WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Vectan GM3 Initial Impressions

Boolit Grand Master

Vectan GM3 Initial Impressions

I recently bought a couple of pounds of Vectan from Grafs to try out in a pistol. After some research I bought a bottle of GM3 and one of A1. The GM3 was first up.

Its burn rate on the chart is right next to Unique so after going to several forums overseas and reading posts from guys that have used it I surmised that a starting load of 3.0gr in a 38sp under a 358140 would be well within safety bounds and was, in fact, under the min suggested loading for GM3 using this round. I did have to extrapolate a little between a 158gr and a 125gr Lead Boolit to get there.

First off, about GM3.
    Attachment 136054
    It is described as a single based granulated powder. It is composed of random sized grains and is grey in color. It has an odd smell, in fact it was odd enough that I poured some out to make sure it was alright and it looked fine so I decided to begin testing with it.

I used my trusty 50th Anniversary 357 Mag Blackhawk as I always do when I start testing unknown powder as it is strong enough to take about anything on an initial loading. I used 6rds of 3 starting loads 3.0gr, 3.2gr and 3.4gr checking for pressure signs and leading. The day is 70 and sunny.

First load:
    3.0gr GM3
    358140 SWC
    38 sp Brass
    Fiocchi SPP
    60/40 lube
    Unsized but dropped .359 and 141-142gr average with BHN 10-10.5. The rounds were all in the black at 10 paces and showed no signs of pressure. Recoil was light as expected from the BH. Very little leading and a clean barrel. With these results showing the pressure was fine I decided to trade the BH for a SW 14-4 I just acquired and had not fired yet.

Attachment 136042

Next was 3.2gr GM3 in the SW 14-4:

Attachment 136049

Still little recoil but the hits were spread a little. Still a small amount of leading at the start of the rifling but the barrel was clean indicating the Bens 60/40 was doing its job.

Next was 3.4gr GM3

Attachment 136043

Hard to believe but from 10 paces that center hole was 3 rounds. I'm not that good but this pistol appears to be. Still little leading, the barrel was crystal clean and no signs of pressure. The recoil was easy to manage and I would have no problem shooting 100rds without cleaning the gun with this load.

The brass looked like it was unfired:

Attachment 136044

GM3 appears to be a big winner. I don't have a chrony yet it seemed to me that it was a mid range load. The felt recoil did not vary that I could tell but that is subjective. The full sized grip on this pistol kept it very manageable.

Nice recoil, no signs of pressure, very clean. What's not to like?
    Last edited by jonp; 10-11-2015 at 02:39 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Nice write up. I am pretty excited how the A0 is working out in 357 Mag. I have a box loaded up for accuracy testing after running a bunch of loads across the chrony. There is not much out there on some of these powder, especially the shotgun powders like that GM3.

Boolit Grand Master

I found much data on 38sp here: http://www.armerialsa.it/ricarica%2038%20sp.htm

Boolit Master
    I use GM3 powder in .357, 44-40 and 45 Colt for my lever action rifles, I have never used it for pistol loads.

I also use it for plinking loads in 6.5 and .30cal rifle rounds.

ukrifleman.

Boolit Grand Master

A little more information on GM3. I had very little leading and instead of slugging the SW as they are very well made I decided to just experiment. After fooling around I hit upon 20:1 Water Quenched (yielded about 14BHN) Sized .358. Lubed twice with Ben's 60/40 and Over 3.0gr GM3 I got zero leading with a clean bore. There was a little soot on the cases but not much. I'm going to use this result to start serious load testing.

On metering: Since I'm starting with 3.0gr I filled my Lyman 55 with GM3 and got to the 3.0gr throw. 3.0 - 3.1gr over several throws then I did 5 into the pan and it measured 15.0gr. This stuff is very consistent and pores "like water".

Jonp Thank you for the write up. Especially the metering information. If a powder doesn't meter well, I tend to get frustrated! I will add this to my listof powders to try. If I ever find any!
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Grand Master

Good report, sounds like a good powder.

Glad it appears to be unrelated to Vectan SP8. Squirrelly powder. I traded into 8 lbs of it and it is
    ONLY useful for 9mm Para, which seemed entirely impossible to me. However, after some careful
    experimentation in .45 ACP and .44 Mag, I quit that stuff. It will load a LOT of 9mm Para at
    6.5 gr per load. Works well, just doesn't DO any other cartridges. Nobel Sport ONLY lists
    9mm as the "suitable for" . . . . . never heard of a powder that specific before, but it appears
    to be true.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Good Morning.
    I am new to the forum and have come to him by my great fondness for weapons. My name is Manuel and I am Spanish.
    I inherited a gun Winchester 44-40 WCF with the illusion that I have to shoot. Since 1892 is the original model, I do not want to break using existing powders.
    I have seen comments that uses gunpowder ukrifleman GM3 for 44-40. I can not find tables with the powder charging for 44-40. How many grains?
    Although GM3 is a modern gunpowder I read that adding Miraguano and powdered graphite can behave like black powder. It is true?
    Thank you very much for your interesting to Jonp information.
    Very cordial regards,
    Manuel.

Boolit Master

Welcome to the forum, Matmap. Great place to learn, for all of us.. I recently bought 2 pounds each of Vectan 9 something and 9.5 something. Both pistol powders. One burns close (on the chart) to Bullseye and the other burns close to Unique. They are very fine roundish granules, so it should meter really well. Wish me luck. Someone said - there's not much loading data available from Vectan on their powders. True. Going to have to take it slowly. That's OK - I'm in no hurry.
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Just remembered. The Vectan powders are BA9 and BA9.5.
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

I've used these two powders for many years. GM3 is a particular favourite of mine due to its easy flowing through a powder measure and clean burning. GM3 is not a Vectan (SNPE) powder but Italian, made by SNIA, a division of Nobel's explosives. In my .375 H&H 18gr. of GM3 behind a 280gr. plain base gives me .6 moa groups. Curiously this is with magnum primers, standard primers give near identical velocity readings but no where near the same accuracy.

Vectan AO should be treated with caution however! It is, as you have noted, a very promising powder but it has one very nasty flaw. When it reaches a certain load the pressure will go way over, usually at well below what the chronograph is telling you is a maximum load. For instance with .44 magnum in my M94 and the RCBS 250 grain Keith, 10 grains gets me 1250 fps (this is a from a 20" barrel) and cases are just starting to come out clean and vertualy drop out of the chamber under their own weight. !0.2 grains gives (for the two rounds I fired), 1256 fps but now the cases had to be hammered out of the chamber! I fired two rounds at this load as I thought I must have made a mistake so repeated the load tests a second time the following day.

I also tried AO in the .223 and had the same extreme occurence; curiously again with ten grains, this time under the NEI 72 gr. 9.9 gr. gave just over 1900 fps and barely enough pressure to seal the case mouth, 10 grains and the bolt locked up due to the case head extruding in to the ejector hole! Again I repeated the test with the same results. With both N320 and Bullseye best accuracy is in the region of 2200 fps with no signs of over pressure.

Naturally I had brought several kilos of the stuff so had to use it, so it gets used in my .44 magnums at 9.5 gr. Incidentally my notes show that at anything much below these loads there was considerable velocity spread, so I found there is a very narrow window where loads were safe but had an acceptable velocity e.s.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Boolit Man
    BEWARE GM3 is hygroscopic and pressure varies as you get down the tub!

Boolit Master

jonp, have you done anymore shooting with Nobel GM3 in 38 special or other pistol calibers? Any more info on it being hygroscopic? Is it a bulky powder that works well in tall straight walled pistol calibers? (ie 38 spec, 44 spec, 45 colt?) Thnx

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by clum553946 View Post
    jonp, have you done anymore shooting with Nobel GM3 in 38 special or other pistol calibers? Any more info on it being hygroscopic? Is it a bulky powder that works well in tall straight walled pistol calibers? (ie 38 spec, 44 spec, 45 colt?) Thnx
    Not yet. It has been on my "to do" list for sometime. I acquired several other pistols in the mean time and have been using a few different powders that I'd not gotten around to try like Titegroup. I shot some more of the 38sp and my initial impressions were about right. It is a great powder. I didn't get much time on the 45Colt but did manage a chrono (thread: I got my first chrono! I shot my first chrono!).
    My next project will be to compare Hercules Unique/2400 which i found on vacation to current production Alliant Unique/2400 in my 357Mag Blackhawk.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Not yet. It has been on my "to do" list for sometime. I acquired several other pistols in the mean time and have been using a few different powders that I'd not gotten around to try like Titegroup. I shot some more of the 38sp and my initial impressions were about right. It is a great powder. I didn't get much time on the 45Colt but did manage a chrono (thread: I got my first chrono! I shot my first chrono!).
    My next project will be to compare Hercules Unique/2400 which i found on vacation to current production Alliant Unique/2400 in my 357Mag Blackhawk.
    Thnx jonp, trying to decide if it will work for 38 spl, 44 spl, & 45 Colt cast pc bullets. I've been using 231, but the volume is so low it's hard to see if it's a low or no powder cycle. I think I read somewhere that the GM3 has good fill volume. Thnx again.

Boolit Grand Master

I found online data for all of those i think and posted links in another thread. If you cant find them pm me and ill dig them up for you

As always approach loadingd with caution. Bottom -10%

Boolit Master
    It's really bulky--that might make it a good choice for 38 special, especially in a progressive setup.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

The GM3 is my favorite powder handyman, the user with 357 to pierce the paper, in the 45 ACP and 7.65 Parabellum.
    It works very well with the powder measures.
    Weapons are like money ... no one ever has enough

As i said, GM3 is an excellent powder.
    Test 16 shots at 25 meters with S&W 686

Test 12 shots at 25 meters with H&K Mark 23, 200 SWC / 4.7 gn GM3

Test 13 shots at 50 meters
    Last edited by Saltner; 01-12-2018 at 12:37 PM.
    Weapons are like money ... no one ever has enough

Boolit Master
    Nice, I added a some to a Graf's order because it is so cheap and because of the results in this thread.
    Back in the land of boolits.