Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear Protection While Hunting

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie

Ear Protection While Hunting

Anyone with experience using electronic hearing protection while hunting?; makes, models and styles.
    I would like to use this when I go elk hunting with a 9.3 CZ-550 this fall.
    Does anybody have friends on the TV hunting shows and what they use to protect their hearing on the said "Infomercials"
    I think I should have asked this question when I was 13 tears old!
    Thanks
    When I sit down to look at my rifles in the safe.....
    I can very consistently shoot one inch groups at 100 yards.
    When I sit on the bench at the shooting range.....
    I always wish I was sitting down looking at my rifles in the safe.

Boolit Buddy

I use Peltor 6s Tactical. The protect your hearing, increase your sensitivity to sound (squirrels, birds, and other creatures moving in the woods) and if you live in a cold state they keep your ears warm too!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm on my second set of Pro Ears Gold. Work really good in the woods and most times you can hear pistol bullets smack. First set was dropped out of tree stand and was more cost efficient to buy a new set instead of repairing them. Used first set for about eight years.

Sportear is good and pricey. But hey cost does mean something generally.
    Charlie

Boolit Master

I have a pair of Howard Leight R-01526 earmuffs

Pros: great microphone sensitivity, can hear a lot of the wildlife I can't hear with out them. They fit comfortably and the on/off knob is designed well. They are slim enough to put my hunting watch cap over. The MP3 connection is good, it allows listening to music or whatever with its own volume. That is your MP3 player can be set on low, while the microphones are on high so those sounds are louder.

Cons: the microphones have a slight humm, more so with a cord plugged in, sort of like an open mike. They also react to the phone antenna when downloading/sending. It gets worse if the phone is closer to the headset.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Huh?? what's the question??

I too have used the Howard Leight R-01526 but they are also not convenient for rifle shooting as they get in the way hitting the rifle stock. I usually hunt without as not a lot of shots fired anyhow. BTW could you please speak up, I have trouble hearing you.

Boolit Master

I had a pricey set of ProEars I wore on the range. For the cost they didn't last nearly as long as I thought they should. I bought a cheap pair, I believe Caldwell, for hunting. Protection is OK, bulk not too bad, could hear hogs crunching corn under the feeder in the dark with them, and they lasted through a solid year of weekly hunting. Battery life is not good.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    What happens in the rain? Do they still work virtually under water? That is an important question around here.

My MSAs are pretty much water proof. I wear them in the rain. And the sweat from my ears doesn't corrode the batteries.

I wouldn't want to wear my Caldwell's in the rain. I wanted a set of walker game ears or something like them but just didn't want to spend the high $$ for them and not sure how well they work and/or hold up. Something that goes inside the ear would be best for rifle in my opinion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Huh?? what's the question??
    nope, i never had. sitting on the bench it was either ear plugs or ear muffs.

I have walkers game ear muffs, work great very comfortable.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    What happens in the rain? Do they still work virtually under water? That is an important question around here.
    I use the Peltor 6 tactical while duck hunting the Wet side of Washington (I'm familiar with Quilcene rain). I would recommend a pair.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm on my 2nd set of SportEars. Bought the 1st pair at a SCI convention some 8 or so years ago. Yeah, they are spendy, those were $1900, but they are tuned to match your hearing capability, just like hearing aids. Rifles, handguns, lawn mowers, chainsaws, etc. have taken their toll on my hearing. The hearing aids do help that problem re: frequency sensitivity. HOWEVER, my 1st pair went back to the factory several times, at ~$70 per trip, to correct damage from sweat. I never wore them in the rain. They were not water resistant, let alone waterproofed. My new pair are waterproof, so now I can wear them "whenever" without worrying about it. So far so good, plus this set doesn't eat batteries like the 1st pair did. The adjustable amplification is nice as is the clamping circuit that limits loud sounds. That way I have a pretty good level of hearing protection even when hunting (SportEar, no muffs). I wear mine with muffs at the range and wish I'd done so 50 years ago (even though the technology wasn't available then!). I wish they weren't so spendy, but good hearing aids can cost a helluva lot more without providing the noise protection. FWIW....Pilgrim

Banned

Seems like a lot of the avid pheasant and quail hunters use them as they hunt in groups and there is a lot of shooting.

I'd kind of like to try them. I'm an old artilleryman and have some hearing loss already, I'd prefer to keep what I have left.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by gtgeorge View Post
    I too have used the Howard Leight R-01526 but they are also not convenient for rifle shooting as they get in the way hitting the rifle stock. I usually hunt without as not a lot of shots fired anyhow. BTW could you please speak up, I have trouble hearing you.
    OK I am typing louder !! you hear me NOW!!!

Peltor Tac 6S has a scalloped out section so you can fit closer to the stock
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    OK I am typing louder !! you hear me NOW!!!

Peltor Tac 6S has a scalloped out section so you can fit closer to the stock
    Thanks for that....everyone always seems to whisper around me and I can't make out what they are saying....it's a conspiracy I think. Maybe those scallops will help me hear better if I hold them against my ear

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X.. Comfortable .. I've wore them up to 12hrs straight .. Usually I forgets to take them of when I'm done hunting or leaving the range..
    Good sound, great direction sensitivity .. Up to 600hrs on 3x AAA' s .. Aux connection for radio or similar..

Boolit Master
    We use the Howard Leight R-01526 muffs when at the range. When hunting, I just use one earplug as there are few and sometime no shots fired. This topic has me thinking though; my son is a top percussionist in his school and in fact, in our County. I bought him a set of earplugs that attenuate the tones and Db levels responsible for the majority of damage to the the ears while still allowing him to hear most of the music being played around him. The plugs are called, "Earasers". They only provide 19Db of attenuation, but probably sufficient for folks who have trouble using muffs while hunting.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789