RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 358 Win cast loads

Boolit Master
    Not sure about the Lee dies you have, but some of my dies have a seating plug that can be flipped. One side is for spire point bullets and the other for flat point. Take your die apart again and see if you have a seating plug like that that can be reversed.

Boolit Mold
    I just took apart my dies and it looks like that will work. If I get some time tomorrow evening I will load up a few and see it does.

Thanks...

Boolit Master
    Don't get discouraged if the boolits are not accurate; it may be that the wheelweight alloy wasn't water dropped or heat treated. If it wasn't, you may be driving the alloy too fast for the hardness in it's current form. If it is indeed wheelweight alloy, you can remove the lube and heat treat the boolits if they are too soft.

Air-cooled wheel weight metal is plenty hard for up to 2250 fps muzzle velocity.

Boolit Buddy
    Do any of you know what mold that is for the boolits Comuaiki posted above?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by lastborn View Post
    Do any of you know what mold that is for the boolits Comuaiki posted above?
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=1056
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I may be wrong, but the meplat on the Noe looks wider and has a little thin drive band next to the gas check ?

Boolit Buddy
    Man that 230 grain from NOE looks like a sweet mold!!! I am thinking that with a alloy of 5:1 COWW to linotype and driven to 2200 Fps those boolits in my 358 Winchester would take any North American game animal with authority!!!!

Let me cover a few things. First off if you do a search here on the forum you will find not just a few but many pages devoted to the .358 Winchester as it has proven to not only be a very accurate round but also a great cast bullet round capable of hunting from small game up to Moose and Elk up to 250-300 yards depending on load. I would however not use it on Big Bear such as the Brown or Grizzly. Will it work I am sure it would but if the Bear got it in its mind that if it got a hold of you it would cure its ills it may not end well.

As for particulars. You need to slug your bore to make sure that the size of the bullets you have now will work correctly as you wish to have .001-.002 over boar.

As for powders as mentioned you currently have some good powders that should work very well with the .358 Winchester.

The Lee dies though you may have problems with as they are designed expressly for jacketed bullets. But one can hone out the neck sizing section of the Lee dies so as not to down size the cast bullet during loading. I wish I could tell you how this is done but I am sure a search will turn up some good information on the subject. But because of this reason I use RCBS dies.

For expanding and belling the case mouth you can use a .38Sp/.357 Magnum die or there are several other ways of doing this. You can get a Lyman M die expressly designed for opening the case mouth correctly for cast bullets along with belling the case mouth or you could use a set of needle nose pliers of which to leave them closed and put the point into the case and gently twist them a bit inside of the case to generate a bell on the case mouth just large enough as to not shave lead when seating the cast bullet into the case. There are many ways to skin a cat from free to costing some money lol.

I use the Lyman M Die.

If you have questions please feel free to ask them as mentioned the .358 Winchester is probably one of the most beloved rounds in Cast Boolit rifle shooting. Also do not forget the search function.

Have a Great Day.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    Man that 230 grain from NOE looks like a sweet mold!!! I am thinking that with a alloy of 5:1 COWW to linotype and driven to 2200 Fps those boolits in my 358 Winchester would take any North American game animal with authority!!!!

No need for the linotype.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I use either 39.0gr of BLC2 or 34.5gr H4895.
    I use a modified .357mag RCBS decapper/expander to flare cases. (Lee universal expander will doe likewise). You MUST flare the case necks to seat "boolits".

My Marlin M336 and BLR .358win use exact same loads.
    I much prefer the .35Rem Marlin due to MUCH better trigger.
    Marlin is more accurate. Prefers BLC2. BLR prefers H4895.
    These loads run ~2,000fps and are accurate hunting loads.

I use Lee dies with both. Not quite sure what you're doing wrong.
    i don't use jktd in the Marlin. Use Hornady 200gr PtSpt in BLR.

BTW; added: I cast my own with RCBS 200gr FNGC. Mine cast to 220gr. .size to .360" for the .35Rem.
    Last edited by GooseGestapo; 04-21-2015 at 08:13 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    No need for the linotype.
    Why would that be? I always thought I would need a bit harder lead, and since I powdercoat, quenching or heat treating will not work. I have 140 lbs of lino anyway!

Boolit Buddy
    I had been testing my Browning BLR-81 in .358 Win and the picture below shows my best load using the RCBS 357-180-SIL mold (drops at 192 grains) and Blue Dot powder (see components listed in the picture). This target is at 50 yards. It is a 5-shot group. Last shot was rushed and I was getting "buck fever" after seeing 4 out of 5 in a ragged hole. So, I called the last one a flier.

Camba
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BEST-358Win BLR 192grRCBS 18.5grBlueDot WLR OAL 2.390 50yds.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	137510
    Last edited by Camba; 04-21-2015 at 12:17 PM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    Why would that be? I always thought I would need a bit harder lead, and since I powdercoat, quenching or heat treating will not work. I have 140 lbs of lino anyway!
    I've not followed the powder coat craze, so am not up on the problems with it. However, I've shot deer, elk, bear and bison with WW boolits, hardened to 24 Bn approximately. Works fine.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I've not followed the powder coat craze, so am not up on the problems with it. However, I've shot deer, elk, bear and bison with WW boolits, hardened to 24 Bn approximately. Works fine.
    This is the truth. Also, I have PCed WQed bullets and experienced no loss of hardness. (mind you, this was one test on a 35 caliber bullet).
    Also, PC has not really blown my skirt up in regards to 358 Winchester. They look real cool, but I can trump PC accuracy performance every time at 2000fps or greater in my 358s.
    Best to leave the PC to the 45-70 and use an alloy that is balanced in tin and antimony. My personal favorite is COWW + 2.5%ish tin to make 95.6/2.2/2.2. Air cooled, it's 14BHN and WQed it runs 25-27.
    For 358 Winchester, I run a WQed bullet of said alloy, about 2200FPS and change.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 04-21-2015 at 03:51 PM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Vendor Sponsor

Attachment 137536Attachment 137537
    first target has all the load data and chrono results
    second target is 200 yds 4 shots on left side then I adjusted sights for final center shot

This was done with Powder coated 98/2 Alloy... 98% clip on wheel weights and 2% Tin... No water dropping or any other additional hardening ( other than waiting a week after casting )
    third target again just confirms the groupings
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Nice shooting Smoke4320!

Boolit Mold
    Ok, so I contacted Lee Reloading and they suggested I need a custom seating Punch for my dies and can make one. All I need to do is ship them a couple of my cast boolits with a few dollars and they can make on for me. Since most cast boolits are generally flat nose for this cartridge I am hoping the Punch will generally work for any cast boolit I try to reload.

Anyone have any thoughts...

I wish to than everyone who has posted as you have been most helpful.
    Appleseed Long Range Rifleman

If you just want to make it a flat nose - I'd put some epoxy into the nose of your seating punch to level it - instant flat nose.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    If you just want to make it a flat nose - I'd put some epoxy into the nose of your seating punch to level it - instant flat nose.
    I had to do this w/ a set of 32 H&R dies. It kept damaging the noses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12