Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uberti 1875 Top Break Revolver

Boolit Master

Uberti 1875 Top Break Revolver

Does anyone have any opinions or experience with the Uberti 1875 #3 Top Break Revolver? thank you.

I would be interested in those opinions myself. I got to handle one a few weeks ago. It was interesting.

Boolit Grand Master

Top Break or Open Top? 1875 would be Open Top, I think. Top Break is the S&W Model 3 replicas.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I have a Schofield replica in .45 Colt. It is an extremely accurate revolver, does better with Schofield level loads (220 grain bullet at 700fps) than with the heavier Colt loading, does not tolerate black powder and functions flawlessly once the gimcrack un-safe safety device is removed and thrown away. This gun has had close to 2,000 rounds through it; mixed Schofield level and Colt BP level loads, and shows no sign of loosening. Mine is 7 1/2 inch barrel so is noticeable when one carries it in a vehicle.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Wow they dont give them away. I had one I bought back in the late 90s, not sure who made it now. Chambered in 45 colt, the long barrel. Nice gun, it had issues with those small rims ejecting them sometimes, one would fall back under the ejector and you would have to mess with it to clear it. Other than than very nice, somebody stole it. Dont see me laying that kind of cash for another one. Thats 2 blackhawks.

Perm-Banned
    that has to be the creme de le creme of long colts. i have a load suggestion for it, get 457 or 458 round ball and resized them with a push through sizer to .451 or .452. use black horn 209 powder with a 60 thousands .451 wad over it. put the resized round ball in on top of the wad and roll crimp the case to hold the ball in. this load is perfect for all colt and smith uberti 45 long colt replicas. i also do this in my 1871 .38 special open top which i size a .380 ropund ball to .357 and it is very very accurate and the gun functions perfectly with it. no unburnt powder, clean and ft. per sec are always the same.

Boolit Master

I bought it, it's a 44-40, it's used but in good shape, plus it was a bit less expensive than a new one!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Top Break or Open Top? 1875 would be Open Top, I think. Top Break is the S&W Model 3 replicas.
    Uberti lists them as 1875 No.3 top break revolver.

Congratulations, that is one that is on my short list of going to need to have one of these days. I think .44-40 will be much better if you decide to shoot bp than the .45.

Boolit Master
    LGS had two at about $900. 45 Colt with long barrel; looked at them for years but couldn't justify one. I stumbled into a 5 inch blue 45 Colt for $675 out the door last fall...day after watching Tom Selleck in CROSSFIRE TRAIL movie for umpteenth time. I bought DILLON dies and conversion unit for the 550B, but still getting the reloading room set up in the new house. 200 nickle plated 45 Colt casings and various 45 moulds completes the outfit.
    45 Auto Rim data looks like a good starting place for this.

Boolit Master

I'll try a 200gr lfp with 8.2 gr Unique, same load I use in my old Winchester 92 & see how it goes!

Boolit Master

Attachment 135825
    I been thinking of getting one in 38 special.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    I presume they make the 38s smaller vs the Blackhawk where its just heavier? I really liked the one I had, just not sure about the price, see what a friend who works in a guns tore can find.

The ones I handled appeared to be the same physical size in 38 as in 45. I didn't handle the 45 so cannot say about the weight. It was probably lighter than the 38. The pricing was a bit over $900.
    It seemed to handle nicely. The different action would take a bit of getting used to after a lifetime of S&W mod 14 usage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laramie and Iver Johnson.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	135892Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a pair from the 1870's.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	135893Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a pair of 45's.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	135894I have an 1878 model of the Smith and Wesson New model three in a 45 Colt. It was a short run from Uberti with the Beretta name on it. It's also called the Laramie. It shoots much better than my SAA repicas, so I carry it when in the woods all the time. Mostly to shoot porkies. It would be good for cowboy action shooting, but it has adjustable sights.

Boolit Master
    So they make one model of gun and just use different chambering, vs making a smaller scale 38 spcl.

I have never owned a 44-40, how does it compare to the 45 colt? That would be the standard pressure colt, I know they wont take the hot loads like my blackhawk.

[QUOTE=Tackleberry41;3205628]So they make one model of gun and just use different chambering, vs making a smaller scale 38 spcl.

They have at least two models of top breaks, at least two different latch systems, the Schofield style and the 1878 style.

Boolit Master
    The one I had was the Schofield style, pull back on the rear sight, guess the other style you push up on it? There was somebody who copied the schofields but didnt get the angles right on the latches and they had a habit of coming open? I really liked the one I had, just wish someone hadnt stolen it.

I never had that trouble.
    As to the 45 Colt or the 44-40, I believe the cylinder and frame is slightly longer than an original to allow the 45 Colt, but I would have been fine with a 44-40. In my rifles, I've had better luck in accuracy loads with them. I guess the tapered lighter brass seals better in the chamber.

Owen

Boolit Master
    Yea the original design was made to shoot the shorter schofield. One might say a bit short sighted, since a colt could shoot schofield or the colt, the S&W could only shoot the schofield. May have sold more had they went with a more common ammo.

I was reading up on 44-40, going to ask my LGS what they can get me if I am inclined to spend the cash. Guess 44-40 isnt the same 44 as other 44s. Does Uberti go with the original barrel specs or do they just go with an easier to get 44 or .429 barrel? I imagine wouldn't be hard to size the 240gr .429 mold I have down to fit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast