Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these powders ok?

Boolit Buddy

Are these powders ok?

Ok so I picked up 3 1LB cans of older powder at a gun show the other day from an older gentleman that seamed very very meticulous. anyways I asked how much for the powder? and he replied $7 for all 3(keep in mind that everything he was selling was ridiculously low priced, and of fairly high quality) so I immediately got $7 out and went on my way. after getting home I saw that the powders had 1lb 6oz, 1lb 11oz, and 14oz written on them. Ok thats a bit odd for 1lbs containers... but again I thought of how particular the guy was, maybe he had 8lbs kegs and this was all that was left. What I ended up getting was a cardboard can of Hercules 2400, another cardboard can of Hercules reloader 7, and finally a plastic container of alliant reloader 7 dated 1997. the biggest problem I noticed at first was the old reloader 7 had red, yellow, and green powder in it and the new one did not. After researching for awhile I found out apparently old lots had some color to them. other than that everything seems great all the powders seam to look like they should ie old RE7 VS new RE7 and 2400. they all smelled like they should. After really researching these powders and looking them over closely I think these are good to go and Id really like to use these seeing as they were next to free. I just wanted to see what others thought first.
    I'll keep my guns and my money, you can keep the change!

Μολὼν λάβε

Expect responses ranging from 'you're good to go' to 'it's plant food' and everything in between. Only you can decide what's and acceptable level of risk after careful review of all the facts.

Do you have a chrony?

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I do expect that, I was hoping for a majority vote though. And no I do not have a chrony although it's on my list of items to get.

Μολὼν λάβε

Banned

do you have some of those same powders already?
    do a side by side.
    working up with the new powders, a chrono would speed up the process but your gonna have to work with what you have.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by b money View Post
    Yes I do expect that, I was hoping for a majority vote though. And no I do not have a chrony although it's on my list of items to get.
    It's pretty easy for me to vote "go for it!" After all, I won't be there when you pull the trigger.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Like Run said.

Treat it like Bullseye and try it in a low grain pistol load at start level (or less if you've the experience and confidence.) to start with and then work up,,,,
    Last edited by Hamish; 04-08-2015 at 10:48 PM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Age doesn't mean much. I am using powder from the eighties. I've shot ammo from the thirties. Odor is a big indicator of good or bad. Hopefully, he labeled them correctly. That would be my concern.

In Remembrance
    When I got an older 8Lb can of B-Dot I did a comparison. Side by side like R5R stated, and I tried the old vs new in known loads. The older stuff had a bit of a kick when compared to the newer stuff I had on hand. Although I have a Chrony I chose not to compare speeds since what I used it for was 12ga slugs loads, and wads and Chronies don't like each other. Everything went just fine but I would stress caution, it's just best to play it on the safe side..
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

If you have an AR-15 in 5.56mm, you just hit the jackpot with the old Reloader 7. My load using 20.4 grains of it along with a 55 grain FMJ-BT Hornady bullet, is my most accurate load to date and it worked just as well in the 2 other rifles that I tried the load in. It's a darn shame we can't buy this powder any more. That Hercules 2400 was like finding gold, just find some cast boolit data that achieves the velocity that you desire in a 30 caliber rifle, and load a few rounds. I bet that the load will be accurate. Happy shooting and keep us updated on how well it all works for you.
    "We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)

Boolit Buddy
    Unfortunately I don't have any of these two powders. 2400 has been out of stock locally for years but I've been wanting to try it out and RE7 I've never used but it looks like it's a very good powder for a number of things. That's why I'd like to use these.

Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Master
    Wolfe's Propellant Profiles has photographs of the powder granules, with a grid scale behind them, and verbal descriptions. If you don't have actual samples, that is a good indicator. Some of the older loading manuals have photos as well.

Hullo, the RE-7 was first produced with the colored markers in the powder, when they changed the mixture they dropped the markers. I have used many pounds of this powder , old and older....works great in .223 and 22/250 in my experience while trying to reduce the sod poodle population in several western states. Also shot a ton of 2400 in .44 special & 44 mag... start low and see what you get, then I would shoot it up and feel good about it. I have bought partial cans of powder and have had no problems , if it smells funky , burn it. IMHO
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Never have more than one can of powder on the bench when reloading.

Remember that suggestion? It was probably thought up by an old guy who realized he had just poured a powder measure of Bullseye back into a bottle (or cardboard can) of 2400.

"meticulous" sometimes isn't all that matters... unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by b money View Post
    I just wanted to see what others thought first.
    I'd dump it all as a lesson learned. Who knows where that powder has been and what's been added to it.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

IDK...at a gunshow from a man I didn't know, in odd containers and random weights of powder I wasn't sure was what it was supposed to be. Used car salesman and politicians can seem very nice and someone you would trust.

Your very trusting. Be careful
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Call Alliant, they may help you make a wise decision. Do the containers have a lot number on them?

Boolit Buddy
    The newer lot of re7 has a lot number the other two don't have readable numbers.

Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Man
    Too many variables for me to consider using the powder for anything......especially considering it's only a $7.00 investment. Try this: Dump the powder, Take the cardboard cans to a gunshow. There are collectors that would probably give you $5.00 each. My $00.02.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 11B-101ABN View Post
    Too many variables for me to consider using the powder for anything......especially considering it's only a $7.00 investment. Try this: Dump the powder, Take the cardboard cans to a gunshow. There are collectors that would probably give you $5.00 each. My $00.02.
    If they are the original containers in good shape he could probably get $20 for the set. 300% profit beats a blown up gun in my book any day
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

To each their own but I never would have purchased them. Too many things could have gone wrong and considering what could happen it is just not worth the gamble to me. As a Bell Helmet add read back in the day.....if you have a 10 dollar head....buy a 10 dollar helmet. Sound advice to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast