Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 440gr Lee in 500 S&W ?

Boolit Master

440gr Lee in 500 S&W ?

I'll try to make this very specific.

Pistol: 500 S&W

The intention: Hunt Whitetail deer in WV and PA.

Boolit: 440gr Lee

I would like to keep velocity around 1200 to 1300

I use a lead/linotype alloy.

What boolit hardness would you shoot for?

Do you think this is good choice for the task?

Thanks,

Motor

Boolit Man
    Shooting the 440grain is OK for hunting deer or actually a lot of other critters. Hardness,, you should use at least 22BHN, and you can use 12- 13gr of Titegroup which should give you your choice of range on the velocity. lead /linotype alloy is fine with 80WW/20lead or close to that. Cast Performance has some nice 440gr w/gas check in case you where not aware of them.
    You did not give a preference of the powder but from experience I had good luck with LIL Gun and even liked VHT N110 better than H110 LiL Gun usually gives less pressure than H110 and same velocities. Have you tried any of these in the Cold weather? Not Picking on H110 but it is hard to ignite in colder weather. I am only offering you my experience. Not telling you what to do.
    Never ask the last question...... LOL But I will be nice about this... From the standpoint of the 500 ? Yes I would much rather use this bullet than all the others I used in that caliber. I used the Hornady XTPs, the lever action Bullet ( red tipped) and several Barnes, and of course the lead 440gr. My 1st choice is my 45Long Colt caliber 2nd choice is my 44mag and I would rather shoot my 454 than to carry those heavy 500s ever again. See what I mean? about that last question?

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the reply. I don't know what to say. I sent my older brother to the shop to get me a pound of powder and he buys this 500 for me. A birthday gift. This is the 3rd one he bought. I figure you don't look a gift horse in the face, right?

He has used full power j-word in his as does my younger brother for deer but last year we did a little experiment.

I loaded some Lee 250gr REAL with 12gr Unique. The accuracy was nearly hole in hole at 50 yards. Seating was a little strange because of the REAL's diameter so next time around I bought a Lee .501 size die and sized them. The accuracy was still excellent.

The 250s were cast to around 14bhn. At this hardness and light load (12gr Unique) the 250 did a complete pass through without expanding at 40 yards on a adult doe. As luck would have it the boolit also shot through the center of the heart. She reared up ran about 15 yards then fell.

I wanted something a little harder hitting but also something that would not tear the skin off my palm from recoil.

The Lee 440gr seems to fit that bill. I'll very likely try Unique first. I have the Lyman cast bullet manual and there is data for it. I'll also go un-checked. I'm pretty sure if a muzzleloader boolit cast to 12-14 bhn can work without a gas check the 440gr will too.

Motor

Personally I think your plenty hard.
    We aint shot anything with it yet, but I wouldnt be a bit scared to use a lighter load with that heavy, huge meplat boolit.
    We are using air cooled clip on WW. I make the boolits for my brothers gun, and he likes them loaded hot for griz protection so he's not screwed around much with lighter loads.
    With this heavy Lee boolit, anything around 1000fps would work fine even lengthwise thru any deer and be more fun to shoot. With my WW I think it runs around 14 BHN and we have'nt really had any ploblems loading to the upper end with this. I dont know the powder he's using.

We aint tested these .500 Lee loads yet, I'm just going by the big 44 and 45 Lee's we've tested.
    Maybe we should test these now as I have a stockpile of milk jugs and a niehbor with a butcher shop so I can get a shoulder bone.

12 - 14 bhn is all you need. 22 is way to hard. Get out of the hardcast mindset. Hardcast is good for shipping purposes or hi speed rifle.

Boolit Master
    Very good info guys. Thanks,

Motor

Boolit Master
    I agree with stubert.....even 20-1 or 16-1 would be best at those speeds and pressure levels, you only need harder if your loading that gun to Max. With the softer alloy you should get some expansion and it won't be brittle. In the old days alot of large and dangerous game was killed with soft lead going 1200 fps, much tougher game than a skinny whitetail.

Heat treated or water dropped alloys of 50/50 and the like (.5% tin, 3% antimony, etc.) still retain their toughness. Yes, they still won't expand unless necessary terminal velocity is attained. Add .5% copper for even more toughness. Up to 10 % tin will alloy.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    I believe H110 and L'il Gun will be too slow. I don't have a .500 pistol just one of the H&R rifles. According to QL a far faster powder such as Herco at a much better charge density is desirable in that short a barrel. It shows the two slower powders will require 80% +/- more powder to equal that velocity, with a very low charge density, and there will be a LOT of unburned powder.

Boolit Master
    Wes Daems of 7X Leather shoots my 450 Keith gas check with 13 of Unique out of his four inch. Likes it a lot.

Boolit Master
    For what I want there is only one powder choice and that is Unique. frank505, I will most likely go with 12gr Unique. That is the start load in the Lyman cast data manual. The velocity is good on paper but the test barrel was a 10" not a 8 3/8" but I don't think it will matter much.

I already shoot a 250gr Lee REAL sized to .501" with 12gr Unique. That load has takin a adult whitetail. I'm sure the 440 will even be better. Much better.

I hope to cast some this weekend.

H-110 and L'il Gun are supposed to be 2 of the best 500 mag powders but for top end loads not sub-sonic stuff.

Motor

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubert View Post
    12 - 14 bhn is all you need. 22 is way to hard. Get out of the hardcast mindset. Hardcast is good for shipping purposes or hi speed rifle.
    Well said. No offense to any one present, but this here is the TRUTH, straight up.
    Bullet hardness has been used as a placebic crutch for decades, and it's time to get smart about it. It's not about using bullets that are "hard enough" or "soft enough". It's about using the right hardness for the job.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    Cast some 440s Sunday night. I never cast anything this big there was some learning to do. The new Lee dies don't have much "meat" to them and this big boolit heats it up fast. I really don't mind frosted boolits though because I think they hold A-Lox lube better.

Most dropped at .499" to .500" and from the sample lot I weighed I was pleased with how close they were for such a large hunk of alloy.

I also cast some hollow based mini's. These dropped at around 359gr. I was concidering loading them like hollow points but they are smaller on the body than at the top so I'm going to try them as hollow base wadd cutters. These look like 50 caliber tumble lube almost flat nosed slugs for those of you not familure with it. Yeah its a muzzleloader boolit.

Motor

Banned

I use a 440 in my JRH and at about 22 bhn is WAY too hard at around 1350 fps. That hardness works in the .44 and .475 but boolit weight will also work against you in the .500. Paper punch city.
    Soften and see how good or do like I did, soften half the nose and watch deer drop right now. I use PB so I want hard drive bands for accuracy but it will be wrong many times because you want some expansion. I would prefer to use nothing but pure lead but I also need to hit what I shoot at with smokeless powders. There is the crutch.
    I know it is funny to hear me say that but dang it depends on what you are shooting.
    The best thing I ever did was cast a soft nose on a hard base, pop can accurate at 100 but deer killer supreme. Find accuracy with softer and kill better. Too hard in the .500 and it will not know a deer was in the way. Might start to work at deer number 4 in line!
    Drop the Alox, use a better lube. Casting to frost can make boolits too small, you need .501".

Boolit Master
    44man, Thanks for the tips. I will definatly have to check out the non-frosted diameter next time. Not all I did this last session were frosted but most were .499 to .500"

They are between 12 and 14bhn. Loaded with 14gr of Unique. I will range test them this weekend.

Just going from the results of the 255gr REAL I doubt I'll have any trouble killing a deer with the metplat these 440s have. Even if they don't expand.

Motor

Boolit Master
    Bingo on using the correct hardness for the job. Here are shots of a brand new Uberti Cattleman with the first 100 rounds through the gun. Used a AM 45-250D mold to cast bullets at 11 BHN and lubed with NRA 50/50 lube. Not a hint of leading at 900 fps. Save the 24 BHN for high power rifles at >2200 fps.

Attachment 138368 Attachment 138369

Attachment 138370 Attachment 138371

Attachment 138372

Boolit Master
    Shot the cast boolits today. Some minor leading was observed but no accumulating lead.

The 440s as well as the 359gr mini ball muzzleloader boolit shot good. I'm going to go ahead and try 13gr instead of 14gr Unique with the next bunch of 440s. I don't think 100f/s is going to make much difference on a deer.

We shot some more of the 250gr REAL muzzleloader boolits too. Those things are just stupid accurate. It's unreal.

Motor

Banned

Hard or soft does not mean leading the bore, too many other things affect that. But I really think you need some upset with the .500.
    I am a hard boolit nut but that is not always true. I am going more for a soft nose with hard drive for accuracy now days. The alloy that works is fine as long as you do not lose accuracy. 50-50 works too if oven hardened but you might blow a deer to smoke too.
    I am partial to instant kills without using a sponge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Hard or soft does not mean leading the bore, too many other things affect that. But I really think you need some upset with the .500.
    I am a hard boolit nut but that is not always true. I am going more for a soft nose with hard drive for accuracy now days. The alloy that works is fine as long as you do not lose accuracy. 50-50 works too if oven hardened but you might blow a deer to smoke too.
    I am partial to instant kills without using a sponge.
    Thanks again for the input. I really believe I need to get the 440s to drop larger. The next time I cast I will work on that. If I have to I'll alter the mould. .499-.500 in a .500 GD just dosen't seem good to me. Although it could work if the boolits are soft enough but I'd rather have them at least .501"

The 250 REAL drops at around .506" with its large narrow ring like driving bands. When I size them to .501" I get decent width bands and nice deep lube grooves. I load these with 12gr Unique and as I stated several times they shoot very accurate and do not lead the bore. They are cast to 12bhn with the same lead/linotype alloy as the 440s.

Motor

Boolit Master
    I push the lee 501-440 to 1450 FPS out of a Beowulf with 10 BHN without issue. As long as you have lube, and a gas check you can go pretty soft. I would want it as soft as I could while still maintaining accuracy because you can still get expansion on bone with the softer alloy with that boolit. Like you need expansion anyway. It is one of my most accurate boolits for the wolf. I am working on a load for the NOE 435 grain H/P right now. It comes to 420 grains, and seems to be as accurate as the lee. Lots of bearing surface with both of those designs, but I think the hollow point on the NOE is a bit excessive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast