Reloading EverythingPBcastcoLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Andy's Rust Blue thread WIP

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Magana559 View Post
    I got mine on friday, going to give it a go on a shotgun barrel I have laying around. Give me a few weeks to get around to it as I have lots going on at the moment.
    Sounds good. Keep us updated on your progress and post pics!

Andy
    Check out my vendors section:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?231-Andy-s-Slow-Rust-Blue

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken

Boolit Bub
    Great tutorial! Very similar to the method I learned from an old, when I was young, gunsmith. However, not having WD40, yes, it was a long time ago, his final step was more traditional. He heated the part up "till was 'bout to hot to hold" to open up the pores in the wood, and drive out any residual moisture, and rubbed it down good with boiled linseed oil. When it had cooled to room temperature the excess oil was removed with a soft cloth and the whole paper buffed with a soft cotton cloth. The linseed oil adds an extra luster and depth to the blue and an additional layer of protection.

YMMV
    WHEELGUNNER

Boolit Master

Andy's is awsome stuff and easy to use. This was my first attempt and finished with linseed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160903_222542.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	175784
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

Looks a lot like my Rem 550-1; nicely done.

Boolit Master

Thank you! She was my grandfather's and I got her 27 years ago.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I see Andy hasn't been on the board for a few months, but I would sure like to see his bluing formula offered again. Excellent stuff.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Always used to use Pilkington's Rust Blue in the past, but thought I would give Andy's formula a chance and am glad I did. Although time consuming (as is any rust blue), the results were just as good as, if not better than Pilkington's.

Here's a picture of a model 12, 20ga that I received as a basket case that someone had welded on the receiver, the adjusting sleeve for the barrel was incorrect, and was missing the butt stock. Had to make a new adjusting sleeve, clean up the welded section of the receiver and re-blued (using Andy's formula), and refinish the wood (butt stock was from Boyd's, but finished to match the forearm). I think it turned out rather nice.

Name:	Winchester Mod. 12.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	225717

Here's a 1954 vintage Tokerav that was in such bad shape that I picked it up for a song. The pistol was rusty and the grips would not stay in place. Cleaned up the metal and re-blued (using Andy's formula), and modified a new set of grips that were secured by a screw rather than the internal cam.

Name:	Tokarev.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	225718

Andy's formula get a thumbs up and one big "Atta boy" from me.
    Last edited by Johnny_V; 08-19-2018 at 08:46 AM.
    Your Feedback is appreciated
    Johnny V
    NRA Benefactor
    Member OGCA & GOA
    CCW OH & PA

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234