Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Reinforcing my boolit trap

Reinforcing my boolit trap

Well, I had to reinforce my trap.

The trap made of, on hand surplus that I had laying around or have access to at no cost, 55 gal delrin drums and cat litter. I originally wanted sand but at $175 a truck load against free cat litter, cat litter, won. First I cut the top off and sifted the litter in through a screen to remove all undesirables, then screwed on a new top. The drums really do a good job of sealing back up a preventing the litter from leaking out.

Now, my only and new problem is, punching through with loads that are moving over 1800-2000 fps and with the heavier boolits. I can't remember the last time I shot a jacketed load but getting some new slow twist 30 cal barrels every shot so far has punched through, so know I'm doubling up on my stop. I hate to waste perfectly good lead. I've not reclaimed any of the lead yet, but have looked at the lead inside and won't regret making these.

I staple my targets directly to it and turn it periodically. I've got to paint them again that white sticks out like a sore thumb.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150402_180805.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	135728
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150402_180841.jpg   20150402_180858.jpg  
    Last edited by 1johnlb; 04-02-2015 at 08:27 PM.

I'd like to see the pics too. I've been thinking about making something for pistols. It pains me to leave all the nice lead in the clay berms on the range...
    Bring the smoke!

Pics are up.

Boolit Master

Why not a dirt berm? Dirt is pretty cheap.

I've only two acres behind the house and 1 is wooded don't want to dig a hole for the dirt, plus my intent is to build a tumbler to power behind my tractor to sift out the litter through the boolit holes to reclaim the lead. That's why I'm slowly turning the drum, to keep from making large holes. The delrin drums are extremely tough and don't rip like the steel drums do, they just keep making little holes. At least I'm hoping it will be that easy if not I'll just sift out the lead into a new drum by hand.
    Last edited by 1johnlb; 04-03-2015 at 02:35 AM.

Boolit Master
    What about setting it on its' side and shooting at it the long way instead?
    I would also mount a piece of 1.5" styrofoam (pink or blue) on the end to hold the targets and make a somewhat self healing cover.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

The tops are sealed to prevent rain from washing any lead dust out on the ground. Although the run off goes away from my property, I have a nearby garden and wish to prevent any and as much contamination as possible, not to mention the potato vines will shortly be blocking them if they were laying down.
    As far as the Styrofoam, the only current cost I have are the staples and I like that fact.

Thanks for the suggestions