RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Field Carry Holsters

Boolit Mold

Field Carry Holsters

I'm in need of a good field carry holster for my Flattop .44 Special. I don't care that much about appearance, focus primarily on function with durability close behind.

Thinking hard about ordering a Tom Threeperson's from EPS. I've never had a nice holster before and thought I'd see what some of you guys were using.

Also considering ordering a belt too...possibly something like this:
    https://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-94-28-150-river-belt.aspx
    ...but have a few dumb questions. I'm trying to get an idea of what will work best for me. Unfortunately, in my area, it's hard to get hands on much besides nylon and kydex.

Is it pretty common (comfortable, more practical) to use a dedicated gun belt, in addition to your pants belt? Or do most just get a smaller belt that will fit through pants loops?

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Boolit Master
    I have the Tom Threeperson's from EPS, and I bought my son the same rig for him too. I'm closer to 60 than 50 and have carried a pistol for over 3 decades pert' near every day. I think your looking at the one to buy.

The thing to consider first is your belt. With the Tom Threepersons I use the EPS gunbelt.

For slacks and jeans I your belt is vitally important. Get a double stitch 1 1/2" leather. A 35 to 40 oz piece is pretty heavy for an inside the belt loop 1 1/2" slacks belt. Nylon store bought does not compare to any leather belt ordered to fit you.

The Ruger Flattop .44 Special is kind of a heavy piece, you'll need a good belt. The wider gunbelt will be a more comfortable way to carry your Flattop .44 Special. Putting a Flattop on a 1 1/2" belt is a lot to ask of that belt.

I use the Tom Threeperson with the EPS gunbelt, pay the extra to have it lined, otherwise it'll slip all over on you.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot depends on bbl length. At 6" or so crossdraw becomes important,
    esp if you are on horseback or driving. Shorter and strong side works
    pretty well. Depending on what you are doing exactly, a flap design is
    helpful to keep the gun from being beat up.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

i use this for my 4 5/8 NM BH 41 mag i like the option of a crosdraw http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/ps6sar1.html i had them add the hammer strap
    Attachment 135923
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Most pant belt loops are 1.5" wide - a good heavy gun belt is 1.5" wide, you can get them wider but they will probably be for a dedicated holster having a wider loop. I wear a heavy duty gun belt as my everyday belt - while stationed in Texas I found a guy who knew how to make Ranger belts - best style going in my opinion but since he's long gone and I "grew" out of one belt and the other broke the hole strap - I've never found another maker who made one to his standards, so I just wear the heavy duty gun belt with a diamond design - works well for both casual and dress. If you wanted to wear one over your regular trouser belt - you probably would need one a size or two larger??

I've got a couple flap holsters with a fancy scroll that looks nice but they offer good all around protection at the expense of draw speed, weight and in my case - stiffness. If I would have seen this set-up 50 years ago, this is all I would have/need.

http://ringlercustomleather.com/catalog/i2.html

Very expensive for most, but the Wyoming Combination Holster will carry a hog-leg any way you want it and should last a life-time and then some. Mine is for a long barrel single-action but it can carry most shorter barreled revolvers as well.

http://www.pistolpackaging.com/Produ...roductCode=BSB I like the shoulder belt for hunting.

Boolit Buddy

Just a thought, but have you considered making your own? They're not that hard to make. I used to make my own possibles bags because I could never find what I wanted at a reasonable price. The same thing occurred when I started accumulating revolvers. I have a 5 1/2" BH in 44 Special and made this holster for it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141225_110037.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	135935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141225_110048.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	135936

It took about an hour a day for a week and cost about $20 in material. There's some nice plans in the Al Stohlman's Holster book available at Tandy Leather. I don't much care for the generic holsters at the big box stores that fit a range of barrel sizes. I prefer to have a holster for my specific revolver and sized barrel.

Boolit Bub
    + 1 on the Ringler. His holsters are made the old fashion way, one at a time, by the same dude. I have one and it works. He is a gentlemen to boot.

My favorite is the Simply Rugged loaded pancake holster. It has 6 shell loops on the holster and has cross draw loops. I like cross draw for carry because I can still get stuff out of my right hand pants pocket. the holster rides close to the body and is formed to fit the individual gun. Great people to do business with too.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Threepersons from EPS gets my vote, too. I have several, and they are uniformly excellent. You have the option of a hammer thong or a strap, and I would advise the strap. It's more secure, and you can tuck it back out of the way if you aren't using it. The thong seems like it's always in the way.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

I learned a long time ago, for me, if wearing a "dedicated" gun belt/rig or pair of chaps a good pair of sidewinders is the only way to fly......a gun belt or chaps "stacked" on top of a another belt is very uncomfortable if wearing for any period of time, and a gunbelt always seems to end up there....along with pullin yer pants down to where ya look like a "gangsta"....... as was mentioned earlier, when horseback, quad ridin, or in your truck, cross draw is more comfortable and easier access to the pistola no matter the barrel length....while I have never cared for the chest holsters I imagine they would work well enough....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rdbronco View Post
    + 1 on the Ringler. His holsters are made the old fashion way, one at a time, by the same dude. I have one and it works. He is a gentlemen to boot.
    Yes he is - I stopped by his shop, which isn't easy to find in the wide open spaces of Wyoming, even with a GPS. The GPS got me close and his neighbors guided me in. At that time there were 3 people in the shop, Von was one of the 3 - I forget if the other 2 were family or employee's. I really like his combination holster and will bring it up every time I get the opportunity.

I've also tried the Mernickle holsters - they are very well made but I found them stiffer than a board and it takes some time and work to loosen them up for an even revolver withdrawal. I do wear their belts though - as they are as good as anything out there at comparable prices.

A good, well made and seasoned holster is a very important part of a person's wardrobe when out and about with a sidearm. Keep looking and after a couple hundred dollars or so, over a period of time, you might get lucky and find one that fits your fancy.

If you are looking for a field holster that will retain and protect your handgun in various outdoors conditions, there is none better than the Simply Rugged Pancake.

I have used the Threepersons holster since 1961, first from S.D. Meyers (El Paso) and latter from El Paso Saddlery and I think the Simply Rugged is better for a field holster.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I have a Mernickle Holster for my BH, It is pretty nice and will work for strong side or Crossdraw. I also got one of their heavy belts which is close to 1/4" thick and doesn't twist at all when you draw the gun.

I got a different style Mernickle for my S&W 696 which has a Thumb Break and is only strong side. I like it better.

I would have a look a Mernickle. He is well known here and elsewhere and makes a real nice holster.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/index.htm

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Mold
    Well, I thought posting here might make the choice a little easier, guess I was wrong. j/k

Thanks for the suggestions and replies. I'll look around online a little more, kick some ideas around, and probably order something next week.

I'm liking the looks of the Mernickle FC4, and some of the Simply Rugged seem to make a lot of sense too.
    Last edited by Hunter711; 04-05-2015 at 06:29 PM.

I'm using a Simply Rigged pancake holster for my Smith Model 69 44mag. I've usually used Bianchi and similar large brand leather holsters. Not anymore. After having a holster custom made, you can see the difference in the stitching, feel the difference in leather, and the fit of your weapon in the holster seems more spot on. I plan on selling off my other holsters and going with upgrades from now on, especially since they see more time outside than inside now.

Boolit Master
    For the 1 1/2" belt there is none better than the Kramerleather.com Double Thick Gun Belt Horsehide. They are $140.00. I have to carry every day and this is what I have used for over 20 years. They wear like iron and there is no better trouser belt that fits in the belt loops.

I've carried the steel frame 1911 with this belt without difficulty and the Colt SAA. This belt makes carrying my daily carry alloy frame 1911 a cinch.

Boolit Master
    I have switched to Simply Rugged for all of my Single Actions, Double Actions, and Autos.

Banned
    It may be worth noting that the average belt loop on a pair of blue jeans is actually 1 3/4" not 1 1/2". That may not seem like a big difference but using a belt that fits the belt loops combined with a holster that fits the belt, makes for a stable rig. As a rule the belt slots/tunnel of the holster should match the width of the belt. That is a critical factor for a solid rig and one that a lot of folks seem to miss.

A full flap holster offers more protection than an open top but the trade off is access.

As previously stated, when seated, a crossdraw holster works well. If you spend a lot of time on a tractor, in a truck, etc.; there is some advantage to that rig. I don't care for crossdraw rigs but I recognize their place.

I personally prefer a strong side holster with a thumb break as opposed to a hammer strap, but again that's personal preference and not royal edict.

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	136118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0801.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	136119
    The Pancake is for my own 44 flat top. the thumb-break is for a 45 LC 5 1/2. I prefer a safety strap on my holsters, so that my six gun and I don't part company should I take a tumble. For 6 inches and under I prefer strong side holsters, with longer barrels I choose a cross-draw. My 327's are holstered accordingly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	136121.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	136120
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast