Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .327 FedMag snake shot tested!

.327 FedMag snake shot tested!

Hi everyone,
    I recently picked up a new single-seven in the .327 flavor. Easter weekend was going to be my first time really getting to put it through the paces. I was spending the weekend out at my parents ranch. And since my dad has had some health issues lately, I was staying all weekend to help with some chores. Anyways, they live in a shall we say "snakey" area, and while I had various handloads ready to go, I decided to load up some 327 snake shot just in case. None is available commercially, but I've done enough reading here and other places to have a good idea on how to throw some together. I took some once fired Federal cases, threw in 3.0gr of Universal (i could probably up this a little, but I wanted as much shot as possible in this little case), then a 30cal gas check over the powder, filled the case up with #9 shot, then finally crimped on another 30cal gas check to hold everything in. I was hoping to pattern a couple of these just to even see if they would be effective, but never got the chance... sort of.

Fast forward to the morning I got there, and started my inspection of their irrigation drip lines. The critters like to bite the lines to get at the water since its so dry out there. I fixed a few leaks then went to the gate valve to test it out. Walked over, leaned over the hose and happened to look down. FREEZE... there's a coiled up rattler about 8" from my foot. Ever so slowly scoot my foot back while reaching for the Ruger. Man, as soon as my foot was clear of the shot path that single seven came out and Click, BOOM. Stepped back quickly at the shot since I didn't really know if it would even work. But luckily I saw the rattler got flung back a bit, and it was dust. The snake loads worked!! Good way to find out right? I try to keep any eye out for these things, but they have a way of finding the most discreet and unexpected places to hang out in the shade. That and with my dads failing vision/health issues, and that dopey lab pup they got runnin around, I couldn't let this one go being so close to the house. It was a baby, only about a foot and a half long, but as you know that doesn't make them any better.

So I guess it was just my lucky weekend, because after that even the varminting was good. Was able to take a little jack rabbit and a few ground squirrels with the little revolver. I used mostly 32 sw long loads, to keep it easy on my ears. Everything I hit with the 115gr swc was DRT, with very little meat damage. I didn't chrono the loads but they're only doing an estimated ~850 fps, but the little 32 is really impressing me across all the loadings. I'll have to work with the snake shot a little more, as I still never got to pattern them on paper. Though upon disection of the rattler, it seems even the gas checks did work. One check blew a hole straight through and the other I found lodged in the body. No pics of the varmints unfortunately because I don't carry my phone out there, but I took a couple snapshots of the snake I'll try to put up later. Hope everyone had a good weekend! And keep an eye out, it seems its going to be a snakey spring/summer.

-Sam

Be careful using that GC over the powder, better to use a card wad instead.

I would think also use a card not GC over the powder, but also over the shot and if it is in wet weather just wax it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Thanks guys, I'll try that instead next time. I think I'd rater stick with the gas check on top the shot though, the rounds do too much rolling around in my pockets etc, and I don't want to mess with gluing the shot card edges like I've seen others do.

Measure the ID of the case and make a wad cutter punch to fit, easy to do.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nothing at all wrong with using a sized gascheck over the powder. This has been the way to do it for years. I've done it this way for years and so have many others.

If there's a perception of a problem it is mistaken.

I did size the checks to prevent any odd pressure issues, but I'll try it with the card anyways. It would let me stretch the checks a little further if nothing else

Boolit Master
    I have used both card and gas checks. I am not a fan of either one to be honest. Without the shot capsule the barrel leads up something fierce. Took me a good long while to clean it out when I experimented with both. Now I load the Speer shot capsules.

I would use the capsules, and have for 44 cal. But they don't offer them in 32 cal...

Boolit Master

Thanks for this write up, and good man helping out your folks!! I've been feeling an itch for a good .32 cal knock around revolver and the .327 seems to be the current bees knees. Adding snake shot to the mix only makes it more useful.

Boolit Man
    Hey there, Their is a thread on how to make tools and shot capsules from milk jugs here somewhere. I read it a few years back and made the tools and the resulting shells work very well n .357 mag.

Boolit Buddy

Nice job on the loads. May be nice to have your phone with you in case you happen to get snake bit. And of course you would be able to take pics of the critters. We do like pics.

Boolit Master
    I'm taking delivery of a Single-7 this week myself.
    I've already got 500rds of .32s&wLong loaded, and working on some .32H&Rmag. Ordered some Federal factory .327mag as brass is unobtainable.
    I've been loading card wads in my .45lc and .357mag's for years. I've killed over 150 Carpenter bee's this spring with walnut-hull loaded in the .45lc fired through my .410 O/U...
    Glad to hear that the Single-7 works with snake-shot too.
    I've gotten mine to replace the .22lr as ammo is essentially un-available and it's a much better platform (5.5" Sgl-7) than the Keltec .32acp I tote from time to time... And the .40S&W is too short to make a good "snake-shot" cartridge. Ditto the .45acp and 9mmPara.

I punch my wads from cardboard using my Lee bullet sizers as punches. No problem with pocket carry as long as shot-column is tall enough and wad is cleanly cut and tightly crimped.
    However, a swipe of my wife's finger nail polish holds them tight for years....

In Remembrance

+1 on just using GCs alone as 'wads' for revolver shot loads: I did that for decades with no trouble, albeit in .44 mag. with a heavy crimp. To clean the resulting leading out of the rifling, load a few more cases with seed tapioca and fire them......cleans really well and doesn't harm the bore.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HABCAN View Post
    +1 on just using GCs alone as 'wads' for revolver shot loads: I did that for decades with no trouble, albeit in .44 mag. with a heavy crimp. To clean the resulting leading out of the rifling, load a few more cases with seed tapioca and fire them......cleans really well and doesn't harm the bore.

Interesting idea. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be used to remove leading from any firearm.

I've been using .38 Spec "snake loads" for probably 40 years with gas checks and no problems at all. I use about 4.5 gr unique with a gas check seated cup up, the load the hull with some #8/9 bird shot to within about 1/8" of the end of the hull. Then seat another GC over the shot, cup up, the a nice big fat crimp to hold everything in place. Works on rattlers, moccasins, copperheads, squirrels, stray dogs and ornery cats. I found this load in a NRA loading manual many years ago.

Hey everyone thanks for the comments and suggestions! I have seen the milk jug deal. Honestly just seemed like too much work. I understand I could fit a little more shot though. And yes, I proably should carry my phone. The property is big enough to if I unfortunately hurt myself down at the ebd, no one would know. Don't ask me how many times my Ma has reminded me haha.

I did make sure to put a nice tight crimp, otherwise the shot would shift and I could feel the top gc rattle a bit. I do want to try this again with some #12 shot though since the case is so small. Now just to track some down. I've one seen it in 50lb bags, and that's a little much for experimenting. Finally got some shots of the snake though!

Sorry for the large image size. You can see one check lodged in there. The second pic you can see where the other blew right through. You'll also notice the head is missing in the picture. I don't like handling them while that's attached, so I tossed it into a groundsquirrel den for good measure.

Goose- this gun has largely replaced 22lr, at least in this role for me. The 32sw longs are actually easier on the ears from a pistol (I got the 4 5/8" bbl), and has more punch to boot. I also got some 327 mag factory loads, since as you mentioned new brass is out of stock or over priced. You mind if I ask you what boolit you chose to go with?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast