Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arthur Langsford 22-17 squeeze bore chamber

Arthur Langsford 22-17 squeeze bore chamber

Not sure if this goes into special projects or rim fire ?

we just finished putting together a 17 myra extruder /22-17 swager on a BSA martini rifle .It uses a 22LR cartridge in the chamber and when fired the bullet goes through the special long forcing cone chamber and out comes a 40 gr 17 cal elongated bullet .

Finished testing for function at 200 rounds at 50 yards with the 1-6 inch twist and had favorable results ,no leading in the chamber and grouping aprox an inch .haven't tested the penetration on steel plates yet.

What it is basically a 17 mach 11 with a 40 grain bullet that costs the same to shoot as 22 LR.I am going to scope it next as the peeps are only as good as my older eyes.

This is most intriguing.

Some the bullet swages in the barrel? Is the barrel .17cal full length with an elongated, tapered throat?

What is the muzzle velocity?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

all the sizing of the bullet takes place in the chamber and the barrel is a 172 ,1 in 6 inch twist .I haven't cronied it yet ,the article does state that the cartridge will gain 200 fps over the 22 mother cartridge being shot .

It was invented in australia in the 60-70s in NSW when there was no commercial 17/20 cal rim fire cartridges ,,This is what I found on google

the reamer is readily availiable but the rifiling button was custom ground for the 1x6 twist as the regular 17 uses a 1x9 and tumbles the long heavy bullets

Boolit Master

Sure would like to see a recovered Boolit.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    Neat idea but why? What will a .17 boolit do that a .22 won't?

If your going to throw away that peep sight let me know, I have a BSA model 8 in need of one be sure and post some pics of recovered boolits as stated before.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master

Niffty. Cant wrap my head around it but i am most interested.
    Love to see the recovered bullits.
    Last edited by leebuilder; 04-04-2015 at 09:09 AM.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    Read about the 22 squeezing down to a 17 in rifle. Article was in a Benchrest Shooters Magazine. Thought it was neat and wish I had kept it.

Question British "Littlejohn Adaptor" - new to me...

Quote Originally Posted by blackbahart View Post
    we just finished putting together a 17 myra extruder /22-17 swager on a BSA martini rifle .It uses a 22LR cartridge in the chamber and when fired the bullet goes through the special long forcing cone chamber and out comes a 40 gr 17 cal elongated bullet
    http://arcana.wikidot.com/taper-bore-gun
    "The only taper bore weapon to see widespread production and use was the German sPzB412 which, despite being designated a heavy anti-tank rifle, was actually an anti-tank gun in all but name. Tapering from 28mm at the breech to 20mm at the muzzle...
    Britain and the US also experimented with taper bore guns - or more accurately, taper-bore adaptors for normal guns such as the British "Littlejohn Adaptor" - but these were quickly made obsolete by the widespread deployment of APDS ammunition that did a better job at a lower price."
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

recovered bullets from snow bank ,melting fast in the last few days so went hunting

pic of reamer and some fired cases

Last edited by blackbahart; 04-10-2015 at 02:24 AM. Reason: added pics

Boolit Grand Master
    Would be interested to see if a hollowpoint would be squeezed shut on passage, and if it was not....whether it would expand on impact as per the original configuration would.

Wet phone books would resolve the issue.

Boolit Master
    Again, why do this? It's neat, but why? what's the advantage? Is the increase in sectional density enough to make it worth while?

Why do I have 34 different sets of dies !!

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Buddy
    is a stronger than normal .22 action needed for this? or can a typical .22 action hold it?
    hello.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    Again, why do this? It's neat, but why? what's the advantage? Is the increase in sectional density enough to make it worth while?
    Why do anything we do? Because we can. That's all the reason one needs.

Boolit Master
    Well duh! I know that but what I'm interested in knowing is what purpose the inventor had in mind. Necessity is the mother of invention. Sure it's possible the inventor just dreamt up a pointless idea just for the proverbial giggles but more likely (s)he was trying to accomplish something particular that a regular 22lr wouldn't do.

I read about this design a few years ago and found it interesting ,here is a link to the google article that explains it
    http://gunsmagazine.com/langsfords-s...bore-rimfires/

I am not sure what the pressures are and what is the best action for the project .I have a few martini rifles and the one I am using out of convenice as is a take down cadet and I can just unscrew the barrel by hand and replace the original 22 LR barrel and it is held in place by the thumb screw on the left hand side of the receiver (slow take down model 8 I believe, used by the Canadian Army cadets )

We made the barrel out of 416 SS barrel stock and it is a 6 grove 1 in 6 " twist 22 inches long and profiled to .900 to fit the fore end .I do believe it is over built but when reading on the different forms there is a lot of people expressing opinions on the pressures so we went a bit on the sturdy side to eliminate any failure .All the fired cases do not show any sign of pressure or bulging .

The real appeal for me was a 17 cal rim fire at the same cost per shot as 22 which is what it uses as the 17 mach 2 runs 12$ per box of 50 VS 22 LR at 5$ at todays prices.
    Last edited by blackbahart; 04-09-2015 at 12:55 AM.

Boolit Master

Neat pics. Thanks for sharing.
    I like it. Would be a great hunting rifle. Wonder what kind of effective range you could get, much better than normal 22lr, thats a big plus.

Where did you get the barrel??.
    Got so many projects on the go, should start another.
    I like to do un-normal stuff to learn and expand my knowlage.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

The photos in the article are interesting. If the Stinger shot well enough and maintained its HP the extra 200fps and SD would be very favourable.
    We have guys like this to thank for the options we have now.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

the old fellow I hang out with is a barrel maker and I'm getting a great education on making them also .We made this barrel and hand turned the reamer as it is very fragile looking and don't want to get too brave till we get at least 3 more done .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast