Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: 3/8" Scope bases for savage rascal

Boolit Buddy

3/8" Scope bases for savage rascal

My 5yo can't figure out the peep sights on her rascal. So the Easter bunny brought a scope and bases. The scope is just one of those cheapie tascos from Walmart. But it's the perfect size for such a small gun. It comes w permanent rings for 3/8" bases.

Didnt realize it it until I tried to put it all together but the only bases for the rascal that I can find are 5/8" bases. Any 1" tube scope is going to be too big and top heavy for that gun. I really want to stick w the tasco.

So I can, 1. Grind down the bases, which would have multiple angles to work on. And then have to color it black. Appears to be alum.
    Or 2. Try my best to find a similar set of bases and drill as necessary. Which seems like it would be difficult to find the same profile and drill around the original screw holes.

Any other ideas?
    My other forum, where I'm building a cabin....http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_3325_0.html#msg48687

IIRC, a new Ruger 10/22, that I gave to one of my Grandsons about 10 years ago, had a 4" long Weaver-type rail with it that had a 2nd/narrow set of grooves milled down the center, parallel with the larger outer edge of the base, so that a user could mount either a tip-off ringset, or the larger CF-type rings.

It shouldn't be too difficult to re-purpose that base (or some other base) via drilling holes in it to match the screw/hole pattern on the Rascal.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mattd,

A couple of thoughts before she and you give up on the aperture sight. 1. Out of all the people I taught to shoot rifles while in the Navy, only one AOAN couldn't get it through his head he was supposed to look through the hole, I think he was actively trying to use the rear sight as a blinder.

2. Is she using her dominant eye, and at least looking at the front sight? It may take a larger and closer target than you think.

It has been a couple of years since I actually had a Rascal in my hands, and I didn't shoot it then, but does the aperture unscrew leaving a larger hole she could maybe look through? It may take drilling a bigger hole.

With all that said, it may come down to finding a Weaver type base that has both the rimfire 3/8" dove tail and the cross slots for centerfire type rings, then fitting it to the rifle. Epoxy bedding can be used between the rifle and the base to fill gaps. be sure to put release agent on the rifle and let the bedding agent stick to the base.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    You guys rock! Found it and it's gonna work well I think. The 4 rear holes of the rail line up with the factory holes on either side of the chamber. In other words I could cut the end 2 holes off and have an inch long piece that would fit over the rear holes, and then cut the new end off to have an inch long piece for the front holes. There would be just a little metal left between the screw hole edge and the edge of metal.

Or or I could drill and counter sink new holes, but the mount might block ejection and getting the holes just right w out a jig would be tough.

What do you think? Masking tape equals cut lines. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	136391
    My other forum, where I'm building a cabin....http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_3325_0.html#msg48687

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattd View Post
    You guys rock! Found it and it's gonna work well I think. The 4 rear holes of the rail line up with the factory holes on either side of the chamber. In other words I could cut the end 2 holes off and have an inch long piece that would fit over the rear holes, and then cut the new end off to have an inch long piece for the front holes. There would be just a little metal left between the screw hole edge and the edge of metal.

Or or I could drill and counter sink new holes, but the mount might block ejection and getting the holes just right w out a jig would be tough.

What do you think? Masking tape equals cut lines. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	136391
    I think I would try to get my cut lines a bit straighter.

Set everything up and see how it looks before you cut anything. And you might want to make both pieces the same length.

You will probably need to make a cheek piece to allow your daughter to see through the scope. I remember trying to see though the scope my dad's new Winchester Model 190 when I was 7or 8; I saw lots black half moons, very seldom did I see a full field of view. What I am saying is make it fit her, not you.

Good Luck,

Robert

Boolit Master
    Brownell's sells blank 3/8" tipoff bases by the foot.

Boolit Buddy
    Here it is! Not only did I have to cut them to get the correct screw holes in the right places, the bases were to wide so I had to take off a good amount on the bolt side so the bolt handle could clear it. Also the screws were too long so they got ground on too. One of the cheap Chinese screws stripped so a trip to ACE solved that problem. This small tip off scope is almost too big for the gun. I can't imagine Savage only offering full size 5/8 bases.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Nice - I'm glad you got it sorted out for her !