RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 358 Win cast loads

Boolit Mold

358 Win cast loads

I an new to this forum and this is my first post. I have been reloadig for a few years now using jackted projectiles only. I am but a newborn to cast loading which is what brings me here. I reciently came accoss some .358 220g FNGC ww cast bullets on gunbroker at a good price which are prelubed. I have looked around quite a bit but really have not come accross any load data for this bullet in a 358 Win. I plan to use them in my Savage 99 for general shooting at paper but dont have a hardness tester so I dont know how hard they are.

Does anyone have any load data they can share for this bullet in this round. Since I also have a 35 Rem chambered in a Marlin 336 and a 35 Whelen AI built in a Savage action, load data fo these other two rounds using the same cast bulets would be appreciated. If anyone thinks these may serve another shooting purpose besides paper I am open to your experience.

Thanks...

First Welcome - Look around I think you'll find some useful information
    2nd - can you give a better idea of the bullet you have?
    3rd - can you share what powders you have on hand?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Those boolits should do well in either caliber. Have you miked them, as to their diameter? Eighteen 1/2 grs of 2400 work well for me in my Whelen, but it is standard, not AI. I would start with about 16 grs of 2400 and work up in 1/2 grain increments, for your 358W.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Hodgdon starting load data for jacketed bullets and H4895 and IMR4895 work very well with cast bullets. The data are reliable and are pressure tested.

http://www.hodgdon.com/

Additionally H4895 data may be reduced considerably. I get best accuracy at 1800 fps and below, with acceptable accuracy up to 2250 fps. Information on reducing H4895 may be found at the following site.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20R...le%20Loads.pdf

My 358 works great with 220gr. Ranch Dog bullets, using a wide variety of powders. If you have any 3031, that works well. Can't overpressure the 358 with it, but in my rifle it seems to shoot best at about 40 gr.

As Artful says, what powder do you have to work with?

-Nobade

Boolit Mold
    Hello everyone and thank you for you responses. This will give me a starting point to get going. To answer some of the questions I was asked:

Here is a photo of the bullet I am plan to use
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	136508

The powders I have in the loading shelf
    Accurate 2015
    Hodgdon H110
    Winchester 748
    Accurate No. 9
    IMR 4198
    Hodgdon Lever
    IMR 4350
    IMR 4064
    Hodgdon BL-C(2)
    IMR Trail Boss
    IMR 4320
    IMR 7828
    Alliant Reloader 15

The bullets Mik out to .359

So your recommendations are a good excuse for me to go out and add a few more powders to my stock. Does anyone know if these boolits would be good for game since they are made from Wheel Weights. I how no idea how hard they are and they may only be good for punching holes in paper. This all new to me.

Seems to me you have all the powders you need already. And welcome aboard!

I have an interest in the 357. I don't have one but would love a 357/303 which I consider to be a near ideal calibre for cast with the 308/303 size case.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Well, a lot of those powders should work well in the 358. If it were me, I'd use a full case of IMR4064 and see how that ran. Should be about 30,000 psi and 2050 fps or so, so plenty safe and about the right speed for cast to shoot well.

Good to see another poster from NM here. Lots of beautiful country where you are and plenty of elk to use that 358 on!

-Nobade

Boolit Mold
    Nobade, I think I will try the IMR4064 since I have quite a bit of it layin arround. So you think if I fill the 358 win case full their should be no signs of over pressure. My lee reloading manual shows a 200gn jacked bullet with a max charge will give 46200 PSI, so would a heaver bullet not have more pressure. I am but a novice at this cast stuff but this sounds fun to learn all this new stuff.

Yeah, it sure is beautful here and I love it. See elk regulary and hopefuly I can use my 358 win this year if I draw a hunt otherwise punching paper is still satisfing for me.

Boolit Master
    If you extrapolate the data from here http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/ they give a max charge of 4064 for a 220gr jacketed bullet @ 47 grains. (If I did my math correctly.)

I'm using 35 gr of IMR3031 with a 220gr RanchDog for 1900 fps out of a 20" barrel. That's all the recoil I want for punching paper.

I think your bullet will be fine for hunting. Last year I used a 216gr RCBS clone bullet that looked similiar to yours and was cast from coww. I was pushing it at 1825 fps for a reduced blast hunting load. Longest shot was 250 yds and the deer ran about 40 yds. Also had one I hit in the lungs at 80 yds. It ran a little over 100 yds before giving up. So if you aim for the shoulder and load it hot, your coww bullet should work fine.

Heavier bullet will take up more room in the case and allow a smaller powder charge. I doubt you will be able to get more than about 42 grains in the case. Start a bit lower and work up of course, but it will be plenty safe with that powder. You mentioned you have 748 - that works great in the 358 as well, but you can almost overload a 358 with it so it's a little harder to deal with. Gives a bit more power though.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    The best bullet that I have tested in .35s is the Saeco 245 gr fpgc, and hits like a ton of bricks, although the bullet in the pic. looks good.

Boolit Mold
    Wow, thats lot of great info. When I look at the data you provided and compare it to the hodgdon loading data on their site there is no direct correlation and the wieb site data is for jacked bullets.

Can you directly substitute cast bullets for the data on their site or how does one take hodgdon data and use it for cast. I realize this is probably something you learn and devlope with experience but for newbies like me there what guidance do you suggest for devloping a starting load?

Thanks...

Anything they list for jacketed is going to be safe with an equal weight cast bullet. It might not shoot accurately, might lead the bore, but won't blow up your gun. It's all just practice and learning what combinations work well and what don't. On a plus note, the 358 is really easy to work with using cast, and most rifles can fire them at full rated pressure with pretty good effect - unlike many other calibers.

-Nobade

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hodgdon starting load data for jacketed bullets and H4895 and IMR4895 work very well with cast bullets. The data are reliable and are pressure tested.

http://www.hodgdon.com/

Additionally H4895 data may be reduced considerably. I get best accuracy at 1800 fps and below, with acceptable accuracy up to 2250 fps. Information on reducing H4895 may be found at the following site.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20R...le%20Loads.pdf
    My personal experience with the 358 Winchester, RCBS 35-200-FN, and H4895 (as well as IMR4895), is that loads from 1600 - 1800 fps are exceptionally accurate and do not leave behind any lead. From 1800 - 2250 fps accuracy is very good, and leading is moderate and controllable. For hunting purposes leading is insignificant.

Boolit Buddy
    Where did ya'll get the Ranch Dog 220 boolit mold in the above post, by Nobade and others? Is this a brand new mold? Where do you get one?
    Thanks

See my PM. NOE makes them.

I just looked on their web site and couldn't find it. Not sure if they are discontinued or just not listed, might have to give them a call to see.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    Oops...it's a 230gr bullet. Sorry.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=1056

There it is! How did you find that?

Oh, I see - I thought there were only 5 pages! They just keep on going.

GREAT 358 boolit, at any rate.

-Nobade

Boolit Mold
    Ok, today I made my first attempt to load up a few rounds using the bootits i pictured above and 38gn of 4064. It turns out the LEE dies I am using wont seat them and from what I can tell the seating punch wont contact the cast bullet so the bullet got stuck inside the die. I had to dissamble the die and tap out the bullet to remove it.

Does any one have any suggestion how to seat the boolits into the case without this occuring again?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast