Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Pro Melt Upgrades

RCBS Pro Melt Upgrades

Shelf and Lid upgrades now available for the RCBS Pro Melt. We did an upgrade kit for the Lee Pro 4 -20 furnace about 3 years ago. Some asked for one for the RCBS but we never got to it. Recently Ramsmacker here at castboolits offered to send me a new, in box Pro Melt to do the kit for. He also has the kit for the Lee Pot. That was the push I needed to get this one out. All it needed was the shelf and a lid.

Here's a the assembly PDF. Only takes a few minutes.

These are available on our site at http://www.my2ndright.com/

Shelf kit is $39.95. Shelf and Lid Kit is $49.95 and Lid only is $16.95.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rcbs pro melt 17b.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	136730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rcbs pro melt 04b.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	136731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rcbs pro melt 18b.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	136732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rcbs pro melt 15b.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	136733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rcbs pro melt 14b.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	136734

thanks, let me know if you have any questions

Looks good

Boolit Master
    That looks like a really nice set-up!

One question, however: On the shelf kit, is the bar with thumb screw designed to fit in the "T-shaped" slots in the shelf plate? The reason I'm asking is because I have a number of NOE RG type hollow point moulds, and they have the hollow point pin guides, with their machine screws sticking out of the bottom of the moulds. If the slots in the shelf plate aren't covered, they would interfere with the free movement of the moulds over the shelf plate while casting.

Thanks,

Dave
    Psalm 18: 28-49
    Psalm 144: 1-8

Dr Owl Creek - The bar with the bolt pressed in is the adjustable fence. Your right, the slots in the shelf would interfere with the pins sticking out the bottom. Seems to me that the stock round bar guide would also interfere with the pins sticking out the bottom. A solution with the shelf would be to simply put a piece of thin gauge flat stock under the fence and tighten the fence to hold it down. Maybe drill a hole for the fence bolt to go through. I have some 16ga aluminum here I could do that with.

Boolit Grand Master

Very Nice!!!!!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Very Nice. Looks like the upgrade RCBS should be making. Order placed.

One question. After you raise the mould rest, how does one tighten the screws? Stubby screwdriver? Or are they Allen Wrench heads?
    I can not know what I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_P View Post
    Very Nice. Looks like the upgrade RCBS should be making. Order placed.

One question. After you raise the mould rest, how does one tighten the screws? Stubby screwdriver? Or are they Allen Wrench heads?
    Look at the assembly pdf here. It uses 1/4 x 20 nuts to tighten the shelf supports to the stock columns. Wanted to use wing nuts here so you wouldn't need a tool but the wing nuts wouldn't get it tight enough. Would have had to make the supports thinner to use wing nuts. So you'll need a 7/16" wrench or socket when adjusting. On the stock round bar guide you need a hex wrench so I guess it's a wash.

Thanks for the orders. DeWayne

That looks like I got to have it! Now all I have to do is sell some more blood to the red cross and I will order one for myself.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

Nice work. I'd already made a shelf and cover for mine (similar to yours, as I pinched your idea for the Lee version ), yours, of course, is somewhat neater than mine. In my opinion all pots should have a shelf, it just makes them so much easier to use (I use one on the Pro Melt and the Lee).

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenNRG View Post
    Look at the assembly pdf here. It uses 1/4 x 20 nuts to tighten the shelf supports to the stock columns. Wanted to use wing nuts here so you wouldn't need a tool but the wing nuts wouldn't get it tight enough. Would have had to make the supports thinner to use wing nuts. So you'll need a 7/16" wrench or socket when adjusting. On the stock round bar guide you need a hex wrench so I guess it's a wash.

Thanks for the orders. DeWayne
    DeWayne,

Got that. But the 4 button head screws (I presume they are screws because it looks like the holes in the support arms are threaded) are they socket head or phillips?

Jim

P.S. Either way I have the right tool, but asking the question to be prepared and for anyone else looking at this thread.

Boolit Master
    Dr Owl Creek - The bar with the bolt pressed in is the adjustable fence. Your right, the slots in the shelf would interfere with the pins sticking out the bottom. Seems to me that the stock round bar guide would also interfere with the pins sticking out the bottom. A solution with the shelf would be to simply put a piece of thin gauge flat stock under the fence and tighten the fence to hold it down. Maybe drill a hole for the fence bolt to go through. I have some 16ga aluminum here I could do that with.

One more question: Would it be possible to order your shelf plate without the slots cut in it, and the fence without the bolt pressed in place? That way there would still be a completely smooth surface on the shelf plate, but if I wanted to use the fence, I could use either small C-clamps or long-neck locking C-clamps to hold the fence in place.

Thanks,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_P View Post
    DeWayne,

Got that. But the 4 button head screws (I presume they are screws because it looks like the holes in the support arms are threaded) are they socket head or phillips?

Jim

P.S. Either way I have the right tool, but asking the question to be prepared and for anyone else looking at this thread.
    They are socket head, recessed into the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by DR Owl Creek View Post
    One more question: Would it be possible to order your shelf plate without the slots cut in it, and the fence without the bolt pressed in place? That way there would still be a completely smooth surface on the shelf plate, but if I wanted to use the fence, I could use either small C-clamps or long-neck locking C-clamps to hold the fence in place.

Thanks,

Dave
    I could do the shelf without the slots and the fence without the bolt. I don't think you will like dealing with the clamps. I think a floating plate that covers the slots and moves with the fence will take care of the bottom pins. Will do a quickie tomorrow and post a pic for you to see.

Boolit Buddy
    They are socket head, recessed into the shelf.
    Thank you Sir. Great Service. I am looking forward to getting this. It's almost casting season. Heck, I just might finally warm up huddling over the casting pot ...

Jim

Boolit Master
    Order for two shelves has been placed !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

DR Owl Creek - I believe this will take care of the bottom pins. Let me know what you think. You could also take this plate and add rails on top using double sided tape or high temp silicone (gasket maker).

Name:	rcbs pro melt 23.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	279.9 KB 
ID:	136970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rcbs pro melt 21.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	340.6 KB 
ID:	136971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rcbs pro melt 20.jpg 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	136972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rcbs pro melt 22.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	136973

Boolit Master
    Great upgrade, just ordered one. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    DR Owl Creek - I believe this will take care of the bottom pins. Let me know what you think. You could also take this plate and add rails on top using double sided tape or high temp silicone (gasket maker).

Name:	rcbs pro melt 23.jpg 
Size:	279.9 KB 
ID:	136970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rcbs pro melt 21.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	340.6 KB 
ID:	136971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rcbs pro melt 20.jpg 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	136972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rcbs pro melt 22.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	136973

DeWayne,

That looks great! I'll buy a shelf and lid kit, along with that extra plate. Send me a PM or post the price on this thread for all of it, and I'll ordered it ASAP.

Dave

Dr Owl Creek - Floating shelf plate is $4.00. It's on the site now. Just needed your approval. You can order off the site. http://www.my2ndright.com/

Note - If you want to make custom guides for certain molds here are a few tips.
    1. Aluminum is easy to cut with regular woodworking blades on a chop saw. Cut on the forward stroke and float on the stroke back. Spray some lube on the blade and it will fly into the cut as you are making it.
    2. High Temp silicone works as a good glue to +-500 degrees depending on which you use. I use Permatex Ultra Copper
    3. Wood can be used as a guide or jig. It's good to +-200 degrees and higher briefly. Cheap to replace. Easy to work with.
    4. You can score thin aluminum with a formica knife and get a clean bend on the score using just pliers. Keep bending it back and forth and it breaks off.

Moderator Emeritus

I just ordered a kit (RCBS) + plates -- can't wait to install and use it!
    george

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast