MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Updates from people PC'ing Desert Eagle 50ae

Boolit Master

Didn't mean to leave you hanging, I don't have any experience with poly rifling. I would search "slug a glock barrel" in the Google search here for that answer.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Quote Originally Posted by jmden View Post
    So with the polygonal rifling in a DE in .50AE, I guess the question would be how to determine what to resize to and (sorry to be bother) I could use some help figuring out what resizing die would be a good choice. I'm looking at using the Cast Performance 370g WFNGC bullet: http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/inde...&ref=CP500370A and hope to push it to 1300-1350+ with a stout charge of H110. I'm getting nearly 1575fps from a 300g XTP with H110 and would like to alternate these bullets/loads in the magazine for when in bear country.

Edit: Is this what I need? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/411...t-501-diameter

jmden, Yes I would think you should start with that resizer. It is possible you would need it at .502 or .503 which can be accomplished with some lapping compound in that sizer, but honestly I do not think you should go there right now. A chamber cast with cerrasafe or pushing a 100% lead slug through the barrel and then micing it would give that answer. Still your boolit sized at .501 after powder coating will likely be more than accurate enough.

I don't know much about the DE, but for poly rifling in glocks, powdercoat allows cast boolits to be used.

So, just to be clear, as an ignorant new guy trying to wrap my head around all of this, you should NOT take a commercially made hard cast bullet, powder coat it, and shoot it, as
    This has me a little concerned. Most commercial cast bullets are already lubed. If you have one that is, you MUST remove all lube before powder coating. IMHO it is easier to just cast your own than it is to remove commercial lube. Also looking at those grizzly bullets you posted, they are lubed so you would have to remove all that first. I would not consider it worth the effort personally.

Quote Originally Posted by jmden View Post
    So, just to be clear, as an ignorant new guy trying to wrap my head around all of this, you should NOT take a commercially made hard cast bullet, powder coat it, and shoot it, as it would be over dimension, likely causing a dangerous over-pressure condition, correct? You wouldn't do this because you couldn't resize a commercially made cast bullet down to the correct dimension once powder coated, without proper dies.
    A couple of issues with this. One, you have to remove all traces of bullet lube before powder coating as noted earlier. The sizing issue is not about pressures but getting the loaded round to fit. Often adding 0.002"+ of PC w/o sizing, can make a larger bullet too large to chamber properly. I size all my bullets after coating. That way they are uniform in dia, especially helpful with mixed manuf cases.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Not sure why you couldn't resize a commercial jacketed bullet, the lead is usually pretty soft. (Someone else may have better info on this)
    As far as sizing lube, use a few drops of Dawn dish soap to tumble lube, after you resize rinse it off with hot water.
    After using dawn on cast bullets I rinse out my sizing die with hot water and then shoot it down with a little rust preventative.

Boolit Bub
    Dawn dish soap for resizing...good enough. Thanks.

After resizing, no lube needed to fire these though, because they are powder coated, right?

https://flic.kr/p/C8mv8K

Getting the lube off. Had to boil multiple times til no more wax came off, then rinse in acetone...

https://flic.kr/p/BXLi4y

https://flic.kr/p/BaWV2n

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0464.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	155636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0462.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	155637
    Your bullets look good they should work fine. Too bad there's not an easier way to remove wax!
    This is what I'm using. I cut down a Lee C501-440-RF mold that gives me a powder coated bullet weight of 320-323gns.
    I stand them on their noses to ESPC so the bases are completely covered. The second picture shows a finished bullet on the left, a bullet from the mold before cutting the mold down in the middle and a factory Hornady cartridge on the right.

I do resize again after PC'ing with Dawn as a lube to .501. I rinse all the Dawn off, no lube is used to shoot. I only have a couple hundred through my Desert Eagle and so far no signs of leading in the gas port or barrel.
    I also have a Baby Eagle in 45acp and shoot powder coated through its' polygonal barrel with no leading problems. Keeping my fingers crossed! Keep us posted.

Boolit Master
    You won't need to cross your fingers, it shall be just fine. Shoot more and be happy.

Ebner

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    MacFan-Who/how did you cut your mold?

Quote Originally Posted by scarry scarney View Post
    MacFan-Who/how did you cut your mold?
    I fly cut it in my vertical mill. Hitting my target weight for the cast bullet was a little bit of math and a whole lot of luck. Maybe pure luck.

Boolit Master

I know... I am waking a very old thread. I just started running powder coated, gas checked Saeco 230 grain bullets thru my now very old 41 mag DE. So far they have shot like a dream. I do wish I could see into the gas ports, but so far no issues with feeding or cycling. I do always finish off the session with a mag full of really hot jacketed loads. A lot of the current production 41 mag ammo will not cycle this beast. The only reliable factory ammo I have found was the IMI 41 mag designed for the DE. I have been loading my own stuff to match the velocity of the IMI with H110.

I have it not because I like the DE, but because I love 41 magnum and this was another medium for my favorite magnum round.

Banned
    These shoot great! you go any hotter and it becomes a REAL HANDFUL

50 AE DE H110 27grn 377gr 0.501 15bhn NOE 502-383-RF PC'd with one coat ASBBDT shake, dump, and bake.

Accurate and barrel stayed clean.

Work your way up to this load

Last edited by Conditor22; 04-22-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12