Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Big Bore Air Guns

Boolit Master

Big Bore Air Guns

My brother has and shoots big bore air rifles (not these). He sent me a link to this fellows hand built air guns and the guy even uses boolits!

http://www.extremebigboreairrifles.com/

Not sure if this is something I would use but it was interesting, especially the pig with the pistol.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

I saw a .458 bore air gun at the NRA convention on Friday. It was at the AirForce booth. Didn't ask the price since I wasn't interested. Here is a link:

http://www.airforceairguns.com/The-T...guns-s/118.htm
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Guys I have a Jack Haley 308, 457 and a Quackenbush Bandit 50 very nice shooters, I started out with .177 and have moved up to the big bores hoping to deer hunt here in Missouri this fall.Attachment 138501Attachment 138502This is my 457 with Hornady roundballs at 45 yards

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    My foray into big bore air guns happened several years ago. I was an avid bow hunter but I developed a perpetual ache in my shooting elbow that forced me to stop archery hunting so I bought a SamYang 45 caliber air rifle thinking that it required the same type of spot-and-stalk hunting style as archery hunting; and it basically did.

Unfortunately for me, at the time it was illegal to hunt anything but rabbits and squirrels with a "Pneumatic Weapon" of any kind in Arizona. I should have checked into this before actually buying this PCP big bore air gun.

I did take it out a few times and it was a good shooter using 200 grain 45 caliber cast lyman devastator bullets. Since I already had some dedicated rabbit and squirrel guns, in the end I sold the big bore and used that money on reloading equipment.

Wouldn't you know it? Shortly thereafter, the state of Arizona passed laws making it legal to hunt game animals other than rabbits and squirrels with "Pneumatic Weapons" so long as the bore size met specific requirements.

Now I'm wishing I'd never sold it. Sometimes you just can't win.

HollowPoint

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter73 View Post
    Hey Guys I have a Jack Haley 308, 457 and a Quackenbush Bandit 50 very nice shooters, I started out with .177 and have moved up to the big bores hoping to deer hunt here in Missouri this fall.Attachment 138501Attachment 138502This is my 457 with Hornady roundballs at 45 yards
    You made me think for a moment and take a head count . Unless I forgot one I came up with ten BB. I am not hunting with them . I am tethering and regulating them for 800 shots a week at present . A lot less expensive than a PB . And I can spend more time shooting since there is no reloading just casting for them . GL with the hunts .Marvin

Whats your take on the hatsan .308 Marvin ?
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    Whats your take on the hatsan .308 Marvin ?
    I took another look at PA site and the question was asked if RB could be loaded and the answer was no . The mag is to narrow . And the energy for it and the .357 was low for me . I stay away from multi shot rifles since I cast for my self . Many times the mags will only except pellets . And most of them do not have leads cut in the barrel . Which causes more pressure on the bolt and handle than what they were made for when loading bullets instead of pellets . Might work for some but I shoot to much and things happen quickly because of it . If there are weakness in the rifle . Also many have chocked barrels because they were may to shoot pellets . And this can cause problems when bullets are used .
    I have been looking into another 25 caliber for my self . And about the only single shot I have seen is the AF line . And I have a old 25 cal. condor already that has seen a lot of usage . But I think I will pull it out of retirement and see if I can get it going again before I buy another . Marvin

Thanks, I thought it was more for shuttlecocks rather than bullets,you confirmed this. Maybe ill buy an airforce again and have my buddy fit a .308 barrel.I dont need raw power but I'd like 15 or so shots of fair power(75 fpe) from one fill as I prefer to hand pump.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Note that the .30 cal pellets made by JSB (used by FX and Daystate) measure 0.300" at the head and are NOT intended for a 0.308" barrel.... Mike at TJ's has a barrel specifically designed for them that measures 0.300" groove, 0.294" land, with a 26" twist.... It just won the Extreme Bench Rest match, so it's definitely a shooter....

If you are primarily interested in bullets, I would suggest either .308" or even a 32-30 barrel (0.312" groove)....

Bob