RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Winchester 32 special

Boolit Man

Winchester 32 special

I've got a chance to pick up a Winchester in 32 special can anyone tell me if it's a decent cartridge or not. I know very little about the round but Ican still get ammo for it .
    Thanks a bunch

Boolit Master
    Expect about the same performance as a 30-30. If you hunt deer. 32 Special is a good cartridge for those short distance shots 75 yards or less. But is capable out to (100 to 150 yards w/a scope mounted.)

Boolit Buddy
    Shot one for years. 170 gr is the only factory load I know of and are not common.

It's suppose to be great for cast boolits, because of the 1:16 twist. 30-30 cases can be necked up to 32 Special, so brass is not a problem is you're not picky about head stamps. I'm still waiting for one to drop in my lap. I don't see them as much as 30-30s.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Man
    I use rcbs 170 mold with gator gas checks 2500 lube leverevolution powder. groups better than my 30-30 with jacketed or cast.You can plink with 000 buckshot and pistol powder .

Boolit Grand Master

I've had one for a few years, bought a second one last year. Really like this cartridge. Winchester does a run of brass now and then, I put in a supply last year. My older 94 (circa 1921) likes the Accurate 323-170A, my newer one likes the RD 323-170(180). The RD won't chamber in my old 94. LVR an CFE223 seem to be good for getting the most out of this cartridge, I'm working with LVR now and getting encouraging results.
    Congrats on a fine rifle in an interesting cartridge.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    There has been one in the family since 1903, everyone has used it.
    It is slightly more effective than the .30-30 as you would expect with the larger diameter bullet.
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.

The 32 Special would serve us better than the 30-30 in the lever carbines they are commonly found in had the companies followed through with it. The problem was that it is kind of an orphan with a 321 bore instead of the standard 323 bore found in 8mm's. Kind of like the 270 at 277 compared to the 284 of a 7mm. Many like the 280 Remington and the 32 Special better than their comparable cartridges but for whatever reasons neither is as popular. Personally I think the 32 Special got short changed in its development. It is loaded with a 170 grain bullet like the 30-30 which makes it too similar. Also the 30-30 ballistics are printed out of a 26" barrel and the 32 Special generally out of a 20 inch barrel. The 32 will give the same velocity with its 170 grain bullet out of a carbine as the 30-30 does with a 150 grain bullet. I had a cast bullet load for my 30-30 using a 188 gr cast bullet that I really liked and my old Lyman loading manual had a 190 grain jacketed bullet for the 3030 Savage that they found very good out of the 30-30. Had the 32 Special been offered in other bullet weights it might have been a better offering. It still a good cartridge but I really wonder about its potential.

DP

Boolit Master
    Any superiority in performance over the .30-30 will be fairly small in practical terms. But it is true that it is a better cartridge for the use of cast bullets and/or black powder, due to that slower twist, and certainly not inferior as long as you don't exceed the length of those 170gr. bullets. It wouldn't surprise me to see instability creeping in with a very slight increase in bullet length. Any bullet of appropriate length intended for the .32-40 should be fine, and you could size down cast or even jacketed bullets. With a simple filing jig you could flatten the noses of pointed 8mm. bullets.

I've seen somewhere a testimonial printed by Winchester, from a customer who reported the extreme suitability of the .32 WS for African plains game. It was quite amusing, the way they tried to draw the benefit, and yet hint that it wasn't quite the best thing they did for the purpose.

Ballistics in Scotland, check your PM, please.
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce