Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Dykem case coloring

Boolit Bub

Dykem case coloring

Hey guys, wantin' to try something new for my cases to make them easier to identify at the range (easier than just sharpie on the case stamp). I've been looking into using Dykem Staining Color or Dykem Marking Fluid. For the purposes of reloading the differences between them should be irrelevant.

That being said, if you were to color your entire brass case for easy identification at an indoor range, would you do green, red, or white coating?

P.S. there are other colors available, but I thought these would probably be the easiest.

Boolit Master

I use a majic markers of different colors and just color the base.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master

Im assuming you are refering to the dykem products refered to in manufacturing as lay out fluids. These are used to coat metals so lay out lines stand out better. They are meant to be scratched thru easily and arnt super durable. They scuff of and flake pretty easily. Enamel paints or nail polish in the head stamp and or extractor groove is more durable.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah, Dykem has both layout fluid and staining colors which were what I was looking at. Enamel would be much tougher, but I wouldn't wanna try it on the whole case. (I'd worry about how well it would feed particularly in my tighter tolerance gun, my Kahr CM9). I figure with an 8oz bottle I should be able to get quite a few coats out of it before I need to buy another bottle. I've heard of people using the layout fluid before, just not the staining color. But figure it's worth the test for the low cost.

Boolit Grand Master

Also keep in mind the coating can and will affect how weel the cases grip the chamber under pressure. Coating the whole case may make a case slippery or sticky. Also if it is scraped of during chambering and extraction this is going to foul the chamber and action of the firearms. It may be hard to remove also. Some steel rounds were lauquer coated to preserve and supposedly to aid extraction though.