RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .327 FedMag snake shot tested!

Boolit Master
    I make wads for any caliber straight-walled pistol using milk jug plastic.
    Some years back when ALCAN used to make over-powder Nitro wads from card board and then along came the plastic revolution and ALCAN started marketing a wad to hold the shot in shotshells called a QUICKSERT.
    It started out flat with a circular bottom cut to fit the inner diameter of the shotshell. Attached to the circle were a set of flat wings , one each side that folded at the attachment and each formed a semi circle that met inside the case to form a tube when the circular bottom was pushed inside the case and bottomed out atop the overpowder wads. The shot went inside this QUICKSERT and then the crimp on the shell was last.
    With some careful measuring , a plastic or even thin paper model made, and a tin template can be made to size these to fit any case, including .444 Marlin and . 45/70 down to .32 and .25 pistol.
    These QUICKSERTS will ride out encapsulating the shot with no leading and a better pattern further out.
    Sure, it takes a little extra work to use a shot sleeve, but it keeps the lead from contacting the rifling which swirls the lead and blows holes in the pattern till it's just too skimpy.
    The shot sleeve slides past the rifling unless you load it too hot or try to pack in the shot.
    Shot doesn't compress too well.
    Loosely packed and only a couple grains of powder and you get killing patterns.
    Try it before you load those screaming shot blasters.

Last edited by Alferd Packer; 10-19-2020 at 09:24 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Ballistic Products Inc, your one stop shop for all your odd and wacky shotgun needs. They also have #10 and #11 shot in addition to #12 in 10lb bags. http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Mag...t/products/68/
    "A house divided against its self can not stand" Abraham Lincoln

We hunters, trappers, fishermen, and shooting sports enthusiasts are the house. But we are divided and are our own worst enemy. If we do not stand together we will fall individually.

I just checked out Ballistic Product! Will be ordering some #11 shot as soon as its back in stock. Thanks for the tip.

On another note, my Pops had to take care of another rattler this past Sunday. My parents were taking out their trash cans and it was coiled up behind one, cooling off in the shade. Luckily my mom spotted it before my pops got within range. This one was a little bigger, about 2 1/2'. My mom sent it on its way with a little .22 revolver we gave her to carry. Funny, when we gave that wheelgun to her she asked stubbornly, "Why do I need this?!"

Boolit Master
    I bought a punch set last week from Harbor Freight. It's for use in a drill, I'm using them in my drill press. The 5/16" is just right for the .32. Loaded up some with Bullseye (2.5) and some#9's. H&R mag brass worked much better than .32Long (more shot).
    Finally got around to shooting it again, this time with .327mag ammo. had to but factory ammo to get brass.
    Really neat gun and cartridges!

punch in press works better thn sizer dies. Cut everal hundred wads in nearly n time. Did have to sharpen the low quality punches, though.

goose- I would give the 327 brass a shot once you have some empty cases, you'll get just a tad more shot in there even with #9s. How'd the Bullseye do? I dont have any of that but I do have WST which I think is pretty close. I'm assuming you mean hollow punches to cut out the wads? What material are you punching out and what are you using as a backstop behind the material being punched? That's a good idea though, I have several punches that might work from my leather working tools.

Would using a gas check maker (like the patmarlin) with milk jug plastic work? I have the gas check maker in 35 cal but haven't used it yet. Seems like it would work and you wouldn't have to use the more expensive copper or aluminum material.

I'm not sure. But i don't believe that plastic would hold the shape of a check. Then again I'm no expert. But i also get my AL checks for about $20/1k, which is likely to make enough snake shot for the next 30 years haha. I could use a 30 cal check maker though since I need those for other things too I suppose

Boolit Bub
    starline brass sells direct. taking orders for end of may shipping.500 count 121.50$. that is where I got mine and am satisfied with their brass. hj```

Boolit Master
    I, too am waiting for this run of Starline brass.

I was going to go that route, as I've ordered directly from them before. But I got a few hundred rounds of factory ammo as part of the deal I got on the gun. So between that and the couple boxes I picked up afterwards, I think I'm ok for the near future. I don't really intend to load anything too hot often, if at all. I also have ~300 pieces of 32swLong which I have been using more than the 327 for light trail loads. I'm going to see if I can find a load this consistent at ~8-900fps using the 327 brass though, to avoid the carbon ring in the cylinder. Just haven't had the time and my reloading bench has been out of commision for a couple weeks.

Boolit Master
    This is my first foray into the 32, so I figured I'd just get all 327 and load them how i want. Accuracy *might* be a little better, and it will be less stuff to sort through.

Back to the topic. I did buy one box of factory ammunition, and I figure those 50 odd cases of a different headstamp ought to be about the perfect batch to experiment using as shot shells.
    Last edited by dilly; 04-22-2015 at 03:44 PM.

In Remembrance

For a nice 'cushiony' over-powder under-shot wad (or wads), use your wadcutter and chop some out of the now-empty and cleaned recycled supermarket styrofoam meat trays you brought home. It's been a practice of mine for decades and quite effective, and saves the great cost of one GC per load, LOL.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master
    I tested some " shot capsules" I made for the .327 today. Used 2.5gr Bullseye and wads I cut with a 5/16" hole cutter I Got from Harbor Freight.
    i used some soda straws that just fit the bore. Another story for another day (worked great, but not worth the trouble for 5gr more shot...)
    Just use card wads (free!).
    Patterns were great. Just like from .38 or .357 with $$$ shot capsules.

but, as accurate as the S-7 is, I'll just use a solid "ball" cast boolit. Shoot the head off!

I thought about using the straw deal to hold the shot column, but you just confirmed my suspicions that it was more trouble for not alot of gain. I'm sure a small lead ball would do the trick, I'm just hesitant to do it because it's so rocky around here. Not as big of a problem if there's a little space between you and a snake. But when they decide to appear next to your feet..... lol

Boolit Master
    Fwiw, I tried the lead ball (.310). Shoots ~ 1.5" low and left of poa at 10' (with ~1.5gr Bullseye)
    2.5 gr of Bullseye works great with card wads, hits to poa as does "ball" loads.
    case holds ~85gr of shot (#9).

Boolit Mold

Brass

Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    I'm taking delivery of a Single-7 this week myself.
    I've already got 500rds of .32s&wLong loaded, and working on some .32H&Rmag. Ordered some Federal factory .327mag as brass is unobtainable.
    Just received my order of 1000rds of .327 brass from starline! Get em while they're hot!

I ordered 1000 pieces of the Starline 327 brass today. I don't really need it all, so if anyone wants some but doesn't want to order the minimum 500 or 1000 required to order directly from Starline I'll sell 500 in 50 or 100 piece lots at cost plus shipping.

[ETA: I sold all the 327 brass]

Mike Venturino wrote an article years ago about using the gas checks for loading shot. I have the Speer capsules for 44 special and 45 Colt, but would like to try loading shot for the 32 Single Six, and 327 Single Seven.
    Last edited by dougader; 06-12-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12