RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Black Powder lube

Boolit Bub

Black Powder lube

Haven't been here in a while.
    Here's my problem.
    I'm shooting an Uberti 1866 in 32-20 for Cowboy. The only bullet I can find that carries enough lube is an 80 grainer that I don't want to shoot. I have a 93 gr bullet with 2 lube grooves that is fair. I still have to swab after each 10 shot string.
    Problem is my fingers are somewhat beat up and small motor coordination is not what it used to be. I can't get those .311 round nosed bullets in and out of my RCBS Lubesizer.
    Any body have a better solution for getting lube on these little beasts?

Boolit Master
    If your shooting black..your lube is probably soft..you could pan lube & use a Lee push thru sizer in reloading press..or if size is right just load. I like soft lubes & find I can push bullets out of lube cake base first without too much trouble or mess.

Banned

I wish I had a nickel for every boolit I just wiped lube in the grooves by hand.
    but pan lubing and a cookie cutter might be your best option.

this actually sounds like one of those grandkid 'bonding' [cough/forcedlabor] moments.

Boolit Master
    Try this: Heat a small amount of lube to liquid in a small pan (tuna can is fine). With a pair of tweezers, dip each bullet in melted lube and place on a rag. When finished, grab the nose of each bullet and give it a little twist; this wipes the bullet base clean. Now the bullets are ready for push thru sizing.

If a thinner coat of lube is desired, line up several bullets in the hot lube and wait for them to heat up (3-4 minutes). Now when "tweezered" out of the hot lube, only a very thin coat of lube will adhere.

Credit goes to Goodsteel, after he shared this method with me it's the only way I lube my XCB bullets (very shallow grooves, I use the Hot Bullet variant).

Boolit Grand Master

Mecham tool and die makes a push thru lube sizer also. I have one and it works good with softer lubes like spg and emmerts improved (home made). Its a sizer and lube uses a standard reloading press. I have used a little lee and rcbs rock chucker. I made an angle plate type mount so ram is horizontal. Lay bullet in sizer body and a slight twist roll or push to seat into and ram pushes into sizer then a twiat on lube pump screwe and run next bullt in pushing previous thru with it. I am very happy with mine so far I have 40 cal and 45 cal set ups currently. You can lube in several ways Pan lubing finger lubeing and or dip lubing. Sizing can be done with an actual machine l;yman rcbs or star, A lee push thru in a reloading press or the above described Mecham set up. If you use diffrent lubes a second lube pump woupd be handy but they are easy to clean out ad a quick boiling. Once empty with the plunger there isnt much left in the pump to worry about. Just another option

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    If you do any casting, then Accurate Mold has a very good bullet for the 32-20 rifle. It's the 105 grain with a large lube groove. This bullet will lube very well through a lube/sizer or by pan lubing with a kate cutter to remove the bullets from the lube.
    Buckshot makes the best ones I've ever used. They are made of steel and very easy to hold. They are hollow and you just keep placing the tool over the bullets and catch them as they are pushed out the top. Very fast if used with a good BP lube.

The accurate mold and the kate cutter will make your shooting fun again. Later David
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/lib/tim...w=114&h=0&zc=0
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet