Thread: Turkey in the back yard.

Banned

Turkey in the back yard.

Look at this beard. Attachment 135846

Banned

better picture

Boolit Master

Welcome him to the freezer.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

In Remembrance
    Ah, a turkey that knows the season is not open. lol

Boolit Master

Wow!!
    Take a kid along

Banned

I can't shoot him. They are next door every morning. The hen was in my driveway this morning. Seen deer this morning too. That turkey is HUGE. But I just can't do it. Do we need to kill? The wonder to see him is enough. Right outside my kitchen window too. I am just so happy over it. I am blessed with the wonder.

Boolit Master
    When we lived at Beeville, TX, there was a hen that came by now and again, could stand flatfooted and drink out of the waist high bird bath.
    MIGHT have weighed 5-6 lb after drinking.
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.

Boolit Grand Master
    it is the wonder of nature

but there is the wonder of the deep fryer as well
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Freezer?
    Go directly to oven, do not pass go, do not collect $200
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Vendor Sponsor

That bird would make a FINE Easter dinner sir! Why, he would be the guest of honor even!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Yawn...... Got three just like him in the back yard. That and a dozen hens. THEY DO KNOW ITS TURKEY SEASON. That's why they are in MY backyard.
    (retired game warden). If I want to eat turkey, I prefer a "butter ball". I'll just put up a turkey target, shoot it with the 1893 Marlin .25-36M with a NOE 90gr FNGC and pretend I shot it with the Marlin! That's the only way it's legal as I feed them with the deer.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150320_200205.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	135906

I have the same problem but they are the wifes pets. They roost on an old clothsline pole. Maybe we can eat the offspring.

Boolit Master
    I have a dandy three year old gobbler that eats with my chickens pretty often. Sometimes he has as many as ten hens with him but this morning there were only six that I saw.

Youth season opens here next weekend. Maybe one of the youngsters will get a chance at him but I'll try to put them on one of the two year olds in the neighborhood. He didn't get this big by letting people take shots at him.

During turkey season or deer season I hunt within a few hundred yards of the house but if they get in the yard its sanctuary.

I can set at the kitchen table and watch them for hours.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Don't blame you Jim, I don't hunt anything close to the house (well, crows I do) . Getting older I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    Yawn...... Got three just like him in the back yard. That and a dozen hens. THEY DO KNOW ITS TURKEY SEASON. That's why they are in MY backyard.
    (retired game warden). If I want to eat turkey, I prefer a "butter ball". I'll just put up a turkey target, shoot it with the 1893 Marlin .25-36M with a NOE 90gr FNGC and pretend I shot it with the Marlin! That's the only way it's legal as I feed them with the deer.
    As a retired game warden, you should know it's a big no-no to feed the wild critters! Here in CO it's even illegal.

Just kidding actually - I'd feed 'em too if I lived someplace where they'd come around regularly. I love watching the birds swarming my bird feeders and the bunnies in our yard. We've even had deer in the yard a couple times. Typical suburbia 'hood, but there's a "wild" greenbelt nearby so we get a few visitors.

But the only way I'd want to shoot critters in my my own yard would be with my DSLR camera and a telephoto lens. Which I've been known to do! If I saw a big tom like that in my yard I'd have a fit!

Squirrels on my bird feeders are another story.....

Banned

I love the squirrels too. They need to eat.
    Carol gripes but NO, I will not shoot them. Yes, I am a hunter but I go in the woods, not in my yard. I can't even hunt squirrels too close to my yard, deer either. I go far away.
    Rondog, you will be my friend forever. But that tom is forever safe here. So are my squirrels. Such wonderful critters. True hunters have such love of animals. I try to live that way.

Banned

I find more friends here with ethics so please take my hand. You are the best ever.

Banned

A hen in the back yard today.Attachment 136003 Did not see Tom.

Boolit Master

Turkey's squirrels birds, if they come in my yard the'll leave quicker than they came, my dog's have the property lines staked out!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Banned

My little dog is always on a leash and deer have come to 10' of her. She sits and looks at them. She loves to chase a squirrel but does not understand that they go up a tree. So funny. But she would not harm one anyway. You would not believe the geese that go over my yard every day and night. They fly at night.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast