Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: roof flashing lead what mix do i go with?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Keith swore by 16-1 and Bpcr shooters swear by 20-1 or 30-1, all are kinda soft and give good expansion without being brittle. 16-1 is a little rich these days with the high cost of tin. Higher speeds will require some hardening pref. with Linotype although it can make bullets brittle.

Just to get started I would go with the above. A good source for tin is lead free solder. I get this at yard sales and have never paid over 50 cents for a roll. My Marlin 30-30 loves the Lyman 311041 and I use 50/50 wheel weights and lead, air cooled and aged 4 weeks. Have taken numerous deer with this boolit and alloy. I do add about 1 1/2 % tin to my alloy. If you need some wheel weights I could help you out until you start shopping. If interested send me a PM.

Larry

Boolit Master
    so rolled sheet lead most of that is either pure or close enough.it should not go over 6bhn.stink pipe seals will go about 7 or 8 bhn.I 2nd go to the lead calculator here in this site.and I 2nd buying some linotype or monotype. both shown on the lead calculator.you can figure all you % of alloys without much problem from the chart on the lead calculator page.this is not rocket science there is a man selling linotype on the swap and sell page right now I just ordered 3 boxes.if you have linotype at 4% tin and 12 % antimony each lb of linotype has .04 lb of tin and .12lb of antimony.every 1% of tin added is .32bnh each 1% of antimony is .92 bhn.

here is something that is throwing a lot of people off when mixing alloy.you need to start with 8.6bhn.this is right from the rotometals site.i am not sure how much tin and antimony it takes to get to the 8.6bhn.but I am sure if is do to the first bit of tin and antimony.i have used this when figuring an ally and it comes out very close then using know alloys.

Just remember there is a lot of infor here on this site read read and then read some more and you will get there.

Boolit Master
    Sell to a muzzle loader guy. I have roof flashing rolls. Those things are heavy. I was going to mix it up make a harder alloy. Decided to keep it around as is. Since you can go up in hardness but getting it soft again isn't so simple. Glad I did. Cuz now I have something to feed my inline.

Found another tire place today that would give me WW's for free. You really need to go talk to the shops and not just call them. Bringing a 5 gallon bucket with you to replace their bucket helps, too. As you know, I'm only 40 miles from you.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Download the FREE alloy calculator spreadsheet on here and ALL you questions (present AND future) will be answered in full.
    Jim, you expect posters to:
    * Have a calculator in their reference material?
    * Take the time if they don't, do a search on the forum Sticky reference pages?
    * Then take the time to do the calculation on their own?
    Jim, it ain't going to happen in either of our life times because it is too easy to make a post and ... Let Everyone Else Do Their Homework For Them... 25 posts later Too many Free Lunch posters on Cast Boolits and other forums also!
    BTW Marlin, here's the free calculator. Put it in our references to do you Cx's for the future ... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oy-calculators
    And since you don't have a clue for the Bhn hardness of the sheet lead, buy a hardness test for the future too ...
    http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casti...rdness-tester/
    Sorry for the slam but there are basics that have to be obtained when when is just starting casting and reloading. If you made a post for a list of the basics or read these articles ... you'd be miles ahead of where you are now ... http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
    http://www.wahsatchdesperadoes.com/A...0SUPPLIERS.htm
    Last edited by John Boy; 04-14-2015 at 06:33 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    What are grams? Don't put them in your melt they'll contaminate it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Jim, you expect posters to:
    * Have a calculator in their reference material?
    * Take the time if they don't, do a search on the forum Sticky reference pages?
    * Then take the time to do the calculation on their own?
    Jim, it ain't going to happen in either of our life times because it is too easy to make a post and ... Let Everyone Else Do Their Homework For Them... 25 posts later Too many Free Lunch posters on Cast Boolits and other forums also!
    BTW Marlin, here's the free calculator. Put it in our references to do you Cx's for the future ... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oy-calculators
    And since you don't have a clue for the Bhn hardness of the sheet lead, buy a hardness test for the future too ...
    http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casti...rdness-tester/
    Sorry for the slam but there are basics that have to be obtained when when is just starting casting and reloading. If you made a post for a list of the basics or read these articles ... you'd be miles ahead of where you are now ... http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
    http://www.wahsatchdesperadoes.com/A...0SUPPLIERS.htm

Sorry to ruffle folks feathers,
    1-I tried to download, and I'm on a mac, and it doesn't do excel,,

2- I've been reading through this site, and doing searches, i read so many opinions on stuff i get even MORE confused, (yes I'm a little slow)

3-Im disabled and only have limited funds so i have to wait until next moth to buy the casting book,

4-people learn different ways, I asked how much of what to mix in my 10 pounds of lead, from rotometals so i could buy it next month,
    and I've been told to use wheelweights
    well i don't get out much,

5-sorry I'm one of those FREE LUNCH POSTERS

ILL KEEP READING AND SEARCHING,
    AND KEEP MY STUPID QUESTIONS TO MYSELF,
    UNTILL IVE BECOME EDUCATED
    OF COURSE NONE OF YOU STARTED CASTING AS A GREENHORN OR GOT CONFUSED WITH SO VERY VERY DIFFRENT WAYS TO DO ONE THING,

AGAIN sorry I've put my nose where it doesn't belong

John

Boolit Mold
    Old teacher of mine said the only dumb question is the one not asked. I'm an old time caster who limped along hit and miss until I found this wonderful site where, almost 100% of the guys are happy you, too, are here and interested in their art/science. Hang around, ask questions, and enjoy being with this kind of people. They'll get you there.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Marlin, you send me your address, and I'll send you 10 lbs of COWW with 2% Tin, AND a Lyman cast book! Read post # 5, this will get you started! (My daddy would kick my behind, even from heaven, if I didn't help you).this will get you going in your casting career, but be warned this is a VERY addicting hobby! Lots of good people here. Plus if you're on a limited budget,(been there),what better way to enjoy saving money than shooting for practically zero cost? Thanks and enjoy this site! And if you use a backstop for target shooting, you are the KING of recycling! Sorry, I digress, you send the address and I'll fix you up!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    Marlin, you send me your address, and I'll send you 10 lbs of COWW with 2% Tin, AND a Lyman cast book! Read post # 5, this will get you started! (My daddy would kick my behind, even from heaven, if I didn't help you).this will get you going in your casting career, but be warned this is a VERY addicting hobby! Lots of good people here. Plus if you're on a limited budget,(been there),what better way to enjoy saving money than shooting for practically zero cost? Thanks and enjoy this site! And if you use a backstop for target shooting, you are the KING of recycling! Sorry, I digress, you send the address and I'll fix you up!
    sent you a message,
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR OFFER,
    I insist i repay you after the 3rd of next month so include a fair selling price for what you send,

again
    thank you

Boolit Buddy
    Yes i have a backstop, i was out scrounging for 22 bullets yesterday, and the few factory rounds of my 30-30 I've shot,

the neighbors don't mind the 22 but the 30-30 out of hunting season is annoying to some of the city folk who have moved out here,

Hence me wanting to cast and fire some mouse-fart rounds,
    at paper, and the garden thieves also (ok NOT THE DEER) and I've got a darn skunk i need to head-tap before my dog gets stupid and ends up living outside for a month

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 49FMarlin View Post
    Sorry to ruffle folks feathers,
    1-I tried to download, and I'm on a mac, and it doesn't do excel,,

2- I've been reading through this site, and doing searches, i read so many opinions on stuff i get even MORE confused, (yes I'm a little slow)

3-Im disabled and only have limited funds so i have to wait until next moth to buy the casting book,

4-people learn different ways, I asked how much of what to mix in my 10 pounds of lead, from rotometals so i could buy it next month,
    and I've been told to use wheelweights
    well i don't get out much,

5-sorry I'm one of those FREE LUNCH POSTERS

ILL KEEP READING AND SEARCHING,
    AND KEEP MY STUPID QUESTIONS TO MYSELF,
    UNTILL IVE BECOME EDUCATED
    OF COURSE NONE OF YOU STARTED CASTING AS A GREENHORN OR GOT CONFUSED WITH SO VERY VERY DIFFRENT WAYS TO DO ONE THING,

AGAIN sorry I've put my nose where it doesn't belong

John

49FMarlin I skip right past the those that say read the stickies unless they provide a link then I'll head that way a read what they suggested. You have seen most of the nay sayers on this site as 99% of the people here a wonderful folk ready to help if they have the answers.

Disabled and tight money yup me too. just sick around and you will be surprised what you can learn. The hardest part is learning the language of casting.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Buddy
    Ive slugged my bore,
    I've been reading on how to do a "Pound-cast" all morning"
    as ill be doing that next, glad i have the pure lead,,lol,,,

I have brass cases (winchester) I've been using to reload with store-bought bullets, 250-count
    and 20 of Hornady's

ill be using the winchester to do the pounding,

and yes its a new language to learn, but its all FUN trying to understand it all,

Ive been in touch with another from here who is local, and will meet up soon to pick his brain,
    and another here has been helping me along through messaging,
    and I'm kinda getting a picture of whats going on,

thank you for putting up with me
    john

Boolit Master

Marlin, your package is on its way today!! 10 lbs of COWW with 2% tin! and ten pounds of Lyman #2, (as close as I can make it) two muffins of tin for future castling sessions and one Lyman cast bullet handbook !! As far as payment, NONE!! Merry Christmas a few days early!!! Wheel weights was free, tin came from Babbitt metal, also free, so free to you. Enjoy it. Just post up some photos when done!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    THANK YOU,
    and I owe you,
    I imagine theres a return address so someday there will be something coming back for the kindness,

maybe when I'm canning this fall outa the garden,
    ill can up a few loppstaas and surprise you,
    you ever eat craw-dads? there just a whole lot bigger up here,and hide just off the coast,

Wow always amazes me how folks are just willing to help other people out on this site.

There are so many official, unofficial, and just plain sound crazy but they work recipes for casting you have to sort of pick one and go. If it seems to give poor results, describe the issue and someone (or a whole bunch) will make suggestions on what to try next or how to tweak that mix or process to get rid of the issue.

Me I would go with getting some Linotype (real stuff not the softer spacers) here is why. Mixed 50/50 with your soft lead it gives you hardball (2/6/92) which is a classic bullet alloy at 16 BHN, you will find it mentioned in that Lyman manual Budzilla 19 sent. If you want something softer you can cut it 1 part Linotype to 3 parts plain and have COWW alloy with 1% tin (1/3/96). Go 1:5 mix and you end up with fairly soft at 10.6 BHN having .6% tin and 2% antimony. You can add a really small touch of tin if it gives you trouble casting.

Point is with linotype and plain you have good ratios of Sn/Sb with at least enough tin to make casting easier, wide range of hardness. Oh and it is repeatable since it relies on identifiable alloys (plain & linotype) and adjustable by small amounts if you want to tweak it a little bit one way or the other. Just add an extra couple of pounds of one or the other ingredients to harden or soften a little.

WW's can take the place of Linotype at different ratios with you adding in the tin manually. Only reason WW's are the "go to" alloy is because it is about the right alloy for many bullets and at one time was available everywhere for a cost of nothing or dirt cheap. It became what folks used. With lead WW's becoming less common people are going to come up with new recipes based on what lead is commonly available. Some day people getting into this will be getting told about berm mining and what to buy from which supplier, or group buys of pallet loads or... who knows but they won't be getting told go get some WW's

Open Office can run that spread sheet for calculation of alloys and I believe has a free Mac version.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    Marlin, your package is on its way today!! 10 lbs of COWW with 2% tin! and ten pounds of Lyman #2, (as close as I can make it) two muffins of tin for future castling sessions and one Lyman cast bullet handbook !! As far as payment, NONE!! Merry Christmas a few days early!!! Wheel weights was free, tin came from Babbitt metal, also free, so free to you. Enjoy it. Just post up some photos when done!
    they showed up today,
    THANK YOU poor post woman was all hunched over delivering them, when i heard the package hit the deck i knew what it was, lmao

reading your post i figured out what was what, all this new language to learn,
    now i can do some reading, and later on some casting,

again
    THANK YOU
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7946.JPG  

Boolit Master

Glad it made it ok !

Marlin,

No "ruffled feathers"... Disabled and broke here as well... All good advice above...

If you need some working $$ to get alloy you need (lino, etc.), I was getting ready to post a "WTB" looking for some pure lead. If you have more sheet lead than you need, please PM me and I would be willing to buy some of your pure sheet lead. Or trade for COWW ingots?

Best regards,
    Bob
    Last edited by 40-82 hiker; 04-19-2015 at 11:33 PM.

Boolit Master

Marlin, "seek and ye shall find" ! You know,there are some wonderful people here who will get you what you, and them, need! Bob, that was good of you to offer to help , I hope it works out for you guys so all of ya can start casting and shooting soon! Have fun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast