Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Quarter Arizona Shoot - Please post if interested in participating

3rd Quarter Arizona Shoot - Please post if interested in participating

Hello the camp.

Well, I have been trying to do quarterly shoots for Arizona
    Cast Booleteer's - last two in west valley of Phoenix.
    Participation has been less than I would have liked.

I'm giving it one more shot for Summer.

We are looking at July, - want to avoid the 4th Independence Day weekend as that's a Zoo up in Payson every year, so I'm going to suggest the 2nd Saturday (July 11).
    (the later the date the more chance of cancellation by monson)

In the previous post we had most votes for Payson/
    Jim Jones Shooting Range.
    http://www.tontorimsportsclub.com/

the 2nd Saturday their pistol bays are in use by IPSC club and
    Silhouette Match is scheduled on the 200 & 300 Yd Range 7AM-3PM
    which leaves us on the public 100 yard range.

We have a kind offer from Dhammer about our eating
    so no restaurant this time - but you might ask him if he
    would be so kind as to cook whatever burger, brauts,
    links, or what have you brought to go with his offering
    for the group and might think about a side dish for your fellow Booleteers

I would like to get a head count well in advance as this
    is something that needs to be coordinated with food.
    Please confirm this is going to be something you will attend
    or not (if not please indicate why not).

If participation is again limited this may turn into an annual
    event or be dropped from my interest.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Count me in. Looks like I will be around. Good Lord willin'.....and the crik don't rise!

Let's just hope the weather holds better than last year!

I would be happy to bring a package of sausages or brats. Or fixin's. Let me know.

banger-j

Boolit Master

And count me in too. I hope we have as much fun shootin' as we did today!
    Well – it was interesting. Some of us have been getting together to jaw, and shoot, and have lunch, and generally enjoy each other’s company. Today was the Spring edition of same. Three of us attended – self, Art, & Jim. I brought my newly finished-, restocked-, and re-scoped 1917 Enfield, and my newly-scoped Nylon 66. And a good time was had by all. Well – maybe not.
    The event was held at the Joe Foss Maricopa County range, south of Buckeye AZ, and in the Buckeye Mountains. See the first picture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150411_082118.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	136625 Nice range, out to 200 yards, and well-managed. I put out a target with the face reversed and duck-tape applied for 6 aiming points, to get things started @ 25 yards. I needed to sight in the new Leupold 3-7 scope I mounted on the Enfield. I had shot the gun before, in it’s Bubba’d condition, ears milled off, military stock cut down, handguards removed, and a cheap gun-show scope mounted by Dave Florness, a local gunsmith (Carole worked with his wife @ Chuck Gannon’s shop). I had mounted a Timney trigger, so that was fine. Shot dang well in this condition, but Jim suggested an improvement was in order, so I had the gun refinished w/Ceracote, and a new custom stock added (beautiful). The old scope was removed, and the new Leupold 3-9 was installed, after some hassle. The original blocks spread the rings so far that they impinged on the bell of the scope, so I went to Second Amendment Sports (Old Jensen’s) and bought a new #48 block that had the channel for the mounting bolt offset, so that the rings would not impinge on the scope objective flare. Worked fine. Just fit. So.

So, when I loaded up @ Joe Foss, things went awry. I used the load I had shot aa one-hole (25-yd) 5-shot group, Lyman 358315 RNGC (200 grs) over 18.5 grs 2400. Shot the first round @ the upper left-hand aiming point – and got no result. Couldn’t find a hole in the target. Tried a couple more, and checked the bore to ensure that the boolit had left the gun – and no joy. Hmmmmm…
    So, I found an aiming point on the 200-yd berm, and engaged it. Couldn’t see where I hit, so I tried again – and observed a hit about 2 ‘ to the left, and down. Hmmm. Fired a few more, and observed a pattern of maybe 3’ diameter sorta centered on the aiming point, and missed some of the shots. I really didn’t think this gun would shoot a PATTERN @ 200 yards. Hmmmmm
    Back to the 25 yard target, with no more positive results. ***!!! At 25 yards, I SHOULD be able to get rounds on the blasted target, whether where I aimed or not – but NO! I railed at the guy shooting next to me, and he said ‘Move it closer!’. Great Zot! So I did.
    Aiming at the center of the target, just below the top edge of the white, I put a shot into the lower-left of the target. At 15 yards. Holding about 2” below center of white. At 15 yards. See next picture. Hmmmm…

Name:	trarget.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	136626
    So I cranked the scope adjustments, a full turn on vertical, half-turn on L-R, and got the next shot. See the picture. I continued to crank the adjustments, and shoot a shot, until I had exhausted the adjustments, still centering the cross-hairs about 2” below the top of the white. Again, see the picture for the progression of the impacts, from lower left slowly up to centered below the top middle duck-tape aiming point.
    Hmmmm. I centered scope on upper right duck-tape square, and shot 5 shots, generating the group shown on the picture. The gun is shooting, but simply not where I am aiming. See the picture, comparing to a nickle. Hmmmm…

Name:	20150411_102911.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	136627
    A light dawns. The new scope mounting block, in front, is thicker than the old one, and so the scope is looking ‘way above where the bbl is pointing! VOILA! All I need to do is buy another block the same as the new front block, remove & replace at the rear, and things will be ROSY! Maybe. There is still the fact that I ran out of adjustment on the windage axis. Hmmmm… We shall see…
    The reason I was getting a pattern @ 200 yds was that, in my estimation, I was actually shooting into the dirt, and what I observed were the ricochets impacting the berm, willy-nilly. Carrumba…
    Then I sighted in the 66 with the old Weaver scope. Took some cranking, but finally put the groups in the right place. The RWS Pistol Match 22 LR gave the best performance, but the CCI Mini-Mag wasn’t bad – see the pictures, groups shot at 25 yards. OK, only one group...

Name:	PistolMatch.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	136628

Oh – and I had loaded some jacketed bullets for the Whelen.. Some old Herter’s 200-gr RNSP over 4895 powder (56-59 grs, from ‘Pet Loads’) I thought I should try these to see if the problem was with my cast boolits, so I loaded up a single 56-grain-charged case, and the gun behaved as expected. It kicked the Hell out of me! Carrumba! I’ll give some positive consideration to breaking down those loads, to use the bullets in something a little more benign – don’t know what – maybe there’s a 35 Remington in my future. Or 357 Maximum. Or eTrade…
    Last edited by Echo; 04-12-2015 at 10:28 AM.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy

In my backyard per say so that's the plan

Boolit Man

Looks like I will back in Show Low on that date, so I see no problem with attending. Only an hour and a half drive, so no big deal. As long as life does not interfere......

Boolit Buddy

Artful,

I very likely will be able to make it down for the meet on July 11. It is my understanding that the Silhouette matches have been canceled.

Have Fun,

JCherry

As of right now, it looks good. it is not looking like additional surgery will be needed.
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Boolit Buddy
    Another get together I'll have to miss, my job has me working midnight to whenever, sometimes noon so it's hard to make plans.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master

I'd love to attend but health problems keep me from committing. Will do my best to attend. Any excuse to get out of Phx during July is welcome.

It's confirmed, the wife and I will be there unless something catastrophic happens.
    Now I need to PC some more boolits, they seem like they are doing well and I shot them all!
    The other 2 things is work on the Arisaka and finish that dang trophy I keep talking about lol

az-jim
    "You believe these people exist to provide you with position, I believe your position exists to provide these people with FREEDOM"

FREEEEEEEEDOMM-William Wallace

I would love to. But at this time I am traveling a lot for work and don't know where I'll be from one day to the next. So I will most likely be unable to attend. If anything changes for the better I will let you know.
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

So besides Dhammer's potatoes, to go with the bring your own meat, what else does anyone think would go for good eats? (I was thinking cole slaw myself)
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Finally....

Ok, remember back in the early days of the AZ gtg's I came up with an idea for a "trophy" to promote more turnout to the gtg's? Well tonight it is finished, a little late but better than never
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ncement-az-gtg

As I stated in my other post, I sponsored this project out of my pocket for fun, and in hopes that as a group we all get to enjoy it a little.

I just ask that this be used as intended and if the gtg's cease for one reason or another that this is returned to me, I will pay flat rate shipping if need be.

This is a floating trophy, not a keeper. It is intended to be passed to the next gtg's winner or MVP or whatever.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-04-14 20.38.58.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	136956

az-jim
    "You believe these people exist to provide you with position, I believe your position exists to provide these people with FREEDOM"

Looks really nice - worth the wait.
    so do we want to nominate MVP - or shoot for it or what?
    je suis charlie

Art, PM sent

Do we have a theme for this one, or is the theme just to get there for now? I have a couple of new toys to bring but you will have to wait to see them

For food, to make sure I have it right....we bring our own grilling fare, and a side of some sort correct?

az-jim

That's my understanding - Dhammer is offering to be chef de jur and will provide his famous potato dish but we should bring our own hotdogs, sausage, patties etc and a side would be good. That's the reason we want an accurate head count - do I need to make cole slaw for 3 (last shoot in Phx) or 20!
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master

I'll bring some meat, and some of Margo's outstanding coleslaw.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    that is a nice looking trophy for sure! details on the build?

Boolit Master
    ha.... maybe i should of just clicked the link

So question has come up about the little things - if you don't want to buy your own burger meat or dog's do you want to just be able to buy 'em while up there,
    Bun's same question - condiments - paper plates, napkins, utensils etc.
    I'm all for having everything up their in advance so we don't have to carry coolers
    etc. but it's up to you guys - how much are you willing to chip in get a good meal
    je suis charlie

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast