Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Andy's Rust Blue thread WIP

Boolit Buddy
    Here we have an AR-15 Barrel which has been prepped by taking off the old paint on the barrel and doing a crosshatch pattern with a machinist file. It's hard to see in the pic, but it looks like the scraping you see on cast iron machinery. I want this to have a matte finish when it's done.

The gas port has been taped over so that there will be less rusting around where the gas block is fit, and some oversize dowels have been crammed in the chamber and muzzle to help handle it without getting oils from my hands on it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ar barrel 002.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	138306
    It's hard to see because the picture was taken at the end of the day, but the barrel has already been given a couple coats of rust blue, followed by a heating.

This is what it looks like after sitting in the bathroom for 24 hours

Name:	ar barrel 004.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	138307
    There is a thin layer of rust.

I left a 5 gallon bucket to collect the precipitation outdoors. I heated up the water to a rolling boil, then poured it into my capped piece of PVC with the rusted barrel inside and let it sit 30 minutes.

Name:	ar barrel 005.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	138308
    After carding off the loose black oxide and reapplying some rust blue, I set it in a corner of the bathroom for another 24 hours. Notice the strip that isn't rusted where the black electrical tape was?

You don't have to plug your barrel, I just did it for ease of handling, and to keep the oils of my hand off it. I took the tape off to give it a chance to rust as well, even though the gas block will be covering up this portion of the barrel.

After another 24 hours there is a little more rust, but it's harder to see in the pics:

Name:	ar barrel 001.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	138407

Here it is after a boil and carding:

Name:	ar barrel 004.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	138408
    Nice.

I like the color right now, it's a dark gunmetal grey color, but I'm going to make it blacker. Time to give it another coat and another rust for 24 hours.

Update: OK, it's day 3 and there is an extremely light coat of rust left on the barrel after 24 hours. It's almost like a dusting of it that you have to look hard in this picture to see.

Name:	ar barrel 001.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	138443

Here it is after boiling and carding.

Name:	ar barrel 002.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	138503

And here it is after a nice thick coating of rem-oil. This is a thirsty finish. I've had to do 2 coats already, and it's sucked up into the pores after sitting a couple minutes.

Name:	ar barrel 009.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	138504

I'm happy with the color and finish of this barrel, so after 3 coats it's done and ready to re-install.

Here's a pic of the upper receiver assembled.

Name:	upper.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	138539

Andy
    Last edited by andremajic; 08-16-2015 at 02:44 PM. Reason: added pics and description
    Check out my vendors section:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?231-Andy-s-Slow-Rust-Blue

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master

Andy if your pm mail box is full your out going Pm's won't work either???????
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 04-26-2015 at 11:26 PM. Reason: fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Andy if your pm mail box is full your out going Pm's won't work either???????
    I did a bunch of cleaning in my inbox. I have under 20 messages in there now. I

think it had to do with sending multiple PMs at the same time. Never used that function before.

Andy

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken

Boolit Buddy
    I'll give it a try. Put me on the list.
    Bill

Boolit Master

Very impressive work.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Got my bottle today,,, Thanks Andy.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Buddy
    S&W uses up to 32 different contour/shape wheels to polish one revolver. and a very experienced guy at the buffing wheel. Unless you want to ruin a bunch of firearms, don't ever use power buffers to do your finish. You've been warned!

Next project in this thread is going to be a S&W 5 screw revolver that has a less than attractive finish. Because of all the nooks and crannies, curves and flats, this might take a while to prep with sandpaper. I'll post pics when it's ready to start. You can use something like naval jelly or vinegar to strip what's left of your bluing off, but I prefer to keep it on. It helps keep track of areas that aren't touched yet.

This is what it looks like so far. Lots of work to go, and you'll notice a lot of pitting that I may or may not be able to eliminate. The main thing is to go slow, and use hard backing materials that match the contours. That way your edges stay sharp, you won't get a wavy finish.
    Go slow. Your prep work will directly affect your final finish.

Name:	revolver 003.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	138507

Do this work in direct sunlight if at all possible, or really bright lights. If you aren't using enough light, you will miss a lot of imperfections.

Polish with the side-plate attached. A common amateurs mistake is to polish them separately, and then when it's reassembled, there is a noticeable seam that runs around the plate where the two parts don't match up. Do the same with the crane installed in the receiver when you polish that side, and the front seam between the frame and the crane.

Andy
    Last edited by andremajic; 08-16-2015 at 02:47 PM.

H.L. Mencken

Boolit Buddy
    Now this one I'm watching like a hawk... My first attempt will be a rough Marlin .35 rem I got and then probably an Enfield... once I feel I'm comfortable with the process I'll bring out the Manurhin revolver but I can't mess that one up!

Sorry had to delete first post....
    ================================================== =
    I just this week completed my first project with Andy's Rust Blue. This is an old 22lr revolver that my dad had for as long as I can remember (I'm 59) and I got it when he past away in '97.

I can NEVER remember him cleaning, much less shooting this thing. Here are a few before and after pics. Camera work is not to good with my cell phone, I apologize up front.

Before:

Name:	Before1_sm.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	138569

Name:	Before2_sm.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	138570

Name:	Before3_sm.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	138571

Name:	Before4_sm.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	138572

After some prep work...

Name:	Before5_sm.jpg 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	138573

After First coat...

Name:	After1_sm_1stCoat.jpg 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	138574

After Four Coats...

Name:	After1_sm.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	138575

Name:	After2_sm.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	138576

Name:	After3_sm.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	138577

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	138578
    It Is Intuitively Obvious To The Most Casual Observer With The Least Amount Of Experience

My Feedback
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=Fla9-40

Some more of the finished product....

Name:	After4_sm.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	138580

Name:	IMG_0466.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	138581

Name:	IMG_0468.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	138582

Name:	IMG_0465.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	138583
    It Is Intuitively Obvious To The Most Casual Observer With The Least Amount Of Experience

My Feedback

Boolit Buddy
    Excellent work! It only took a tiny bit of that solution to blue the pistol, didn't it?

H.L. Mencken

Thanks! It was lots easier then I thought!

Yes sir, very little at all!

Thanks again Andy!

My Feedback

Boolit Buddy
    Here's the progress on the M&P 1905 five screw S&W.

The tricky part is sanding out the pitting, without lowering the roll stamped lettering. This can be accomplished mainly by leaving the lettering alone and going around the periphery of it and eliminating as many pits as possible with a backed sanding block. There is a bit of artistic touch that can be used to hide imperfections, such as using a different grit of finish to distract the eye. If you have lots of pitting that cannot be eliminated, you don't want to bring the gun to a high polish, because the pits would stand out like a sore thumb.

Keep your sanding directions in the same direction as the factory finish. If you have to remove a lot of material, you could change the direction to keep the finish even, then go back to the original direction again. This will help with any "rocking" on flats that you might be doing unconsciously, which can lead to an uneven finish.

You can do the "shoe shine" with sandpaper on the barrel, but be aware that this can easily lead to waves and an uneven end result. If you do the "shoe shine" method of sanding, do a little sanding lengthwise on the barrel like "draw filing" to even it out. Make sure that at the end, all the directions of the sanding are pointing the same direction, if at all possible.

The S&W logo is especially shallow, try to leave it alone as much as you can.

For all the nooks and crannies that you can't possibly touch except with short stroking, especially concave curves, there is a product called cratex abrasive that is a rubberized abrasive in different grits. They come in all sorts of different shapes, grits and sizes and can help a lot. I still wouldn't recommend using them with a dremel. Polish by hand. Slow and steady wins the race, eh?

Name:	revolver.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	138732
    A little progress with 350 grit and a backing block. Don't rush the job.

Andy
    Last edited by andremajic; 05-06-2015 at 09:25 AM.

H.L. Mencken

Boolit Buddy
    So Andy... I'm going to get around to trying this myself but... any photos of what it looks like on a highly polished part? I'm talking sanding it up to 2k grit and hitting it with the buffing wheel prior to bluing... I'd imagine you'd end up with a nice shiny blue when you're done though I'm not sure how much the 0000 steel wool would knock back. Guessing denim or 2k paper would be better for that.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
    So Andy... I'm going to get around to trying this myself but... any photos of what it looks like on a highly polished part? I'm talking sanding it up to 2k grit and hitting it with the buffing wheel prior to bluing... I'd imagine you'd end up with a nice shiny blue when you're done though I'm not sure how much the 0000 steel wool would knock back. Guessing denim or 2k paper would be better for that.
    That is too fine. You need to leave tooth to the steel. 320 is about the cut off for a quality bluing job. The best finish towards shiny will be accomplished by finishing between coats and at the end with a stainless carding/polishing wheel from Brownells.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    That is too fine. You need to leave tooth to the steel. 320 is about the cut off for a quality bluing job. The best finish towards shiny will be accomplished by finishing between coats and at the end with a stainless carding/polishing wheel from Brownells.
    Got it... final polish at the end. I do a lot of finishing work but never played with bluing before. My assumption, apparently incorrect, was that since this is a chemical finish that provides its own bite you'd want the high polish prior to applying it and it would etch itself in. I'll certainly have to play around a bit. Spraying a finish and getting a mirror gloss I can do but this will be a new medium for me entirely.

Boolit Buddy
    waksupi is correct. 350 is about the limit of what you want to polish, otherwise you're wasting time. You can use a brown paper grocery bag or those rough brown paper towels to polish between coats. They are the equivalent of 1-2000 grit sandpaper.

I would not recommend using a buffing wheel or anything powered. It's too easy to dish out your flat surfaces using powered abrasives.

There is another technique I've been playing around with for small parts. Get a super fine polish on a screw head by spinning it in a drill chuck with sandpaper. Then heat it up fast with a propane torch just hot enough to make it sizzle, then dunk the entire head into a small glass container holding the rust bluing solution. Repeat this about 20-30 times. You can get a beautiful blue/black on those parts without letting it rust overnight, but I don't have the technique down well enough to recommend it yet.

Feel free to experiment with small stuff like screw heads, if you like.
    (This is not flame bluing, just in case you were thinking that.)

If you were to do an entire gun that way, it would probably involve heating it up in an oven, then taking it out and swabbing it really fast with a sopping wet sponge or cotton swab. Another drawback this technique would have is you'd go thru a bottle really fast as it would evaporate a lot of your solution doing it this way.

H.L. Mencken

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
    I'll take a pic of the prepped revolvers side plate when it's ready.

What you want is a hazy reflective surface. You should be able to see basic stuff being reflected back, but it shouldn't look like your bathroom mirror.
    Last edited by andremajic; 05-08-2015 at 07:46 PM.

H.L. Mencken

Boolit Buddy
    Understood... not much different than prep work I do for other finishes that I spray on then. Anything smoother than 320-400 is just wasted effort and more headache than it's worth. I wouldn't use powered tools for anything other than buffing. I'm picking up my project rifle this evening that will be the first actual firearm I test this out on. Full realize a rifle is a lot more area to prep but less fine details than a revolver and if I screw it up I'll paint the sucker and sell it as a hunting rifle. Thanks for all the information!

Boolit Buddy
    Here's an updated pic of the revolver: (Might need to dust out the computer case soon!)

Name:	rev.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	138970

You see how it's reflective, but not like a mirror? This is the type of finish you should be getting. I still have a lot of little inclusions and pits to eliminate but it's coming along nicely!

Don't rush your job. Everything worth doing is worth taking the time to do well. You'll spend double the time fixing a job that you rush through and do half-assed and have to stare at your work every time you take it to the range. Enough said.

Andy
    Last edited by andremajic; 05-08-2015 at 07:47 PM.

H.L. Mencken

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast