MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman 310 set for 38 S&W

Boolit Mold

Lyman 310 set for 38 S&W

I am brand spanking new at this. I have a .38 S&W revolver that I'd like to shoot with black powder rounds. My question is, does Lyman make 38 S&W attachments(dies?) to go with the 310 tong tool? I can't seem to find them anywhere I look (but I am not entirely sure what I'm looking at). I'd prefer the 310 set set over the old (and expensive) dedicated Ideal tool tongs, as I'd rather not risk damaging an antique.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jennison

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Goggle "310 Shop" - he may be able to help you out. As far as using the old Ideal "dedicated" tongs - I doubt that you could do any damage to them. I have several in other caliber and they work great. They were made to last a "lifetime" . . and then some!

Also - keep you eyes out on flea bay . . . once in a while they pop up.

Others will chime in with suggestions I'm sure . . . good luck on your quest! The 310s are a nice way to re-load . . . but then I'm an "addict" so probably prejudiced!

Boolit Grand Master
    When I got my S&W Terrier in that caliber, I worked e-Bay and the want ads here for a while and put together a set that I can use with my 310 tool and my Tru-Line Jr (using a FL sizing die.) It didn't take long nor did it cost a whole lot of money... but I'm pretty familiar with the ins and outs of 310-ness. Fortunately, they use the same priming chamber as the 38 Spl and the 38 Special adaptor ring (for the handles) is also used for both. Actually, if you find a 38 S&W (or code #34) muzzle resizer and bullet seating die, the rest of the functions can be done with a much more readily available 38 Special die set. Drop me a PM if you need any help looking for what you need.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Lyman did indeed make a 310 tool shell adapter and dies for the 38 S&W and finding a set is a bad news and good news proposition.

First, the bad news: They are not easy to find. Haunt Ebay and Gunbroker and a set will show up sooner or later.

Now, the good news: Not many people want them, so the prices are not inflated when a set does show up.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.