RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 1949F Marlin 30-30 slugged my barrel now what,,OK I'm a NEWBEE

Boolit Buddy

1949F Marlin 30-30 slugged my barrel now what,,OK I'm a NEWBEE

so ive slugged my barrel,
    I get .309 I've done it twice, (once with a 40cal BP ball and once with a poured lead slug)

sorry to be a complete new bee and asking stupid questions
    but

what mold should i buy?
    I've been looking at the ones at the 20.00 something molds at midway
    I'm looking for a mousefart/subsonic mold and a deer hunting mold,

I've got tons to learn,

I've bought a lee pro-20 melting pot for 20.00
    and have 7pds of lead flashing that was given to me,
    i have to buy the book i know,

but was wondering what mold you all might suggest me buying

thank you very much for your patience and help

john
    casting wannabeee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7917.jpg  

First off welcome to the board!
    if you are looking for a starter mold look at the Lee molds. Your right, $20 give or take. Look at the 309-170RF. It will work well in your 30-30. I size mine to .311"
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

The 30-30 win is super to start casting for! I suggest the Lee 309-170F. It's a great plinker with 7.0gr Unique.

Lead flashing is pure lead (Pb). You'll need some clip-on wheel weights (COWW), printing spacer bars, linotype or other metal to mix with your Pb. The antimony (Sb) and tin (Sn) in these metals will harden your boolits for 30-30 velocities.
    Last edited by Yodogsandman; 04-10-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    Where are you located? Might be an experienced caster nearby, and that would save you a lot of grief.. Lead flashing is nearly pure lead normally, and it is a bit too soft for most uses. There are numerous ways to add to it and make it usable in your application. The 30-30 is a great cast boolit round. Have fun!

Boolit Bub

1949F Marlin 30-30 slugged my barrel now what,,OK I'm a NEWBEE

Greetings! I use the Lee .309 170 gr. that comes out of my mold at a little over .311. I size it to .310 or .311. I also cast the Lee 180 Enfield sized to .311. It works well but is pointed, so I load one in the tube and one in the chamber.

Wiser casters than me say the microgroovy bore likes a bullet bigger than .309. I've found the chamber tight on the 180 grain unless I seat it deep.

Boolit Grand Master
    blixen01, his 1949 vintage Marlin does not have a microgroove barrel, Marlin didn't start that stuff until the mid to late fifties.

The Lee TL314-90 SWC would be a good one for your light plinking mold. I would also get a .311" diameter Lee sizing die.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    Where are you located? Might be an experienced caster nearby, and that would save you a lot of grief.. Lead flashing is nearly pure lead normally, and it is a bit too soft for most uses. There are numerous ways to add to it and make it usable in your application. The 30-30 is a great cast boolit round. Have fun!
    im in southern maine
    and would be appreciative to meet anybody around here to teach me

and yes i need to figure out what to get now to mix with my lead I've called around and lead WW are a non item here, they've outlawed them

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    blixen01, his 1949 vintage Marlin does not have a microgroove barrel, Marlin didn't start that stuff until the mid to late fifties.

The Lee TL314-90 SWC would be a good one for your light plinking mold. I would also get a .311" diameter Lee sizing die.

Robert
    thank you

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    The 30-30 win is super to start casting for! I suggest the Lee 309-170F. It's a great plinker with 7.0gr Unique.

Lead flashing is pure lead (Pb). You'll need some clip-on wheel weights (COWW), printing spacer bars, linotype or other metal to mix with your Pb. The antimony (Sb) and tin (Sn) in these metals will harden your boolits for 30-30 velocities.
    thank you
    where in new hampshire ? I'm close to Buxton Me.

PM sent

311041, Lee170 or RD version, if it will fit. You might want to try the 310 sizer, you can open it up to 311 if needed. Unique, 2400, w231 or 4895, leverE. The light plinker would be cheap & fun but accuracy may be 50 yds. Someone here is/was selling large IsoCore for ~$1/lb, works fine. Otherwise it's $2+/lb from Rotometals. 7# won't last long. I haven't tried it but Ben came up with LLA & johnson's liquid floor wax lube that is supposed to be good. As they say, enjoy.
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    Forget buying a book on casting boolets google it but in bullet casting video's you can spend hours watching and learning how to cast.

Boolit Buddy
    Def. biuy Lyman's 4th edition. I love YouTube and practically live here on the forum in the evenings, but there is no way I would go without published and vetted resources.

Also check out the articles here, including "From ingot to target. "http://www.lasc.us/articlesfryxell.htm

Welcome to the addiction and kiss your free time good-by!

Boolit Master
    I'd get a Lee 113gr "Soup Can" to start with for your plinking loads.

Then make an impact cast of the throat area and get a proper fitting bullet with a wide flat nose for hunting. Accurate Molds will cut one to exactly fit your rifle.

Ditto on getting the smaller sizer. It's easy to hone larger.

Boolit Grand Master

Get Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook ! Tons of important information about all aspects of casting.
    Alloy, sizing , lubricants, load data and much , much , more. The 4th Edition is in print and the 3rd Edition has a lot of information in it . The 3rd Edition is still my first go to book. The 4th Edition is my cross reference.
    Be careful with videos, I've seen some on U-Tube that were made by idiots and should be avoided. Always load with PUBLISHED DATA....always cross check any data received on the net with data in a reloading manual. Always cross reference and double check. No such thing as too careful in this hobby!
    Load safe,
    Gary