MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: gun blew up

Lots of names you don't see posting here anymore. Darn shame. Lots of knowledge has left the building.

Boolit Master
    I didn't read 16 pages of replies from several years ago but the first thing that comes to mind since these are both tube magazines with heavy bullets is having the recoil shove a bullet deep into the case behind it. BOOM... Maybe a slightly short case and a light crimp. Glad both shooters survived.

Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    I didn't read 16 pages of replies from several years ago but the first thing that comes to mind since these are both tube magazines with heavy bullets is having the recoil shove a bullet deep into the case behind it. BOOM... Maybe a slightly short case and a light crimp. Glad both shooters survived.
    Unless the loads were at or over maximum to begin with, I don't think a set back would cause a catastrophic failure.
    More likely a double charge and the results of such a mistake on a relatively weak action, I think.

Boolit Master
    After spending a few hours reading every post in this topic & going & looking at every link, IMO, it is worth every bit of the time to read the whole topic from start to finish. As well as going to look at the provided links scattered throughout the topic...

Someone, in the course of this topic, posted something like, "Everyone who reloads should read this topic." , Or something along those lines.

I agree wholeheartedly...

It is a great example of how one should not get too complacent in their habits when reloading & stay focused on what they are doing. Otherwise very bad things can happen...

There is also a lot of good info that can be picked up on in this topic, if one reads carefully.

Just my opinion though, suit yourselves.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

Someone, in the course of this topic, posted something like, "Everyone who reloads should read this topic." , Or something along those lines.

Having posted a thread in the last year of blowing up a Taurus Judge I agree. It can happen to anyone if they get to the point where reloading is routine and don't pay attention to what they are doing. I'm still not sure I had a double charge and lean towards a defective pistol but the results are the results. The gun blew up and the most likely reason according to the knowledge on this sight is a double charge so I accepted that and
    re-doubled my safety and attention.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Student View Post
    Had a very similar incident happen yesterday. I Googled "guide gun blew up" and found this thread. I too took an ambulance ride to ER with a really nasty wound to my left hand, so it seems this is what these guns do to people when they give up. The gun split into two parts, shattering the foregrip and separating at the barrel. In my case I was shooting 405 grn SNS casting bullets with 2015 powder. I was going for light loads and had success with 41 grains. These were supposed to be 36. Could I have undercharged? I can't remember if it's even possible to fit 72 grains of 2015 in there. I have no doubt that this is somehow my fault, just not sure how yet. This happened on the first shot of the day, so it's likely the whole batch is bad, as opposed to a fluke. At some point I'll break open some of these cases and double check the charge.

Well, "Student" hasn't logged in since 6-20-2015.
    I looked up the Accurate manual for "standard" pressure (28Kpsi) loading data for their 2015 powder (page 80 of manual...page 82 of PDF).
    http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

405gr. (L) LC FP

starting load 44.3
    FPS 1,666

MAX load 49.2
    FPS 1,817
    27,400PSI
    COL= 2.550

also, the MAX load 49.2gr is a compressed load, per the Accurate manual.

I only took the time to post this, because the manual states the compressed load.
    So, since this was first shot of the day, I suspect "Student" either accidentally used another powder or bore obstruction...I wouldn't think 2015 is slow enough for a S.E.E..
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Although I am not one to send others off to another forum, in this case it might be good for some to know.

Here is a link to where there is 15 pages of a topic supposedly by the, "Student" here who apparently goes by the member name of, "Mastiff37" there, who pretty much uses the same description of what happened & the same pic. If anyone wants to go read what the topic contains...

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/g...guide-gun.html

Anyway, JonB in Glencoe, you may want to go read the topic if you are curious like I am to see what finally was the end of the story, or at least to the end of that topic.

I will.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Master
    Found what the trouble was according to the post by Mastiff37/Student on page 14 of the thread I posted the link to earlier:

Well, the mystery is solved. I'm ashamed to say that the charge was correct, within a grain of 36, but the powder was not right. The powder I poured out of those cases is not 2015, but a flake powder, most likely Titegroup. I checked my 2015 container and it has the right stuff in it, so I somehow grabbed the wrong bottle when I filled the hopper. 36 grains of Titegroup is at least double of a reasonable charge so there's nobody here to blame but myself. I always thought I was being very careful, but I think I'll stick to factory ammo from here on out.
    Source: https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/g...ml#post2152003

Another reason to be diligent in ones handloading/reloading methods,
    & a reminder to keep only the powder you are wanting to use on your bench top & not more than one type of powder to prevent one from using the wrong powder when reloading, as well as being VERY sure which powder you grab to use for the application you are attempting to load.

Once again, a good topic here for reminding folks to be very careful when reloading rounds!
    Be safe!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Master
    36 grains of titegroup is a pretty impressive load! Just looking at that gun it's fairly obvious that whatever happened was more than slightly over pressure. You don't blow apart the barrel and split the receiver like a banana peel because the bullet was seated a little too deep or because you created a load slightly over SAAMI max.

Interesting thread.
    Years ago I bought several pounds of IMR 4198. It was all still sealed in the yellow metal cans and had a retail price sticker for $2.
    I found a load in a ancient Cartridges of the World book that listed a charge for it in 7.62NATO, and used it.
    A few did OK in a Springfield M1A, then a case ruptured. It blew a chunk out of the bottom of the bolt, rear bottom of the case,
    shattered a piece out of the stock, and opened the bottom of the magazine like a flower.

What I figured was the powder was so old, even in the sealed can, it had dried out somewhat.
    If each little speck of powder had the same energy:
    By weighing the charge, I got more granules of it than if it had the proper 'moisture'.
    And that's what made it a over charge/over pressure enough to rupture the case.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Found what the trouble was according to the post by Mastiff37/Student on page 14 of the thread I posted the link to earlier:

Source: https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/g...ml#post2152003

Another reason to be diligent in ones handloading/reloading methods,
    & a reminder to keep only the powder you are wanting to use on your bench top & not more than one type of powder to prevent one from using the wrong powder when reloading, as well as being VERY sure which powder you grab to use for the application you are attempting to load.

Once again, a good topic here for reminding folks to be very careful when reloading rounds!
    Be safe!
    Thanks so much for this link and the previous link.
    It was curious to me, that "Student" never made another post here.
    ...and when I did the quick search, and seen a compressed load of A2015 was in the Accurate data book, I knew there was more to the story.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Man
    Wow! it really makes you think about what you are doing!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimber1911 View Post
    Wow! it really makes you think about what you are doing!
    It's threads like these that made me become anal about how I load. I always keep the can of powder I'm using right next to the powder measure and keep the reloading area clear of any other types of powder to prevent any mix ups. I always check and double check my data, and I make sure everything is correct. If I'm in doubt of a round, I toss it (to be broken down and salvaged later). I ALWAYS immediately seat the bullet once the powder is in the case, it never leaves my hand until that bullet is seated. I also visually check the powder in the case. Hopefully, simple routines like these will prevent accidents.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Thanks so much for this link and the previous link.
    It was curious to me, that "Student" never made another post here.
    ...and when I did the quick search, and seen a compressed load of A2015 was in the Accurate data book, I knew there was more to the story.
    You are Welcome! Glad to be of any help & always happy to share when I can!

---------------------

The examples in this topic of how things can get real bad if one makes mistakes in reloading , are just more re-enforcement for using good habits when we reload.

We all need to stay focused. No one wants to be the next example of making a mistake...

Be safe All! & G'Luck!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Grand Master

36 grains of Titegroup would do the trick, glad he's OK!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    It's threads like these that made me become anal about how I load. I always keep the can of powder I'm using right next to the powder measure and keep the reloading area clear of any other types of powder to prevent any mix ups. I always check and double check my data, and I make sure everything is correct. If I'm in doubt of a round, I toss it (to be broken down and salvaged later). I ALWAYS immediately seat the bullet once the powder is in the case, it never leaves my hand until that bullet is seated. I also visually check the powder in the case. Hopefully, simple routines like these will prevent accidents.
    I store all my powder on the other side of the room and only have one at hand when reloading. I started this when I once poured the wrong powder into another powder can. I quickly realized what I had done, but had to throw a lot of good powder away.

Imagine if someone puts a fast powder back into a slower powder container and then loads with what he thinks is a slower powder.

I also always seat the boolit right after the case is charged. Granted I usually don’t reload a lot at the same time these days.

Boolit Master

This thread and the warnings here is about being very focused and paying strict attention to that little voice in your head. If something does not seem right, its time to stop, back-up, undo what you have been doing and pull yourself back into the game. To me reloading not only involves mechanical aptitude, but is a mind game as well. I have to really work at staying focused and not let my mind wander to other things. This discussion has been had before and everyone needs to do things "their way", but some say they watch TV or listen to music while reloading. To each his own, but I cannot let any other distraction be in ear shot or eye shot of me while reloading. This is not to say that I will never have an accident like has been described here, but I do believe I cut down the possibilities quite a bit by paying attention to the whole process.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    Years ago I recall someone Told Me Never Use Pistol Powder in a rifle. I guess the saying is still True
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Lots of names you don't see posting here anymore. Darn shame. Lots of knowledge has left the building.
    I was just rereading this thread and had the same thought. Among all the pontificating and postulation the thought "it's got to be either a double charge or wrong powder" crossed my mind also and I'm glad we got the definative answer and the OP recovered..

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Mold
    Please do let us know how the puncture wounds heal and what caused the overpressure.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast