WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What makes you think so?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    A commercial caster is not necessarily a commercial shooter. Your statement would have much more credence if you were situated within the latter category. ... felix
    felix

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by dicko View Post
    Ain't that the truth! I've been amazed at the **** that surfaces on this and other forums from guys I expected would know better. I hope I'm not guilty of same. I tend to be fairly uncompromising, maybe I should modify that slightly, but at least what I say comes out of hard experience.
    So far not one Glock has shown abnormal leading or anything to indicate that Glocks are different from other guns. That's what I'd call the absence of proof, but evidence so overwhelming that it is as good as proof.
    Hi Dicko,

You've just done exactly what I would wish everyone would do: Jump in with their experiences, and let everyone know what results you've seen. After all, what you've done, you've done, and what happened as a result, happened. There's not a thing in the world wrong with relating that.

My problem arises when people try to explain WHY it happened. Some guys don't have the logical skills or background to really understand what is behind their results, and they can come up with the most absurd 'explanations' you ever saw, and they will defend them to the death. And in so doing, they can misinform and mislead new shooters dreadfully.

Even on this forum, I've still seen absurdities perpetuated that have been disproven years ago. Cast bullets do not fail at high velocities because they "run out of lube", tin does not float to the top of a melt because it's less dense than lead, and leading is not caused by the bullet rubbing against the bore. Cast bullets have been handicapped by such old wives tales for far too long as it is.

All I asked for is that shooters who want to post an explanation of their results also post the reasons they think their explanation is correct, so that others have some basis for judging the accuracy of their explanation. Some of the most incredible things are really true IF you know WHY.

I once had a pot of molten lead literally explode with the violence of an M-80, spraying molten lead all over me, the room, and even extending to the far wall of an adjacent room, leaving the formerly full pot completely emptied. On this grounds, some people would would ignore hundreds of years of contrary experience and announce that they'd discovered that lead was a high explosive! In my case, I learned tht the explosion occurred because I was dumb enough to drop a lead ingot into the melt that was covered with sweat, and what I got was not a lead explosion, but a steam explosion.

So if you think your bullet trajectory is a corkscrew, at least tell us that you learned it is so because the moon is made of green cheese. You won't mislead us old hands, but it will at least give the new guys a chance to decide on whether to believe you or not.

Sorry to be so long winded, but this is a topic that I feel rather strongly about.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345