Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Powder 44-40 WCF

Banned

Black Powder 44-40 WCF

How do you guys like BP in a 44-40 WCF? What bullets and powder do you like? How about primers? Does standard LP primers work fine, or are magnum primers better?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    This is the Black Powder Bible on the .44-40 and tells you EVERYTHING that you need to know:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Powder-Journey
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Outpost 75, John and I are very good friends and his information is rock solid as he has put much time with the cartridge as I have also. If you contact him I think he will tell you that my bullet, the 43-210B will work very well when used with the NASA lube with Carnauba Flakes added. Later David AKA Fairshake
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

The Accurate bullets of traditional form having correct lubricant capacity for black powder are the following:

Attachment 136526Attachment 136527Attachment 136528Attachment 136674Attachment 136530
    Last edited by Outpost75; 04-12-2015 at 11:52 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

In Remembrance
    That is a great link for a bunch of information. I recently loaded up a bunch of black powder 44-40 cartridges using an old Win. 44 WCF mold and an Ideal tong tool, just to get a flavor of what the "old timers" did. I pan lubed the boolits.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

In Remembrance
    Here are some ready to go:
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I use 3F compressed 1/16 th under a cereal box wad plus usually a 224+ grain (my range lead) soft cast from a Saeco 443 mold. Lube is 55% bees wax and 45% olive oil. Tastes good on toast also. This mold drops my range lead at .430+ which works nicely in every Winchester 92 44 WCF I have tried it in down here. I think that is one rifle and 4 carbines.
    I use a scoop with 3F. I think the charge weights about 34 grains. Been years since I weighed my scoop charge.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Black Powder 100%

Outpost 75 Not quite sure what your posting was representing, if it was to reply to my statement, for what purpose? Take care David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Black Powder 100%

Mike, If you are using the Lee 2.2 measure with Goex 3F , I'm getting 33.2 grains with a level scoop of Goex 3F from the Moosic,Pa. plant. It was most likely a made scoop. I see where I overlooked your part about home made.
    Please excuse my old eyes. Take Care David
    Last edited by cajun shooter; 04-12-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    Outpost 75 Not quite sure what your posting was representing, if it was to reply to my statement, for what purpose? Take care David
    Simply to illustrate the black powder line of Accurate's bullets for the .44-40 for those who may be unfamiliar.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    Thanks for the info guys. It looks like this will be a fun project.

Boolit Mold
    44-40 is made for black powder. I use both Pinnacle sub (which is no longer available from PowderInc) and Goex 3f. For either I use the Lee 2.9 scoop of powder with .3 scoop of grits (or cream of wheat, coffee, et al) on top. Covered by a 200 grain piece of lead poured from a Lee mould it compresses about 1/16". I have used both regular and magnum primer with no discernible difference since I don't own a chrono. Pinnacle get alox and Goex is lubed with 50/50 beeswax/crisco or lard with a drizzle of olive oil or canola oil.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh my yes: the 44-40 in BP! Can't imagine having any fun with it in smokeless. You didn't say whether you intend it for rifle or pistol, or both (our ancestors found it ideal both ways) but I shoot it in a single-action Colt. After trying virtually everything for about a year, I finally settled on the 200grn RNFP Saeco bullet with SPG or DGL lube over 38 grns Swiss FFFG. Far more accurate than my eyes, and powerful enough to dispatch a wounded 200lb feral pig with one head shot. I found Swiss to be clearly the cleanest and most consistent powder available; and the triple-F is soooooo clean.

You're gonna love it!

Banned
    It's going to be mainly for a 4.75" SAA. I'd love to try some Swiss powder. I'd have to order it though. Right now, I don't shoot enough BP to justify ordering enough to justify the shipping costs. Hopefully that will change.

Boolit Mold
    Don't know where in Texas you are but if you're close to Bastrop give a visit to Dan's Gun Shop just north of town. He keeps Goex in stock for $19/lb. Cheaper than paying freight and hazmat.

Banned
    I'm in the NE corner, so that's a bit of a drive for me.

Thanks for the tip though. If I'm ever in the area, I'll stop by.

texaswoodworker,

10ring.com in North Houston generally has Swiss FFFG in stock , if you ever come this far south. I would call first though, as powder stocks have been fluctuating a bit lately.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
    I'm in the NE corner,
    Would that be close to Texarkana ... or more like Pampa?
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Quote Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
    How do you guys like BP in a 44-40 WCF? What bullets and powder do you like? How about primers? Does standard LP primers work fine, or are magnum primers better?
    I really like BP in my .44-40/.44WCF cartridges. I usually use the MAV Dutchman 200 grain big lube boolit with my home made lube. I stick with GOEX 2Fg and light them off with a large Magnum Pistol Primer. I use them because When I can't get GOEX I use Pyrodex P and it seems to like the hotter primers.

I also use home cast RCBS 44-200-CM 44 which work quite well out of my 1873 Uberti short rifle.

Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Buddy
    Thats my last Goal with Black in the 44 Win. on 50 m Freehand
    The Black Bucket measured around 2 inch to 1,2 / 1,7 inch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	016_zpsb5cac1ad.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	138238
    15 Shoots without any cleaning between shoots

Rifle Hege Uberti 24'# Winchester 73
    Load 28 grs Wano Sporting Powder
    Milkcarton Wad
    RCBS 44 200 grs Bullet
    Emmerts Lube
    would like to say that all in the white are depending on me !

Klaus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast