MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Northern lights.

In Remembrance

Northern lights.

I have never seen this, the northern lights are putting oon a display and it isn't even dark yet.
    People were standing all over wallmarts parking lot taking pictures of them in broad daylight.

Boolit Man

I'll have to keep an eye out for them here! Nothing yet... I've never seen them in daylight, either. That's amazing.
    Trochilids, Living in The Great Land

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams, February 6, 1788.
    "Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense?" -- Patrick Henry, 1836.

i want some.

Hey, how about posting a photo or two? I think I've only seen the northern lights really good once!

Boolit Master
    spend a minimum of one week in MN, BWCA, every spring hoping to see them. Its on my bucket list some day I hope.....

Well guys I am sorry to say that it was not the northern Lights you were seeing, It was a mind control agent you know the kind that is residual from the late 60s.

I sure wish they lights would go dancing in the skies here soon I really like it when you can here them buzzing and there touching the ground and walking all over the place.

Boolit Buddy

Starmac, please post some pictures. The 1 time I have talked to the #2 daughter this winter, she said they can see them really well at Coldfoot. When I asked her to post or e-mail some pictures, her reply was " Our cameras are junk and won't take good pictures ... ". LOL
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master

I did a search to see if there was a news story on this and nothing came up? It has to be news are they hiding it for some reason or did i just use the wrong search engine?
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Went out last night about 2am and had a great sky, lots of stars maybe even a shooting star but was very fleeting. No lights but I was watching. Happy Easter!

In Remembrance
    Sorry guys I don't savvy posting pictures, and I have never taken pictures of them, but my wife has quite a few. Not of those yesterday, but she is still bad about getting out of town and the lights on nights they are really danceing, and yes you can see them well and often at coldfoot.

I think those yesterday had something to do with the setting sun, as they were a pinkish color. When I first saw them I thought it was a beautiful sunset, but then they they started dancing straight up, looked like they went to outer space. I'm thinking the sun was lighting some particles in the air.

Boolit Master
    Northern lights are truly beautiful! I grew up in mid-south Manitoba and we used to see the lights often. One time only they were blood red! Quite a sight. Here in BC I have not seen them.
    R.D.M.

Moderator Emeritus

Only caught some light glows here in southern MN this winter. Conditions are right for them further north tonight(A is 8 K is 3, solar indexes. Means things are slightly increased).

Boolit Master

That must be some sight. We don't get that in Mississippi.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Spent 6 weeks camping in Alaska in the late 70s. One night we were camped in our old
    VW Squareback with curtains rigged on all the windows, including the front and rear, right
    by a lake up past Fairbanks. We were awakened from a sound sleep by the bright lights
    outside. We woke up and pulled back the curtains, and finally got out of sleeping bags and
    got dressed (it was October and well below freezing) and went outside. I took a number
    of pictures and they were really impressive, but not nearly as impressive as the real
    thing. Huge green curtains waving in the breeze, rivers of green light flowing from horizon
    to horizon, and occasional red tinges to the edges. Really, really memorable and that
    was almost 40 years ago.

Never saw them in daylight - must be one heck of a solar storm.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

On Heaven's Range

I was on strike at my regular gold-mining job in the early '90s. Needing some regular income, I spent two hunting seasons managing a trophy caribou camp in the Barren Lands of the Northwest Territories, about 180 miles north of Yellowknife..

AFTER the hunting seasons ended, I worked for a company in Yellowknife which provided northern lights tours to Japanese tourists.

This meant that (a) I got to see a LOT of aurora borealis displays, and (b) I GOT PAID to do it!

Not only an enjoyable situation, but one which gave me useful income when it was badly needed.

Looking back, my extra jobs were both interesting and a Godsend for my domestic situation.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

I used to watch the Northern lights in the 1950s and '60s while watering and checking livestock. They would come on best between 10:00 pm and and 2:00 am during the months of December and January.
    They were beautiful but at -35F to - 45F stopping to look up and watch them was not a pleasant experience.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Bub
    Northern Lights? Yea I see them when my buddy is coon hunting the woods just north of the house on the big hill.

I've seen the northern lights here in central KY a couple of times. Kind of faint and far away, but no mistaking what it was.

That was long ago though....so much light pollution now I can barely see any stars.

I live half way between two Super Wal-Marts. With a little snow on the ground and a low cloud cover, I can read a news paper by the parking lot lights five miles away.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Moderator Emeritus

I remember the light show back in the late 80's when the aurora was down to 30 degrees on my SOUTHERN horizon. It was seen as far south as Cuba that time and lasted all night. As an amateur radio operator I was making contacts off of it by bouncing my signal off the ionization.

Boolit Buddy
    Thought I saw them here in South Texas once but it turned out to be the cough syrup....