Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: gun blew up

Boolit Bub
    I'm glad you still have a hand. Take very good care of that so that it does not get infected. Being an extremity does not help matters.

Boolit Bub
    IMHO a half full case of 2400 in a levergun, and after fired a few rounds, can/will compact the powder behind the base of the bullet. With approx 1/2" or more free air space in front of the primer, the chance of a huge pressure surge ( as with chamber ringing the other way round) is very probable. In the normal course of chamber ringing, have a least 1/4" of steel all around the front of the chamber, but at rear (lever guns have very thin chamber walls), there is way too little steel to hold these extremes of pressure!

Boolit Buddy

Prayers for a speedy recovery. Thanks for the safety reminder!!! A timely reminder, hope everybody that see's this can reinforce safe loading practices.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for sharing, heal up well. This, another reminder, to slow down, and watch everything that is happening in the loading process, know matter how long you have been doing it.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for sharing this, a real eye opening experience! Glad you were no hurt more seriously and hoping for a speedy recovery. If you find out exactly what went wrong, please let us know. Get Well!

Boolit Buddy
    I tried developing a load with 2400 in a 44mag using the Keith 250 grn SWC. I checked pressure signs measuring the case expansion after each shot. Loads that were minimal according to the manuals for that weight bullet were Very excessive so I stopped, so you can never tell how a powder will react in your specific gun/load combination.

I don't use a progressive but do check each case visibly after charging 50 or so for double charges so being anal about this sort of thing has saved me the same experience.

I hope you heal quickly and am sorry for your experience.

Wishing the best for a speedy recovery...hope you can just set things aside until you are healed and then get into the "forensics" of the problem..I'd sure break down any remaining rounds. Big cases and powders that are not "case fillers" scare this old man..I'm a "dipper and trickler" and weigh each load and have been lucky to date...but not cocky....get well!!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by opos View Post
    .I'd sure break down any remaining rounds.
    Agreed....The answer may be sitting in one of the unfired cases. Happy the OP still has ALL his fingers.

Boolit Master
    OK this week I loaded some 223 for my AR and it was the first time in years I let the 550b go and I did not weight each charge, I was usign 8208 and it does a great job of filling a case , a double is obvious as it will spill powder everywhere. However I had weighed each charge prior to that session. I will still do so.
    Also this makes me not want to try gallery loads.
    I have about 1000 target ACP loads I made when I first started this and this makes we want to go pull them all!

I am glad you will be ok. Hopefully the gun is faulty and you get a new one.
    The flesh always heals faster than the psyche.
    Finally, NEVER say NEVER. Bites me everytime.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats some scary stuff. When you pull the rounds make sure to report on what you find as blowing up a marlin is quite a feat

We often read about the dangers of reloading, be careful, double check etc but a picture is worth a thousand words and thanks for posting this. Glad your ok
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I too await discovery of the actual cause (if that is even possible). Thanks for sharing!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

This is why I like H4895 and Varget for 45/70 loads, a full case with 400 gr bullets and zero chance for an overload. A bit dirty in both instances but really good accuracy and all the recoil I need or want!

HOLY MOLY, lots a posts I gotta go back and read. Aint been here since the first page.
    Just got back from town and everything looks really good. Healing up very nice they said.

I was on pain killers before when I checked the 52gr. I looked at the scale last night and it was on 62gr. I reajusted and checked and with 52gr I actually would be able to seat a bullet. Probly never will know what happened, just glad it wasnt worse.
    I might call John Linebaugh (he lives close by) and see if he will take a look at the rifle. I definatly want to keep it to mount on the wall.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I'm going back to read them when the wife adds the new pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails `qa.jpg  
    Last edited by reloader28; 04-11-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Forgot to add, while we were in town my brother went and gathered up all the parts scattered around.
    Both the round in the barrel AND the last round in the tube went off. Double whammy.

BTW, I reload rifles on a single stage press and trickle in every powder load.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gun.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	136560
    Last edited by reloader28; 04-11-2015 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gun.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	136560
    Will the gun recover? Jack up the stock and roll a new action, barrel, and internal parts in there and she's as good as new...
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

In Remembrance
    At least the marlin performed as designed, as far as blowing away from your vitals.
    I think if I was going to make a wall hanger out of it, it would be hanging over the reloading bench.

Glad you will heal! This kind of photo and story are good for all of us to check and recheck our loading process. Please let us know if you learn more about the cause.
    PJ
    NRA Benefactor Member

I think you should start a thread labeled "every new cast Boolit member must read this" and post the pics of what can happen if you aren't careful!

I doubt the the gun was at fault. It could have been a whole lot worse. Your hide will heal, it will take a lot longer for your pride to heal. Glad your healing up.

Boolit Master

Hope you heal fast and find out "fer sure" what caused it. I'm staying with the Dillons but for sure only with powders that can't be double charged w/o spilling over. That's scary !

Just read everything posted. Thanks for taking it easy on me. Was expecting more abuse.

I reload rifles on an RCBS single stage and trickle powder on a beam scale. It could have been a double charge, I dont know and will never know. The thing is, is that I only loaded those 4 rounds for testing. 2 were in the target, 2 exploded in the gun at the same time. It was several days ago and I dont remember if it was daytime or latenight when I loaded them. I thought I've always checked each case before seating a bullet, maybe not.

It could be a double charge or I wonder about something like what Gemsbok was talking about, packing into a ball behind the boolit. I never thought of that, but I guess its a possibility.

The boolit was NOE 405 RF gas check. Both previous shots were on target so no blocked barrel.

Anyway, today is the wifes birthday and we're making ribs so I better go. She says that me still here is enough present for her. I know I'm very lucky to be only a little sore and cut up and have a story. Could be much worse. Someone was watching out for me. I do need new safety glasses (a week old) as these are now pretty scratched. I think from the for stock splintering in my face.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.
    Last edited by reloader28; 04-11-2015 at 03:04 PM.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast