an ingot from pretty much any angle and put it right where you need it. Opens to a couple of inches with one hand and about three with two. Harbor Freight / $14.99 for set of 3 / $6.95 shipping. Link below.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...ers-37909.html

Name:	Ingot Pliers.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	295.9 KB 
ID:	140449

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast