Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Ingredients on hand... good for lube?

Ingredients on hand... good for lube?

I have about 20 lbs of candle wax sheets, several bottles of Lee liquid alox, some synthetic motor oil and mineral oil. I melted them together just to see how it would look, and it looks like it would make "OK" bullet lube!... maybe not "great" lube however. Thoughts on this? Just for plinking ammo... killing cans at the range, nothing more. Now I'm starting to look around and see what other ingredients I may have yet to discover

Banned

let it sit for a couple of day's.
    put some in a window on a folded paper towel.
    you wanna make sure the oils stay inside the wax.

I used perhaps 1lb of wax, 1 bottle of Lee alox, about 1 cup of motor oil, and about 1 cup of mineral oil. (real scientific I know). I was looking at the other recipes and the 6/6/6 recipe has soap flakes in it as well... HRM... time to raid the bathroom This isn't a very scientific process but I wanted to see if I could make use of these materials I have laying around. I figure lube is a good way to get rid of this stuff!

It doesn't seem to be sweating any oils after a few days sitting in the garage. It just so happens my sizer was empty so I figured what the heck and put some through it last night. The sizer has to stay hotter than using commercial lube but at the right heat it seems to fill and stay in the lube grooves well. Its not brittle like the candle wax sheets are, but it discolors off-white when you press your nail into it, so I guess that means it is not as "soft" as the other lubes I have around. I guess the proof will be how clean the barrel is after some range time!

Banned

I bet it flows well under pressure.
    take a rag to the range..

I remember one lube the wife called sweatyasscrack lube, it left an oily feeling on the revolver all around the cylinder gap and smelled like well..
    lets just say some scented candles are better choices than others for thinning down bees-wax.

Boolit Bub
    A friend uses candles purchased for pennies at yard sales and Lee Liquid Alox for his black powder lube. Works for him. I tried it and it was a disaster. Hard fouling and poor accuracy.

I would just use the Alox & candle wax. If it needs thinning, you could add a bit of mineral oil. I like simple.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Old Jim View Post
    A friend uses candles purchased for pennies at yard sales and Lee Liquid Alox for his black powder lube. Works for him. I tried it and it was a disaster. Hard fouling and poor accuracy.
    No surprise, most will tell you petrol based is a nono in BP loads. Try animal or plant fats w/ the wax.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

I too would cut down on the motor oil or eliminate it and use the mineral oil to soften the wax/alox mixture for application to the bullets...

Prolly work in a low-mid velocity .38 or 45 ACP.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Your wax may have other ingredients in it being that it's a candle wax. Just remember your wax is just your carrier. You could just stop putting in the automotive oil as the wax and mineral oil will most likely take care of your lube. If anything, I would add some lanolin to the mix. It works wonders in many lubes and gun barrels. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet