RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Powder 44-40 WCF

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    This is the Black Powder Bible on the .44-40 and tells you EVERYTHING that you need to know:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Powder-Journey
    Amen brother.
    I "met" John online at the CAS forum. With the info there and some guidance from John my Uberti 1873 is now my favorite rifle. As a matter of fact it will never see smokeless powder again. A joy to shoot and easy to clean. So far I have shot up to 150 rounds of black powder ammo in a match without cleaning, or needing to. I will not re-explain as you can read about it in the links above and below. I will add that I bought a 44wcf hand gun as a companion. Talk about a fire breathing dragon ! Accurate, powerful and fun fun fun.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...c,40683.0.html

Boolit Master

I took my '73 carbine to the range today. I'd loaded some Lyman 427098s over 34gr of Old Eynsford 2F. I'd say the old girl still has it in her!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 73 at 50.jpg  

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Bravo Zulu! Splendid indeed.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Bravo Zulu! Splendid indeed.
    Not many folks know what that means. But being a retired Navy Chief, I do. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Not many folks know what that means. But being a retired Navy Chief, I do. Thanks.
    Surface Line, Mighty Fine! Splice the main brace and have a tot with me.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Indeed, the sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the empire - time for a mug of grog!

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Indeed, the sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the empire - time for a mug of grog!
    I trust you are mature enough to take your rum tot neat. Grog was only used to enforce intake of the lime ration to prevent scruvy on long voyages among enlisted ratings not having attained the age of thirty years. Officer ranks and senior enlisted personnel can be entrusted with demon rum. Some traditions from the age of wooden ships and iron men are worthwhile to preserve. A willing enemy and sea room to ya....
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I trust you are mature enough to take your rum tot neat...
    Indeed sir, I've been retired for over 17 years!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The original posting by Outpost75 left out my bullet that I worked on with John when he first started making the molds. My design was an improvement on the original BP bullet made by Lyman for the 44wcf cartridge.
    The original bullet was the Lyman 42798 which later became the 427098. It worked fine with the early loadings as the BP was much better refined and left little residue. Once this was changed, several shooters started having troubles, including myself. The first thing that Lyman did was to go from the square lube grooves and started with a more rounded edge groove which held much less lube than the original style did. In my testing, it was as much as half in some cases.
    I contacted Tom at Accurate on a Monday and had my Mold on Friday of that same week, times have changed. I asked Blammer to draw my bullet and then we made the changes that ended up being the 43-210B 44wcf bullet. Shooting from my Uberti 18 1/2 inch barrel model 73 and my Uberti revolvers, this bullet is not only accurate out to 300 yards (testing by John Kort aka w30wcf aka w44wcf) in his guns. I've never had one inch of lead fouling.
    John uses SPG lube and I use NASA lube. He had fouling with his Marlin 24inch barrel with my bullet and the SPG that occurred in the very last 2 inches of barrel. This is the reason John went on to design the 43-215C.
    Used with my lube, the 43-210B is a very good design even after 142 years of service and I feel should be included in the called for bullets. I've been a 44wcf fan since my friend allowed me to shoot his 73 way back in the middle 70's. Take Care David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    The original posting by Outpost75 left out my bullet that I worked on with John when he first started making the molds. My design was an improvement on the original BP bullet made by Lyman for the 44wcf cartridge.
    The original bullet was the Lyman 42798 which later became the 427098. It worked fine with the early loadings as the BP was much better refined and left little residue. Once this was changed, several shooters started having troubles, including myself. The first thing that Lyman did was to go from the square lube grooves and started with a more rounded edge groove which held much less lube than the original style did. In my testing, it was as much as half in some cases.
    I contacted Tom at Accurate on a Monday and had my Mold on Friday of that same week, times have changed. I asked Blammer to draw my bullet and then we made the changes that ended up being the 43-210B 44wcf bullet. Shooting from my Uberti 18 1/2 inch barrel model 73 and my Uberti revolvers, this bullet is not only accurate out to 300 yards (testing by John Kort aka w30wcf aka w44wcf) in his guns. I've never had one inch of lead fouling.
    John uses SPG lube and I use NASA lube. He had fouling with his Marlin 24inch barrel with my bullet and the SPG that occurred in the very last 2 inches of barrel. This is the reason John went on to design the 43-215C.
    Used with my lube, the 43-210B is a very good design even after 142 years of service and I feel should be included in the called for bullets. I've been a 44wcf fan since my friend allowed me to shoot his 73 way back in the middle 70's. Take Care David
    Thanks for the additional history and clarification.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

I have just followed the late Johns' information and have loaded 20 compressed 40 grain FFFg loads for my Henry using the same original mould as pictured further to the beginning of this thread. Great information, will be interested to see how it goes as traditionally I have only ever loaded about 31 grains of FFFg in a 44/40 case as that was all I was told you could fit as the modern cases do not have the balloon head like the originals did supposedly giving greater capacity. Will be interesting to see how they go, lube used is the same as I use in the Pat 53 Enfield, 5parts beeswax to 1 part unsalted lard by volume. I am using pure lead at the moment, what alloy should it be please?
    Keep yor hoss well shod an' yo powda dry !

I followed the information given in John's great post.Having been a long time BPCR shooter with many different rifles and applied what I have learned with their recommendations on bullet styles and what shot best at the greatest distance resonable for the cartridge. I bought one of the fancy Winchester 'Deluxe' 1873's with a shotgun butt,it shoots really good, Then I bought another Win. 1873 with 24" tapered octogon barrel. This one shoots lights out to 200M silhouette ram 10 for 10 on a nice day. It comes down to who's bullet mould will you use and what powder,Wads are absolutely uneccesary 16:1 alloy and good lube like SPG zero leading using 215 gr and 230 gr mould from Tom at Accurate moulds. I have only used B/P in both rifles and see no need to play with smokeless. 40 grs. of O.E. and 230 gr. bullet is as much as I think the action will take and have a reasonable long life, it pushes that bullet 1600 fps and fair felt recoil and superb accuracy. I have had zero issues compressing 35-40 grs. of O.E. 1.5 or 2F zero leading in either rifle, I have loaded the magazine and did a "lever action mag dump" I had some hard fouling that cleaned up with a few wet patches of napa oil and water. Don't hesitate with real B/P it's better now than ever, the rifles, brass,primers and moulds are better now than ever before. 38 grs. O.E. 215 gr. bullet. R/P brass I have to size the bullets to.429"/ Win. brass .430 bullets or as cast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0002.jpg   IMG_0034.jpg  
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 07-18-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    Randy, that's an very impressive target, no matter what distance you shot it at.

You have me thinking of shooting bp for my .38-40 again in the silhouette nationals next year. This seems like it would be a lot of compression to load 40 grns. Do you have any trouble with swelling the brass cases - they are pretty thin.

Thanks Randy for the information, ver nice group, what range? I have both a Uberti Henry, brass framed and a '73 carbine. Both normally shoot ver well.

Well Gentlemen, banged off 21 rounds out of my Uberti Henry rifle in 50 yard off hand comp, about a 4 inch group, in poor light and poi equalled poi, which was a fine sight on the bottom of the black, group slightly to the right, no fouling, all rounds fed nicely. Will be using 40 grain compressed loads from now on. !! Best pleased all round. Thank you gentlemen.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    Randy, that's an very impressive target, no matter what distance you shot it at.

You have me thinking of shooting bp for my .38-40 again in the silhouette nationals next year. This seems like it would be a lot of compression to load 40 grns. Do you have any trouble with swelling the brass cases - they are pretty thin.
    I did when loading Remington cases. Dropped back to 37gr and no swelling. Maybe no swelling with Starline?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I have a pile of Starline, Winchester brass and a couple hundred RP pieces of 44-40 brass and have yet to try the Starline. Win. Brass is the ‘roomiest’ brass and have never swelled a case with a compression die made for the purpose. RP is thicker, still with zero bulging.I shot the target posted @100 yds. I am using all Montana Vintage Arms sights, front and rear,superior sights in all respects for target or hunting sights for a lever rifle or any B/P cartridge rifle,not cheap but neither were the rifles.

Boolit Master
    MVA sites are simply the best. It is still a mystery to me that so many lever gunners do not understand that .

Vendor Sponsor

100% agree that good sights are sooo repeatable and user friendly.

I have had it with late make Lyman and Marbles sights on lever rifles. But they look right compared to a receiver sight.
    My shooting pard Woody has been using MVA's on his levers for about 15 years to shoot the silhouette matches.
    I mostly limp along with the junk Lyman tang sights. A good receiver sight IS good for hunting as it is trim and repeatable but lacks fine adjustment easily.
    One of the issues with this larger sight is opening the actions and clearing the sights. You may have to fold back the tang each time you cycle the action.

BUT Steve Baldwin provided me a Winchester sight base to install my Baldwin soul sights on the Winchester 1886 (38-56) I hope to be shooting in the future. MVA, Baldwin.... it is hard to say one is better but I am stuck on Baldwin sights because they turn the correct way for me, just like Olympic sights and I really need to have every sight I use turning the same direction or I will go left when I want to go right. I hate it when I do that!

So I will be joining the ranks of riflemen with better sights on lever rifles. Or at least a few rifles I shoot steel with.
    Chill Wills

Nothing wrong with Baldwin or Kelley all make good sights .What they lack is selection compared to MVA. Well made vernier or soule sights that fit are worth their weight in gold and usually in the winners circle ⭕️.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast