Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: humming birds

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post

Boz330 has a similar horde in his back yard. His wife puts out several feeders and sometimes has to fill some of them twice a day.

It's impossible to get an accurate count, but at any one time there may be 50 or so on the feeders or waiting their turn to get a drink.

They have one bully that spends all his time chasing the other birds off his personal feeder.

Fascinating little creatures.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    The wife and I visited the wine country of Ca.

We got a hand drawn map to get us to the ocean

Many miles of dirt roads later we found a trading post on the beach.

What a true paradise.

Colorful flowers completely covered the building and there were more hummers of more varieties than I had ever seen and they were there by the hundreds.

What an amazing site but I could never find it again if I tried.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Buddy

Have been feeding the little fellers about 15 years. First in Memphis, then here on Lookout Mountain.

Couple of suggestions for what it's worth.

Food does not have to be colored. Should keep it fresh. Can use sugar water, 4 to 1 water to sugar, simply combine and stir or whip. No food color needed.
    My experience is that they are hungry after arrival, then slack off for a while then pick up again. They fight like ally cats.

If any come in your home, they will fly around looking to escape. I have picked up those who have become exhausted and for those who light out of reach, hold a broom head near enough for them to step on and then carry them out. They never say thanks and will buzz you if you stand too close to "their" dinner.

Have seen photos of a chap who somehow tamed them to land on his fingers. We have a nest that was found by bride's brother. If I can conquer the upload, I'll post image... One of the Masters best designs....

One last thing. It's best to keep spiderwebs knocked down near feeders. I found one wrapped up in a web. Pitiful. This was in Memphis where there was a vet who specialized in trying to save these injured birds at no charge.

Boolit Master

In Western New York, we've just had the peepers for a little over a week. They were a few days late this year.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Please remember to change the nectar about every 7 days and kind of clean the feeder..they build up yeast if left and while not fatal..can make the hummer's sick...great little "flying Christmas lights"..we got them here pretty much year round.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser48 View Post
    I want to get one mounted.
    not sure a taxidermist will do a hummingbird.......

Boolit Master

Now all joking aside how about some pictures of hummingbirds if you have them. Lets see if we can get pictures of more than just the Ruby throated. How about?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12