MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: AR scope help

Boolit Master

AR scope help

I just finished my AR build for hunting and am trying to figure out a scope. This is going to get used primarily for coyotes so something with some magnification is needed. Price is keeping me out of things like the Mark AR and Nikon M223, but I like the Nikon P223 and Burris Drop Zone 223. 3-9 magnification would be great but I see the Burris in 3-12. Does anybody have any experience with these optics or suggestions in the roughly $200 range?

Boolit Grand Master

I have the P223 and it's perfect for my use. Which is only to punch paper since I can't use it for hunting. That being said I would have no issue taking it hunting. Glass is clear and bright. I like that it's fixed power. The P mount is a little odd but works well.

Boolit Master

Good to hear. For some reason, and I know it's either an expensive or bad idea, I have my mind stuck on a quick release mount. I'm planning to build a 16" M4-style AR soon, but I still see myself wanting to throw my trijicon on this one and blast away. Part of wanting to keep the scope down in cost is to have some money left for a Larue or American Defense QR mount.

Boolit Buddy

I have had good luck with the sweet 223 scope from bsa. Good glass for the money and like the different turrets for diff weight bullets

Bushnell AR Optics Drop Zone 223 BDC Reticle Riflescope with Target Turrets and Side Parallax, 4.5-18x 40mm

I paid $115 free shipping for this a couple weeks ago. Tried it out last weekend, pretty decent for a cheapo. I doubt it's worth 2 hundred. The cross hair is kind of thick and at 18x you have a small window of eye relief. OK turrets and bright enough for the range.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/...tte-black.html
    Last edited by FWest; 04-02-2015 at 12:00 PM. Reason: add link, got mine from amazon

Pick whatever scope suits your needs, and mount it with an appropriate AR cantilevered mount. There's no need to limit yourself to 'tactical' scopes.
    Last edited by Cmm_3940; 04-02-2015 at 05:39 PM.

Perma-Banned

I have one of the nikon 223 scopes it is a nice unit for the money.

Boolit Master

I just got a new Weaver KASPA tactical 3-12 that seems very nice. I'm putting it on a 30-06 but should be at home on any AR. 30mm tube 44mm objective, flip up covers and illuminated reticle with side focus, got it for just a little over $200 at Midway usa.

Boolit Master

I was thinking about the "need" for a tactical scope and am just wondering about a Nikon Buckmaster or Vortex Diamondback. I have the Nikon on a few guns and love it...best scope for the money in my opinion. I have Vortex Diamondback binos and feel the same as my Nikon scope, so if the scope is of the same quality as the binos, then it sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rich_kildow View Post
    I was thinking about the "need" for a tactical scope and am just wondering about a Nikon Buckmaster or Vortex Diamondback. I have the Nikon on a few guns and love it...best scope for the money in my opinion. I have Vortex Diamondback binos and feel the same as my Nikon scope, so if the scope is of the same quality as the binos, then it sounds good to me.
    FWIW, I have a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 on one of my ARs. It's a full-length rifle with 20" heavy barrel, so keeping it light was not an issue. I used the Burris AR-PEPR mount. I have another (non-AR) rifle with a Buckmaster 4-12x50SF that I also like quite well. I have bad eyes and like big scopes that let in lots of light.

-Chris

On Heaven's Range

The Leupold "Mark AR" scopes are specifically intended for the AR-15-type rifles.

My Armalite has the Mark AR 3-9X version mounted, and it serves very well.

This version has a bullet-drop compensator which is very effective. The elevation turret is calibrated to one particular load; on my scope it says "55gr @ 3100", and my standard load delivers 3097 fps at he rifle's muzzle.... close enough!

Once the rifle is correctly zeroed as per instructions, the range for the shot at-hand is set on the elevation dial and the shot taken with a dead-on hold.

It works for me. Out to 500 yards, the farthest I've tried it, it delivers center-of-mass hits on a steel IPSC silhouette, holding dead-on. (It does the same at closer ranges when properly set, as well.)

Good sight, good price. I like it.
    Last edited by BruceB; 04-02-2015 at 07:01 PM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

I have the Burris BDC 3x9 on my AR and it works. It will compensate out to 600 yards with a 55 grain bullet. I've only shot out to 250 yards it is very clear for the money I like it.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    You don't need a 4x12 or 6x18 on an Ar platform. The rifle is made for firing out to about 600 yards on a man sized target. A scope that is designed for the 223 cartridge with a BDC for that cartridge with yardage hold over lines would be an ideal size scope. Enjoy
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    You don't need a 4x12 or 6x18 on an Ar platform. The rifle is made for firing out to about 600 yards on a man sized target. A scope that is designed for the 223 cartridge with a BDC for that cartridge with yardage hold over lines would be an ideal size scope. Enjoy
    I agree, and due to its mild recoil you don't need an expensive optic for it either. I have Nikons on most of my ARs but am really not keen on the BDC reticle, I would much rather have a standard mildot reticle so I can see the target better. Those open dots distract me a bit but they still work good for what I use them for but like the lines better than dots. The good thing is that the P-223 is calibrated to that round, sort of, but using Nikons Spot-On program or one like Strelok you can dial it in to the actual load you are using.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Bub
    If you live in a state that Natchez will sell to (I do not) look there. I love the Japanese Weaver scopes (Kaspa are Chinese) like the Classic V. They have a 2-10x38 for $129.99 w/ Ballistic-X reticle or $119.99 w/ dual-x reticle. I have that scope on a 308 bolt rifle, nice & compact with clear glass.
    Check out the Weaver Grand Slams too if you want to stretch your budget a little. I have a couple of them (Japan models, I don't think the Grand Slams were moved from Japan) and Natchez has their own Weaver Classic Extreme scopes that get great reviews but they are NOT the old classic extremes. Originally they were made in Japan but now Natchez gets them from the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    Unless you need a scope that big just to see out that far like I do.

Also - strictly my opinion here - what's the point of having a 1MOA rifle, and putting an optic on it with a 3 MOA reticle? "Man sized target" may be a good standard for an off-the-shelf carbine, but many custom AR rifles rival bolt guns for accuracy. I buy my scopes based on what I need them to do, and what the rifle is capable of doing.

-Chris
    Last edited by Cmm_3940; 04-24-2015 at 04:38 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot 2,500 to 6,000 rounds a year at prairie dogs mostly with AR match rifles. I use Leupold 6.5x 20’s on them. Same setup for fox and coyotes. I like this setup for this application. For a strictly calling coyote setup I would prefer a lower power bottom end but I have yet to lose a fox or coyote for being overscoped. With the new 6X scopes a 3 x 18 would be perfect for a calling rifle IMHO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1771.jpg   IMG_1651.jpg  
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-24-2015 at 06:19 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by daniel lawecki View Post
    I have the Burris BDC 3x9 on my AR and it works. It will compensate out to 600 yards with a 55 grain bullet. I've only shot out to 250 yards it is very clear for the money I like it.
    i use that scope and i have a fixed 4x on one too
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

I ended up leaving it up to my wife after adding 3 different ones to my wishlist. She got me the Nikon P-223 and it is now mounted with p-series mounts. I'm hoping to get it zero's with some factory ammo this weekend before I start playing with loads for it.