RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What load 100% case volume 45 Colt?

Boolit Master

What load 100% case volume 45 Colt?

Today I tried my Blackhawk bisley in 45 colt. I loaded 8.5gr green dot under a 230 gr acp boolit. I noticed that case capacity is low, a double charge is possible.
    what powder in 45 colt yields a high volume fill, to prevent a double charge?

1) Holy black.
    2) trail Boss, nearly so.. (It can be made to work, it just smells weird when shot)

Banned
    trail boss....i never smelled it, it just works!!!

Boolit Master
    With the capacity of the 45LC the only way you are going to get full case capacity is the "Holy Black". A Ruger or Win 94 will also get you there with 4227.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    Today I tried my Blackhawk bisley in 45 colt. I loaded 8.5gr green dot under a 230 gr acp boolit. I noticed that case capacity is low, a double charge is possible.
    what powder in 45 colt yields a high volume fill, to prevent a double charge?
    I stand corrected, it was Unique, not green dot. but still got low case fill.

Boolit Buddy

All the fast pistol powders barely make a dent in the capacity of any cartridge originally intended as a black powder cartridge. ie, most revolvers. You can more than double charge the case depending on what charge your throwing

Black powder. You get the most performance for the lowest pressure compared to any smokeless load out there.

-Nobade

Vendor Sponsor

If you are worried about a double charge, do like I do and weigh every charge. You make the most of your loads this way. They are most consistent and most accurate when the charge is all even in every case. And they are the safest!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    A lot of double charges have been "accurately weighed". Either the loader MIS reads the scale or dumps two into the same case. No method is foolproof from a fool or an in attentive reloader. I have a powder check die on my 650 and it accurately checks powder throws to .2 tenths of a grain. But "I" still have to watch it every pull.

I use trail boss in my 45 colt light loads. Works well. 5.6 gr with a 200 gr MCB pill over top. This load does have some powder staining on the cases. Problem is I just ran out and have been searching for another couple of 5lb jugs for a year or two.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Black powder. You get the most performance for the lowest pressure compared to any smokeless load out there.

-Nobade
    OK, what if I give up on this????
    Tell me about the black powder substitutes out there......................you know, the ones that was the only powder available a year ago in the reloading supply shortage?

Do any of these powders work well??

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    45LC cases are BIG! I use fast powders exclusively in them all the time and have never had a double charge by doing this simple loading process:

Measure and dump powder down the epander/fill die
    Immediately put a boolit in the case! Do not fill a bunch and stuff later. Do it immediatley.

If you do that, chances of a 2x fill are very small.

If you are in doubt use a little LED flashlight to look down in the case.

Do not get distracted by phones, music, TV, wives, pets, kids, etc while filling.

I process boolits in batches of 50 and have never had a 2x fill.....ever. Traiboss (if you can find it) will fill up a 45LC case real nice. But it is tough to find. Remember.....the standard bottle of TB only contains 9 oz of powder because it is sooooooooo bulky. Watch the $$.

If you enjoy cleaning and scurbbing your gun for 6X more time than you are shooting, feel free to use BP or substitutes! I shoot TB, TiteGroup, Clays, 700X, and ETR7 with very little fouling after hundreds of rounds thru a gun.

Just do not worry about the small fill of standard pistol powders and have at it like we all do.

Good luck and be safe!

banger-j
    Last edited by bangerjim; 04-12-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Boolit Master

In my Uberti "evil Roy" use 9 grains of Herco under a 250 - 260 grain boolit. You can definitely see a double charge.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    OK, what if I give up on this????
    Tell me about the black powder substitutes out there......................you know, the ones that was the only powder available a year ago in the reloading supply shortage?

Do any of these powders work well??

If you want to shoot a sub powder that works like smokeless, try Blackhorn 209. A lightly compressed charge of that is safe, will give a little more performance than black with a little more pressure, and cleans up like smokeless. Only drawback is the price. T7 would be my next choice, it will work also but watch the fouling build up.

-Nobade

Boolit Buddy
    I use Blackhorn 209 in my encore and it does a very good job. Very clean, very consistant. But as nobade said expensive.

Boolit Master
    I can only echo what some others have said, real Black Powder or Trail Boss.

Boolit Mold
    I don't weigh every charge but do a "tin soldier inspection" powder in all cases, all cases in the rack no bullets, and take a look. if there are any that look "different", check them. this is the way they inspect razor blades for sharpness. visually. you would be amazed how this works.

Boolit Master
    What about 18.0gr of SR4759??

I see sr4759 listed in the Ruger/contender data at 21-25gr charges.
    What about a milder charge of 18gr 4759?

Alliant steel uses up a lot of case volume. The loads i tested showed the expected velocity for where it sits on the burn rate chart compared to other powders with published loads. Case fill was probably 90% to bottom of boolit, and i am shooting a SAA.

Didnt notice any pressure signs, but i think it is hard to see them in the 12-18kpsi range, maybe higher too

Boolit Master

I load my 45 Colt cartridges (and others) as Sin Nombra stated. Works flawlessly. DON'T GET DISTRACTED!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If you want to shoot a sub powder that works like smokeless, try Blackhorn 209
    http://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-conte...tridgedata.pdf
    IF you plan to use this substitute black powder, yes, it cleans up like smokeless ... but be prepared to thoroughly clean the handgun after each use! Irrespective of what the manufacturer says ... the foul is corrosive!
    http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/general-cleaning/

"Haag's findings were that Blackhorn 209, while basically nitrocellulose contained inclusions of potassium nitrite and sulphur, which may create potassium sulphate, possibly sulphur trioxide, or dioxide combining with water in the air form sulfuric acid. He concluded that there is potassium nitrite and elemental sulphur embedded in what is basically a nitrocellulose product"

And folks - sulfuric acid will corrode and pit your bore ... so, buyer beware. Blackhorn 209's advertising statement - "Noncorrosive" ... Ain't So!

Read the full analysis of the powder done on a spectrometer!
    http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/in...46266#msg46266
    Regards
    John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast