RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contemplating Purchase of 45-70 - Recommend Best Rifle for the Round Please

Contemplating Purchase of 45-70 - Recommend Best Rifle for the Round Please

I am considering the purchase of a used rifle chambered in 45-70. No particular rifle in mind. But I have no experience with the 45-70. I would like to know what rifle has worked well for my fellow casters.

I would cast and reload for the rifle. I do know, from reading posts on this forum and elsewhere that there are several lever guns chambered for the 45-70. I have hunted with a pre-64 Winchester 94 in 30-30 and liked it. So, I am familiar with the lever action.

Pithy pronouncements preferred.

Thank you,

MichiganMike

Vendor Sponsor

Marlin Model 1895 with Ballard Rifling .. and JM Barrel Stamp
    There are several versions of this rifle.. 18" 22" and longer Blued, Stainless and laminated wood versions
    stay away from the newer Remington produced Marlins .. unkindly known as Remlins .. too many issues with quality control
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 04-02-2015 at 03:16 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    My Marlin guide gun is one of my favorite rifles. The accuracy always surprises me and Ive never had any problems with it. It is a early 2000s JM stamped model.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

Looked at Henry ($644 Buds)
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+American+Waln

and Rossi ($700) etc. CVA has a single shot that is fantastic for $300 and its a shooter.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/76021
    group from Alabama selling them new on Gunbroker free shipping. Got a gun/scope/die/brass/rings for under $500 cool gun and fun to shoot. CVA makes it in stainless too. Great gun.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Siamese Mauser

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    +1 for marlin 95. I have the cowboy model. It's longer 26" barrel makes recoil tolerable without a earsplitting recoil reducer, and the aesthetics are hard to argue with. It just looks right with the octagon bbl.

In Remembrance
    The best one is going to be the one you want or like. Personally I have marlins, but I'm not going to say they are the best. For my use they are fine, maybe perfect, for others use they wouldn't even be considered, but if a lever is what you are after, you wont be disappointed with one.

Boolit Master

When it comes right down to it the 45-70 is one of the most versatile cartridges we can own. I think your choosing that particular caliber is the right choice. I seem to prefer the Marlin, but in the end the choice must be yours. It would be great if you knew some shooting friends who had 45-70 levers for you to heft and even shoot. You will determine right a way which one you prefer. You will be happy with the 45-70 I know that much.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    OP, Do you plan on hunting with this mythical rifle?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    If you want a single shot, the variety is very wide, with a lot to be said for several of them. But for a repeating rifle I think the current Marlin 95 stands out above the others. It has a round bolt, and is internally different from the earlier 1895 which disappeared with the conversion to war work in the First World War.

The 95 is easier to scope than most lever-actions, and I wouldn't worry too much about the rifling type.

Their Micro-Groove rifling came in about 1957, and their Sako-actioned Model 322 in .222 Remington had a groove diameter only .002in. greater than that of the lands. Even this would probably spin a hard cast .457 bullet for a while. But in .222 the accuracy, while exemplary to begin with, was very rapidly destroyed by erosion. With the exception of the .22 rimfire it was modified to a deeper version in 1968. I don't know whether the New Model 1895, originating in 1972, ever had Micro-Groove rifling, but it wouldn't have been the extreme sort and should always had rifling which should handle cast bullets very well.

If you are likely to use powerful smokeless loads, you would probably find the shortest-barreled versions less comfortable to shoot.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 04-03-2015 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post
    OP, Do you plan on hunting with this mythical rifle?
    Yes, this would be a hunting rifle. And thank you to each of you for sharing your experience and expertise with me.

Happy Easter!

Boolit Master

If you go with a Marlin don't worry about Micro-Groove barrel. I own several, in different calibers, including 45-70 and they all shoot cast extremely well.

Larry

Boolit Grand Master

There is such a madrid of rifle types available in this cartridge then throw in the history behind the diffrent types of rifles. The lever action has always held a sweet spot for american hunters and plinkers, The Sharps, Hepburns, Remington rolling blocks, High walls and Ballards all most always draw a crowd and harken back to an interesting era in American hunting. (Millions of buffalo couldnt be wrong) Hit the shops and gun shows see what feels and looks right to you, what you want and go from there. Also your budget is going to be a part of the decission. C Sharps or Shiloh can build whatever you heart desires Alnong with CPA ( Stevens 44 1/2 replicas). Marlins are solid rifles and reasonable money. Winchester are great but originals comand premium or collector prices. AN old winchester could be an interesting choice.

For what you will likely pay for the used JM stamped Marlin you can get a new which I have now handled many and all is well with the new Remlins in my book. Their transition period when they moved was supposed to be the issue but I know I am happy with my new one after getting tired of used ones going for more. It's only a few weeks old so far and only about 100 rounds but works smoother than my old Marlin in 30/30.

It's all been said in the above posts...
    For your first and maybe only 45-70, a JM marked Marlin 1895 in any configuration is tough to beat.
    Along with various Marlins, I have Rolling Blocks, Sharps Replicas, Rugers, a Browning, Winchesters and Thompson centers....and they are all fun.
    However, my go to 45-70 for hunting is a Marlin... any Marlin, and either a Ranch Dog 350 or RCBS 300 grain bullet at 1600 fps.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Grand Master
    Lots of good .45-70's out there. H&R's are good utility rifles. Accurate, simple, and built like a tank. I like the Henry's as they are made in America and have a good reputation. If I win the lotto, you can bet I'll be looking for a Ruger #1 in .45-70. There is a book written about the .45-70 by Paul Matthews, "40 Years with the .45-70". You would enjoy it and learn much about the cartridge.

I got the marlin, Didn't like it ,it was to heavy, so i bought a Encore barrel and love it, over the winter i started building a 45-70 on a 303 British action, have the barrel on it and feeding from the magazine , but now it's time to mow and fish so , it will have to wait...

Boolit Buddy
    I know I am going against popular opinion here but I absolutely love my new Marlin 1895. I got it new last summer, and I don't know if I got one of the better ones or what, but the fit and finish was actually pretty good. The lever wasn't as butter smooth as some of my other guns, but working the action 100 times a day for several days worked wonders! Mine is the SBL and while there is some weight there, with the 18.5 inch barrel it balances beautifully and snaps to the shoulder perfectly every time. Topped with a Leupold 1-4x20 shotgun scope, and pushing a 415 grain cast boolit at 1,600 fps, it is one serious hammer on deer in our thick PA woods!!!

Banned
    tc encore in a MGM heavy factory barrel(your choice from 16 1/4" - 27" barrel)

i own a encore with a 23" mgm heavy factory barrel with the 444 marlin and it shoots lights out. besides, ya only need one!!!

Boolit Master
    I have an H&R Buffalo Classic and a "Remlin" 1895SBL. Both are great, with good fit and finish. Now I have personally seen a few junk Remlins, so when I bought mine, I inspected every inch very carefully before putting my money down, but mine is just as good as my JM Marlin 336 .30-30, or maybe even a bit better. Don't let the horror stories scare you away from a Marlin 1895, but do make sure you inspect carefully, just in case the one you're handling was made during the transition when they had troubles. Now I would also like to get a 1874 Sharps (or probably a replica due to cost) someday. but these two above rifles do everything I want a .45-70 for.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?